Budget? - 1000usd flexible

Genres? - Jazz, punk, indie, metal, br00tz

New or Used? - Either

Home or Gig?
- Both, mostly gigging though

Closest City? - South Bend, IN/Niles, MI - Michiana area

Current Gear? - Check sig

Alright, my band is currently shifting in style a bit, I was wondering what would be a decent amp head for a more punk sound.

I'm selling the 6505 and Vypyr 15w soon just to grab some cash, which will make up most of my budget.

I like my Mk IV, but it doesn't really have that sound I am looking for. as for as teh punx go.

Requirementz: Amazing cleanz pleez, bawlsy overdrive, I mean. BALLZ. I'll probably pick up a nice distortion pedal in the future too if we ever play any of our old, metal songz.

Anything else just ask.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by pinheadslts75
Old JCM800 maybe?

I was thinking about it, it could pull off teh metulz with a boost too.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Those old Marshall amps were pretty much the sound of punk, as well. Ramones, Jawbreaker, Minor Threat (I think), they all used them.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Those old Marshall amps were pretty much the sound of punk, as well. Ramones, Jawbreaker, Minor Threat (I think), they all used them.

I need something with good cleans though, I'm not sure if the jcm800 will meet my expectations.

Like, fender cleans, maybe some kind of fender amp..
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Look at some Laney amps. Great punk distortion, rather sparkly cleans. I think it'd be perfect.

Any particular models you'd suggest?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I would definitely recommend Fender as a whole. I think a mistake some people make often when searching for a punk tone is getting much too dark a tone and then you come dangerously close to crossing that line between metal and punk. Of course punk isn't exactly the most manufactured and refined music there is so you could get away with any cheap combo that has tha tbright clean tone you want and grab a high gain distortion pedal
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I need something with good cleans though, I'm not sure if the jcm800 will meet my expectations.

Like, fender cleans, maybe some kind of fender amp..

Old-style Fender amps do have an under appreciated sound when you put a good distortion pedal in front of them, in my opinion.
Quote by Helicopters!
Dual Terror.

I was thinking about it.

I thought it sounded great. Could it do teh metalz boosted though?

When I say metal, I'm talking like, Maiden metal, not Torso**** metal
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Steal a Twin Reverb from David Bowie. That's what Steve Jones did. He's pretty punk.

But in all seriousness, +1 to the Fender suggestion.
Quote by colin617
Steal a Twin Reverb from David Bowie. That's what Steve Jones did. He's pretty punk.

I was thinking about a Twin Reverb, has teh cleenz, not sure if it would cover teh heavier tones if boosted.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Your 6505 or your mark should do you just fine. Quite a few Punk bands swear by the 5150's Strung Out used them for over 15 yrs starting in 1993 I belive. Fletcher from Pennywise used a DC-10 (poormans mark!)for years.

I personaly would not use any fender except the Super Sonic, and that sounds similar to what the mark does.

If your just looking for a British tone I would go Laney over Marshall. The GH 50/100 can be had pretty cheap. Also the TT100 and VH100 are good choices.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, but I want amazing cleans, more in the vein of fender

The mark is great, I just want something that breaks up a bit more, a bit more flabby if you will
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
What about the Egnater Renegade 65?
I have a buddy that uses one in a punk cover band, and it sounds really good with what they do(GutterMouth,Lagwagon,Pennywise,Decendents,JoyKiller,CircleJerks,ect).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by colin617

I thought it was nicked off of Bob Marley...

Laney VC30 would fit your bill.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
if you wanna be punk, then what you HAVE to do book an opening band and use his guitar and amp*. it'll usually be a piece of crap too. i heard this is what Greg Ginn did and you don't get more punk than that.

* - if you are the opening band, the borrow the headlining band's gear. duh
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The TH30's not a bad suggestion - although I did experience reliability issues - bad soldering, unbiased tubes... Once they work there's plenty of clean headroom available and the dirty channel has plenty of gain on tap.

heard that about Greg Ginn - also when Pat Smear was in the Germs he didn't even own a guitar. I believe he got his first after Darby Crash died.
Quote by Slap-happy
I thought it was nicked off of Bob Marley...

Laney VC30 would fit your bill.

You're probably right.
Something that is stained with beer and puke. turn distortion up more then wanted/needed. You now have a punk amp.
Quote by ibugppl
Something that is stained with beer and puke.

Sounds like my ex wife...
When I joined my doom metal band I picked up a Sunn Septre (basically a blackface bassman) off criagslist for $300. It's the cleanest amp ever until about 4 on the volume. For my metal band i run it with a Earthquaker Devices Hoof boosted by a OCD, but with no pedals and it cranked its suprisingly a perfect tone for my hardcore punk band (SSD, Minor Threat, Black Flag, etc).

Fender bassmans, Fender bandmasters, Ampeg V4s and Sunns are all pretty similar and all can go for around 400-500 bucks on ebay.
Current Gears
Gibson SG Standard
1969 Sunn Septre
JCA100h
Quote by gumbilicious
if you wanna be punk, then what you HAVE to do book an opening band and use his guitar and amp*. it'll usually be a piece of crap too. i heard this is what Greg Ginn did and you don't get more punk than that.

* - if you are the opening band, the borrow the headlining band's gear. duh

lol The Dillinger Escape Plan used to do this too. Ben Weinman, the guitarist, would also buy a cheap ass guitar on the day of the show, and install his EMG bridge pickup on, because onstage violence used to destroy their gear.
Laney VH100R
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm currently playing in a pop punk band with a Diezel Herbert. Sounds amazing. For your budget i'd go with a EVH 5150 III mini head. I plan to get one to back my Herbert up.

Last edited by leavehercrying at Nov 22, 2011,