what can i say?
the mood that the composition portrays is awesome- makes me feel really happy
the techniques you used were really good, and i liked how you went into the contrasting section using minor chords and sustained notes, which stood out from the short, major sounding bursts.

really enjoyable to listen to as it sounded perfect to me even the VST sounded realistic the only thing i'd recommend is that you shouldn't rely too heavily on regular intervals and scale patterns, as messing around with notes and finding notes outside of the scale that sound good can make songs sound more original.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28574818#post28574818
Quote by naybnbyuwn
what can i say?
the mood that the composition portrays is awesome- makes me feel really happy
the techniques you used were really good, and i liked how you went into the contrasting section using minor chords and sustained notes, which stood out from the short, major sounding bursts.

really enjoyable to listen to as it sounded perfect to me even the VST sounded realistic the only thing i'd recommend is that you shouldn't rely too heavily on regular intervals and scale patterns, as messing around with notes and finding notes outside of the scale that sound good can make songs sound more original.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28574818#post28574818

Thanks for the crits! =) I'll look at yours too!

I don't know much about music theory so can't say I understand what you mean by intervals and scale patterns.. do you mean look for stuff that sounds more "outworldy"? =)
The piece has a nice strophic ABABAB form, but I would add another theme in there for good measure and make it a Rondo (ABACA or ABACABA if you're looking to extend the length). I would also take advantage of pizzicato, I would imagine having the strings pizz. the A theme the first time around would increase the impact on the listener (and I would imagine it would only take a click of the mouse with Session Strings :P). Dynamics are also a bit minimal. I would have a general dynamic outline of p-mf-mp-f-f-ff (where each corresponds to one section). The piece doesn't need many crescendos, just a change in loudness where applicable. I couldn't detect much velocity variation, which in the grand scheme of things would humanize this a lot. Right now the recording sounds a bit robotic, and while Session Strings has good samples, it requires some work to perfect. Just "scrape" your mouse along the velocity "plot." If you've already done this, I would just increase the velocity range of your "scraping" a bit more.

I imagine this would be very fun to play :P Not a lot of contemporary music is. This has a nice bouncy feel to it probably due to the spiccato sound of the strings.
Quote by WizMystery
The piece has a nice strophic ABABAB form, but I would add another theme in there for good measure and make it a Rondo (ABACA or ABACABA if you're looking to extend the length). I would also take advantage of pizzicato, I would imagine having the strings pizz. the A theme the first time around would increase the impact on the listener (and I would imagine it would only take a click of the mouse with Session Strings :P). Dynamics are also a bit minimal. I would have a general dynamic outline of p-mf-mp-f-f-ff (where each corresponds to one section). The piece doesn't need many crescendos, just a change in loudness where applicable. I couldn't detect much velocity variation, which in the grand scheme of things would humanize this a lot. Right now the recording sounds a bit robotic, and while Session Strings has good samples, it requires some work to perfect. Just "scrape" your mouse along the velocity "plot." If you've already done this, I would just increase the velocity range of your "scraping" a bit more.

I imagine this would be very fun to play :P Not a lot of contemporary music is. This has a nice bouncy feel to it probably due to the spiccato sound of the strings.

Thanks for the great crit.

I'm don't know music theory (I only play/write by ear ... and however strange it might sound I mostly play blues, fusion jazz and rock.. I however love all kinds of music) though but I'll check up what these ABABAB things mean, I guess it's the chord progression? I agree with the velocities, it could've been more dynamic, but it's hard without a keyboard.. I have to change velocities and such with the mouse and it's quite hard work if I want it to sound perfect. =)

I'll take the chord progression stuff in mind when I make a new song! Thanks =)
Last edited by Braincheese at Nov 22, 2011,
Its very nicely composed and the strings sound very realistic. I find the song to be a little choppy and parts and not so easy to listen too. I love the more graceful parts, like around 2:20 sounds fantastic and full of emotion. The arrangement seems to be a bit odd as well. It seems to increase intensity and drop without much of a climax. There are some great ideas here, its not quite a song yet however. Feels lacking in its entirety, but the composition is very well done. nice work.

c4c please: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498256
Quote by Braincheese
Thanks for the great crit.

I'm don't know music theory (I only play/write by ear ... and however strange it might sound I mostly play blues, fusion jazz and rock.. I however love all kinds of music) though but I'll check up what these ABABAB things mean, I guess it's the chord progression? I agree with the velocities, it could've been more dynamic, but it's hard without a keyboard.. I have to change velocities and such with the mouse and it's quite hard work if I want it to sound perfect. =)

I'll take the chord progression stuff in mind when I make a new song! Thanks =)

That's actually the form where A/B/C each represent a theme.

Quote by cudixx
like around 2:20

But there is no...
Very nice! Just a note, some of the notes you have are too low for a cello I'm fairly certain. Considering the fact that you compose mostly by ear, this is really good stuff. It reminds me of what I did before I took music theory classes.

I really enjoy listening to this, it's keeping me inspired during my 12-15 page paper on Beethoven's string quartets!

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494117
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat