So I recently came into about $1200 and after taking care of some necessities I have about $900-$950 to put into some new gear.

I already have two decent amps (peavey vypyr 30 and a peavey special 130) and when I had an electric (which was stolen along with a digitech multi effects pedal) I made do with that.

But I made the mistake of leaving my stuff in my car (locked and windows rolled up mind you) while stopping at a store on my way to a friends house and someone broke in and stole the guitar and the digitech pedal.

So now that Ive got the cash Im in the market to replace my stuff

I was thinking about getting a Schecter C-1 Custom because versatility is the name of the game for me, since I play everything from classic rock and metal to post-rock and ambient stuff and since its only $700 I could also see about getting a couple pedals or a decent multi-effects pedal.

But Im wondering if I should just go all in and go for a guitar in the $900 dollar range and make do with the effects on my amp.

I really like the looks of Schecter but none of the guitar stores near me have it in stock so I havent had a chance to play one in person so Im afraid that at that price there may be something wrong with it and that I should stop being a cheap bastard.

Any help or advice is welcome
Schecter has a decent quality to them and for $700 you will be good quality. Please don't think because someone spends $2000 on a les paul that they have supremely better quality. Gibsons are priced high because of their name..60+ years in the business and their legal expenses from federal raids. $700 is not cheap $99 black friday deal at guitar center is
I'd get the nice guitar. You have plenty of effects with your amp
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Get the schecter and the FX. The FX at least on the vypyr aren't really good in my opinion, you'd get better quality FX with the pedal and you get good quality sounds from a schecter C-1
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Using an MFX with a modeling amp?

Get a nice guitar you like, and then save the rest of the money to put towards a nicer amp eventually.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Using an MFX with a modeling amp?

Get a nice guitar you like, and then save the rest of the money to put towards a nicer amp eventually.

THIS! Fx sound terrible through a modeling amp! So get a nice guitar. There are some sweet Ibanez's in that price range, like the ICT700 or the RG 1451 Prestige. That's just off the top of my head though...

EDIT: Also that RG is REALLY versatile! Having owned three different schecter's the quality has gone way down hill. They really aren't worth the money IMO.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Look for a used C-1 Classic. Pretty similar to the Custom I believe, except they can be had sometimes for as little as $350. I think they were $850 new, but they are discontinued now.

C-1 Classic is really nice, nicer than the Custom imo. If you don't mind the vine inlay, (I found it distracting personally, but I liked the guitar otherwise) and can find a good price, I'd go with that.
you should just put $950 in your pocket and go to GC or Sam Ash and play and look all day, when you feel the right guitar take it home with you. Take your time and really feel and play the guitars, if you spend less you have money for effects or pedals, if you spend what you have then you have one hell of a guitar. either way it is win/win
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Whats your location? Are you willing to go used?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
southern california and yes

But I found a bitchin' c-1 custom on ebay that I think I might just have to buy