Hello, I hope I don't post this in the wrong forum .. =)

I really don't have any good gear at all and my budget is low ... so I was wondering what'd you suggest for recording? I plan on using either Guitar Rig demo or my Zoom GFX-3 preamp (old thing).

I read abit about these Behringer guitar links, but I really dunno about the sound on these? Is it okey? Otherwise, what should I get? I don't really care about recording anything else.. might eventually record some piano when I buy myself a midipiano but other than that no.

Any ideas?= )
Well, I can't speak for the zoom or guitar rig demo, but I use a line 6 UX2, its pretty versatile, has a low and high impedance guitar input and two mic inputs and comes with its own modelling/preamp and recording software. It's £140, but there's the smaller UX1 for about £100 that has only one mic and one guitar input, or the GX if you don't want a mic input for about £80, all depends on what you need.

Or you could look for a 2nd hand of the newer model of zoom pre-amps.

Hope this helps
Thanks! Hm what about the guitar links? Are they crap? :P

What about M-Audio Fast Track Pro??
Hm maybe there is someway to make telecable (6.3mm?) to 3.5mm so I can just put it straight into my computer soundcard (on the motherboard)?
Stock soundcards aren't built for the impedance of guitar pickups or microphones beyond small headset ones.
You'll get such a bad tone and irremovable feedback and fuzz that's it's worth the extra few coins to get an interface. Either firewire or standard USB is up to you and your budget, but as they guy above said, Line6 interfaces are the best way to go for entry level (even up to studio level) recordings.

You can get adapter cables which take a signal straight from the guitar to the USB, but I'd be skeptical of them, and I've not seen a good review by customers.

Brands worth looking into would be

Line 6 (GX, UX1 or 2, or TonePort)
Edirol (UA series or FA series)
Focusrite Saffire range
Last edited by SkepsisMetal at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by Braincheese
Hm maybe there is someway to make telecable (6.3mm?) to 3.5mm so I can just put it straight into my computer soundcard (on the motherboard)?

i tried this long ago and it works, but the quality is unbelievably bad. after that i also heard it can damage your soundcard.

there are cards you can buy that are made for recording but i found it to much trouble to get started with those things so i bought an inferface (basicly a soundcard you connect to your pc).
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
If your PC has a line in (NOT mic in) on the back panel, just get yourself one of these for about $1 from a local hardware/tech store:

The quality is fine, a little more noise than a good interface but usable nevertheless. Will work on any onboard sound using ASIO4ALL, takes a bit of tweaking to get right though.

Those Behringer guitar Links are ok actually, I use one at the moment which I got for about £8. Don't buy the proper Behringer one, get the generic chinese version on eBay (about $13 for you yanks). Exactly the same hardware and software, just no 'behringer' on it. Here's an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Link-USB-Interface-Cable-PC-Mac-/130605607907?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e68b36be3#ht_581wt_1139

And to put my money where my mouth is, here's a track I recorded with all bass and guitars coming through the cheapo Guitar Link, with Amplitube 3 Free for tone: http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/asparagusnow
Quote by kyle62
If your PC has a line in (NOT mic in) on the back panel, just get yourself one of these for about $1 from a local hardware/tech store:

The quality is fine, a little more noise than a good interface but usable nevertheless. Will work on any onboard sound using ASIO4ALL, takes a bit of tweaking to get right though.

Those Behringer guitar Links are ok actually, I use one at the moment which I got for about £8. Don't buy the proper Behringer one, get the generic chinese version on eBay (about $13 for you yanks). Exactly the same hardware and software, just no 'behringer' on it. Here's an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Link-USB-Interface-Cable-PC-Mac-/130605607907?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e68b36be3#ht_581wt_1139

And to put my money where my mouth is, here's a track I recorded with all bass and guitars coming through the cheapo Guitar Link, with Amplitube 3 Free for tone: http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/asparagusnow

That sounds great at the songs that has no clipping (low for example). Maybe I should get one!

You think it'd work with Guitar Rig 5 smoothly?

You had any driver problems? Are you using cubase?
i have the behringer one and its pretty tidy, a little bit of noise in the back ground but nothing terrible, i only use it in the evenings when i cant play through an amp. planning to upgrade to a Line 6 interface when i can spare the cash, but for under £20 you cant go wrong.
Paul
Line 6 POD Studio UX-1. Is that enough for me? Will I be able to connect it to computer and then just record through guitar rig with it into Cubase? =)

Anyone knows?
kyle62 - that sounds really great and shows that LINE IN and a cheapo adapter has a lot of OOOMPH! I went Line-in on my iMacs for a few years and always thought it sounded fine to me.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!