Right now I only have two crappy solid state practice amps and an Ibanez GSA60 with non-functioning electronics. I'm getting a guitar in the $500-700 range (PRS SE Custom 24 possibly) and looking for a decent tube combo. Budget for the amp would probably be $700-800. I play a lot of metal so I'd like a deep/full hi-gain tone, but I also use crunch a lot. Decent cleans would be nice but I understand its hard to find a jack of all trades in this price range without sacrificing something.

I'm looking for something relatively low-watt, since it'll mostly be for bedroom play.

I was considering maybe an ENGL Gigmaster?
Mos amps do have a volume knob. You won't be getting any power amp distortion from a 5 watter anyway, so I'd say go all the way and get a proper amp that sounds nice, wether it's 10 watts or 100.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Mos amps do have a volume knob. You won't be getting any power amp distortion from a 5 watter anyway, so I'd say go all the way and get a proper amp that sounds nice, wether it's 10 watts or 100.
True, but I feel like i'd be missing out with a hundred-watter since I wouldn't be cranking it too much. I used to have a XXX Super 40 combo, and it was loud as hell. I'd like to go no higher than 40 or so but less would be ideal.

Headphone jack is also something I'd use a lot.
Most tube amps don't have headphone jacks...

100w is not much louder than 40, but the 100watt one would have a lot more headroom. What kind of metal do you play? Maybe a peavey classic 30 with a boost is what you need?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Most tube amps don't have headphone jacks...

100w is not much louder than 40, but the 100watt one would have a lot more headroom. What kind of metal do you play? Maybe a peavey classic 30 with a boost is what you need?
I play stuff like Metallica, Tool, Killswitch Engage, Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater, etc.

Lots of classic rock/alt rock/grunge too, but nailing a solid hi-gain tone is my main concern. I'm basically looking for an all-around rock/metal amp.
I'm looking at the various Blackstar amps...I could either build a HT-5RH half-stack (5w) or go for the 40-60w combo models...the combo would obviously be much louder but I'm more concerned with sound quality.
The Carvin V3M might suit you well enough, depending on whether you consider 50 watts low.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Carvin V3Mc.

Don't let 50w scare you away. Never worry about not being able to use an amp to its full potential. As long as it gives a great sound at a bedroom volume, that's all that matters. Fuck wattage.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Carvin V3Mc.

Don't let 50w scare you away. Never worry about not being able to use an amp to its full potential. As long as it gives a great sound at a bedroom volume, that's all that matters. Fuck wattage.
I'm looking at the Carvin now...I like that it has a power switch for 7w/22w/40w. Does the "line out" (not the speaker ones) mean I can use headphones as well?

I've never heard much about Carvin's amps, are they good for metal or will I still need a pedal of some sort?
Quote by TJM2482
I'm looking at the Carvin now...I like that it has a power switch for 7w/22w/40w. Does the "line out" (not the speaker ones) mean I can use headphones as well?

I've never heard much about Carvin's amps, are they good for metal or will I still need a pedal of some sort?

I doubt that you can plug headphones in into it.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by TJM2482
Alone? No. With a headphone amp, yes. You can find some for pretty cheap on Amazon.

Quote by TJM2482
The V3 is far more than capable of doing metal without any sort of boost or pedal. The only thing about Carvin's stuff is that you order factory direct from their website. This eliminates the middle-man and keeps costs down.
Yeah I see the Carvin V3Mc is $699 on their site...I wouldn't be able to test it out but it seems better than similarly priced tube combos from MusiciansFriend/GuitarCenter.

Would leave me enough money for some pedals or one multifx too
Most amps that are considered to be good for metal get their gain from the preamp. That means you can get roughly the same tone at pretty low volumes by turning the master volume down.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
How does the Carvin compare to a XXX? I'm seeing a few Super 40 combos (my old amp) on eBay for pretty cheap.
If your maiin focus is higher gain stuff, I'd go with the ENGL. The Tubemeister from H&K has better cleans though.
Quote by TJM2482
True, but I feel like i'd be missing out with a hundred-watter since I wouldn't be cranking it too much.

but you wouldn't be missing out with a hybrid?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TJM2482
True, but I feel like i'd be missing out with a hundred-watter since I wouldn't be cranking it too much.

The purpose of high gain amps being so high wattage is so you DON'T crank them.

A little bit of saturation from the power amp is good for metal, but cranking it like you would a 15-30W amp is going to make the tone loose and muddy.

Unless you're playing at a volume that only allows you to keep your amp at .5 all the time, the wattage really shouldn't be much of a concern. The distortion comes from the preamp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
baron snott watt.

oops, not a combo. my bad.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by MatrixClaw
The purpose of high gain amps being so high wattage is so you DON'T crank them.

A little bit of saturation from the power amp is good for metal, but cranking it like you would a 15-30W amp is going to make the tone loose and muddy.

Unless you're playing at a volume that only allows you to keep your amp at .5 all the time, the wattage really shouldn't be much of a concern. The distortion comes from the preamp.

pretty much all of that

Also - for what you play TS, a Vypry 60 tube hybrid might be up your alley - and it has a headphone jack.