Hi,

Recently i had a chat with my local guitar shop and they said they in order to maintain the life of a pedal, you should first lower the volume of the pedal to 0 then switch it off. Is this true? What kind of proper care should you take when using any kind of effects/distortion pedal?
I now have a signature
sounds like nonsense to me.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I'm not sure to be honest... you don't just turn your valve head off, you go to stand by first then off... so if your pedal has a valve in it there may be some merit in what they've said.

I'd do some googles.

)
[
Most tube pedals don't have enough voltage on the plates to have to worry about such things. Putting an amp into standby before turning it off (which isn't strictly necessary) is to drain the filter caps, which wouldn't really be a factor in a tube pedal since the caps there are tiny.
Hybrid amps have tubes in them and no stand-by switch.

There is your answer
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Roc8995
Most tube pedals don't have enough voltage on the plates to have to worry about such things. Putting an amp into standby before turning it off (which isn't strictly necessary) is to drain the filter caps, which wouldn't really be a factor in a tube pedal since the caps there are tiny.

Alright.Yes i have heard that for tube amps if you plan to play them for long periods throughout the day its better to put on standby that switching on and off over and over again.
I now have a signature
Quote by Skuzzmo
I'm not sure to be honest... you don't just turn your valve head off, you go to stand by first then off... so if your pedal has a valve in it there may be some merit in what they've said.

I'd do some googles.

)

hmm but tube pedals dont have standby switches
I now have a signature
the standby switch on an amp is to warm the tubes up before you hit them with full blast current. It really has no effect on turning the amp off. The tubes are already warm when you've been playing, so why go to standby and turn the heaters on?

I normally go to standby, then switch the amp off immediately. That's not to care for the amp, it's so that the switch will be in STBY the next time I switch the power on.

As for your pedal, just turn it off. The volume being reduced to zero is going to have no effect on it. The output of a pedal is so low it makes zero difference.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Quote by Roc8995

Are you sure they weren't messing with you?

+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by jnsw
Alright.Yes i have heard that for tube amps if you plan to play them for long periods throughout the day its better to put on standby that switching on and off over and over again.

No, it's definitely better to just turn it off.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Roc8995

Are you sure they weren't messing with you?

+1.

Or they’re just clueless. I mean, there is a reason those guys are working in a guitar shop and not working as electrical engineers.
Just turn it off.

One thing you must do though is make sure the pedal is always at least 4 feet from your amp whilst playing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm curious as to what 'turning a pedal off' exactly means. Switching it to bypass? Taking out the input jack? Unplugging the power? There's not really and on/off button on a pedal is there?
That's a good point. The stomp switch would essentially be the standby switch. As long as it's plugged in and there's a cable in the input, the plates are getting current, so it's "on". That means there's sort of a standby built in unless you're pulling the power cord out without stomping the pedal off.
Some multi FX pedals have an actual power switch on the back. I had an old zoom pedal that had one.

I kinda assumed he was talking about one of those MFX "hybrid" pedals with a 12AX7.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Nov 21, 2011,