I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and it is has the crappiest tuners in the world. I need to know a good brand of tuners to swap for these. I need something reliable like locking tuners cause I bend around half of my notes, but I would prefer something a little cheaper. Any help is very much appreciated.
That's weird, normally the Epi LP Standard comes with Grovers and they're very good. Is it an old one?
Yeah I've had the same guitar for 6 years and the stock grovers have never given me trouble... Grovers are good, if you got some bad ones it was a one-off. If I was replacing mine, I'd get grovers again.
Maybe try tightening the tuners a little? Tighten the screw on top of the machine head a couple of turns, it should make them a little more responsive. As people have said, the stock tuners on an Epi Standard are excellent
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
maybe he has one of the older epi's, those had gibson look-alike tuners, not sure who made them though. the tuners on my epi are great but i ran into trouble a bit ago when i switched to 11's. after awhile i found out the nut was just catching on the strings. check to make sure its not the nut messing you up. and to the post above me, unless its really loose, tightening that screw wont do much for his tuning problem
I don't know what is wrong with my tuners then. If I bend even 1 note higher than the original fret being played that string is automatically down at least a quarter note sometimes half. I was thinking about getting Grover locking or ones with 18:1 ratio. I don't know. I just need something different, like I said I bend a lot of notes. Anymore thoughts?
Epi tuning instability is most likely the cheap plastic nut is not cut to your string gauge properly.

I have a $299 G-400 and it has nice Grovers tock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Epi tuning instability is most likely the cheap plastic nut is not cut to your string gauge properly.

I have a $299 G-400 and it has nice Grovers tock.

So should I take it to a repair shop, and get a new nut put on, or try changing tuners first?
Are the strings stretched properly? Are they wound properly around the posts? And lastly, when you tune do you drop the note flat and then tune UP to pitch? That last part ensures that the strings aren't caught in the nut waiting to be pulled flat.
Quote by inkandlead
Are the strings stretched properly? Are they wound properly around the posts? And lastly, when you tune do you drop the note flat and then tune UP to pitch? That last part ensures that the strings aren't caught in the nut waiting to be pulled flat.

This is what I was thinking, sounds like the strings only wound once around the tuning peg and losing its tension when you bend.
Quote by dazza027
This is what I was thinking, sounds like the strings only wound once around the tuning peg and losing its tension when you bend.

I wind it around many times. I never knew about tune down and then tune up. I'll try that.

P.S. Sorry it has taken so long. I haven't been in front of a computer for a while