Poll: which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: which one?
tsl100 and 1960av for $1000
14 52%
dsl100 and 1960a for $1250
13 48%
Voters: 27.
Wanted to include a poll so i made a new thread. I have a chance to buy one of the following. I play mostly metal or higher gain music but would also like something with a nice clean channel.

1. Tsl100 with a 1960av cab for $1000. Seller admits the cab has slight damage to the tolex. Claims tubes are new

2. Dsl100 wih 1960a cab for $1250. Says its in excellent condition. Tubes are newer.

Which would you choose and why? Im leaning toward the tsl because of price and i read on here the vintage cab sounds a little better but i will pay the extra for quality.
I prefer the DSL out of the two, though I don't really like either. The price on the TSL is a little below average from what I've seen and the DSL a little above. You might as well just go for the TSL if the seller is reputable.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The DSL sounds better, but the price for the halfstack is WAY too high.

The TSL is a much better deal, since you get a better cab with it.

Neither one is really fully suited for your styles though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Neither one is really fully suited for your styles though.

THis is a good point, there are amps out there that are better suited to your needs.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
THis is a good point, there are amps out there that are better suited to your needs.

Yeah, because metal and high gain have like NEVER been played on Marshalls.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^The DSL and TSL were not the typical metal amps. A JCM800 or a JCM900 SLX would be a different deal altogether.

Both DSL and TSL have quite a bit more gain on tap than the JCM800.
Also both would do pretty good cleans.

Quote by JesusCrisp
Both DSL and TSL have quite a bit more gain on tap than the JCM800.
Also both would do pretty good cleans.

Its nopt gain, most of the metal bands who used Marshall's used JCM800's or Plexi's, boosted,
Quote by JesusCrisp
Yeah, because metal and high gain have like NEVER been played on Marshalls.

What Marshalls were they played on? The JCM800 and 900. The 2000, though it shares the name JCM is not the same animal. And it's not about the amount of gain on tap.

Basically just +1 to GS Lead

Quote by phoenix_crush
You can mod the TSL to be awesome for high gain.

Why? When you can buy something that works better out of the box. As of rule of thumb, if you buy something with the express intention of modding it as soon as you get it, there's something better out there for you. Unless we're talking adding an effects loop or changing something more personal like a speaker.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
What Marshalls were they played on? The JCM800 and 900. The 2000, though it shares the name JCM is not the same animal. And it's not about the amount of gain on tap.

http://tonefinder.com/?search=dsl100

OK, go through these clips and tell me that those tones don't sound great for metal.
Eh, doesn't sound super great to me. Good enough. I'm not saying it's bad, but there are better options.

If you're so adamant about your marshall, recommend away. TS can decided on his own.

Of the two you mentioned, I'd say the TSL is the better deal.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If the tsl is truely the better deal thats what ill most likely go with. However almost as many people have voted for the dsl but no one has really stated why. Can anyone give reason why they suggest paying $250 more for a setup with not as nice of a cabinet?
I play Punk/Hardcore/Metal /Progressive, and I can say from 1st hand experiance the TSL Blows the DSL away for these. The DSL is more oldschool rock, where the TSL has a more modern Ch. However I really don't even like the TSL that much.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So is a jcm800 or 900 a better idea? I dont need an amp with a hardcore strict metal tone. If i did id go mesa boogie. I just want something that has the capability to handle metal but i want it fairly versatile. I have a boss gt6 which ill be using for everything but its amp modeling so with all the distortion modeling it has on it id think i could create a nice metal tone on any amp. I know it sounds fantastic on my 50w solid state crate
I would go with the TSL. Butif you can try out both do that and see which you like best
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by phoenix_crush
You can mod the TSL to be awesome for high gain.

As someone who as owned a TSL that was modded to be good for high gain, I disagree.
Even after the mods, it was fizzy and harsh, and even through a closed back 4x12 had less balls/punch than my Mark IV 1x12 combo. Its just a bland sounding amp.
Quote by GLP standard
So is a jcm800 or 900 a better idea? I dont need an amp with a hardcore strict metal tone. If i did id go mesa boogie. I just want something that has the capability to handle metal but i want it fairly versatile. I have a boss gt6 which ill be using for everything but its amp modeling so with all the distortion modeling it has on it id think i could create a nice metal tone on any amp. I know it sounds fantastic on my 50w solid state crate

I'd say the 900 would be your best bet if you want marshall. It's a little more versatile than the 800 in my opinion. The tone on both the 800 and the 900 is great though. Especially through the correct cab. And the gain tones you get out of it will be better than anything you'll get out of the GT6.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
marshal has a certain.....fizziness to their high gain.... if u can live with that... then try talking down the price of the DSL
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Out of those two the TSL is the better amp for what you want to play. For every other genre the DSL kicks its arse but for metal the TSL is the go.
As for JCM900's. The Dual Reverb is a pile of smeg unless you mod it quite a bit and even then it isn't the best choice. The SL/X would do what you want quite well but it has no clean channel. So all things considered the TSL is a better choice for you than a 900.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Didnt wanna make a new thread so I bumped this one.

I went with the TSL..had it for about a week and I love it. One question though...I noticed when the VPR button is pressed (the guy that sold it explained it to me as the "half power" button) I notice some noise with the volume turned up but not playing anything. Doesnt matter if a guitar is hooked up to it or not, as long as the VPR button is pressed, and the volume is up, its there. Turn VPR off, and it sounds clear as a bell. Play something, and you can't hear it. Its not really an issue, just more annoying than anything, I was just wondering if its normal? I didnt notice it at first until I hooked up my new Jackson I also bought. That doesnt mean it wasnt doing it before that, just means I didnt notice it. I tried other guitars, same thing, so its not the guitar.

Any ideas? Sound normal? I wish I could describe the sound. I want to say its like a very light static, but thats not really a good choice of words. Its just a light background noise almost like if someone was rubbing their finger over the pickup maybe? I dont know
The 'VPR', whatever that is exactly, is probably either opening another circuit or reacting to the power change going to half power (A/B to A) I am assuming. Maybe.

It does seem to be a bit or a grounding related as you mentioned playing the guitar doesn't sound as bad. I think that fits in with my first comment. I'd swap some preamp tubes around to start. These amps have always seemed a bit flakey to me anyway (tone is OK) but I would def take it to a tech for a once over.
Quote by EspTro
marshal has a certain.....fizziness to their high gain.... if u can live with that... then try talking down the price of the DSL

my opinion of that is that the old skool marshall tone used to be smooth but ****ing aggressive.

the fizz started with the 900s

Can't speak to the button pushing thing, Cath will know more, but my guess is that it has something to do with a ground/solder joint/ crappy component somewhere/bad latch/bad spring/ crappy pot/ all those things that i've hated about marshall since 1984 or so
i was wondering too about tsl vs dsl, as im in the market. at guitar center, im looking into buying a used JCM2000 TSL100 Head, which is only $850. IMO, it sounds just as good as some of the jvms. something about the gain and clarity is great. as for dsl though, i cannot say. i have heard good and (more-so) bad about them, so i cannot say. +1 TSL
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
my opinion of that is that the old skool marshall tone used to be smooth but ****ing aggressive.

the fizz started with the 900s

Can't speak to the button pushing thing, Cath will know more, but my guess is that it has something to do with a ground/solder joint/ crappy component somewhere/bad latch/bad spring/ crappy pot/ all those things that i've hated about marshall since 1984 or so

The fizz started with the JCM800 2205/2210 and it just got worse from there until the Blackstar boys buggered off and started their own company. Now the fizz resides there.

Noise is a very vague term. If it's 120Hz hum then the filter caps are failing. If it's crackling it's probably a bad solder joint, faulty pot or a bad socket/plug. If it's hiss it's probably a dodgey signal cap or even a resistor about to pop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
regarding the fizz

most of it is pretty much lost in a mix with the rest of a band.

but cranked to a decent enough volume the fizz becomes drastically reduced, but still noticeable as a tonal quality of the amps.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It depends what type of sound you are after. The DSL is based off of the JCM 800 circuitry and has a tone that suits more of a classic rock/ old school metal vibe, plus much warmer cleans IMO. The TSL shares no similarities in circuitry to any other JCM series of amps, and was originally created to appeal to Nu metal Players.

I would personally take the DSL in a heartbeat but it's up to you man.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by warbeast19
i was wondering too about tsl vs dsl, as im in the market. at guitar center, im looking into buying a used JCM2000 TSL100 Head, which is only $850. IMO, it sounds just as good as some of the jvms. something about the gain and clarity is great. as for dsl though, i cannot say. i have heard good and (more-so) bad about them, so i cannot say. +1 TSL

My mate switched from a TSL122 to a JVM210c and his tone has really suffered for it. Thin, lifeless and totally lacking in dynamics. Maybe it's the speakers Marshall put in their combos, I don 't know.
Quote by Cathbard
The fizz started with the JCM800 2205/2210 and it just got worse from there until the Blackstar boys buggered off and started their own company. Now the fizz resides there.

Noise is a very vague term. If it's 120Hz hum then the filter caps are failing. If it's crackling it's probably a bad solder joint, faulty pot or a bad socket/plug. If it's hiss it's probably a dodgey signal cap or even a resistor about to pop.

+1

Quote by SOADriff
It depends what type of sound you are after. The DSL is based off of the JCM 800 circuitry and has a tone that suits more of a classic rock/ old school metal vibe, plus much warmer cleans IMO. The TSL shares no similarities in circuitry to any other JCM series of amps, and was originally created to appeal to Nu metal Players.

I would personally take the DSL in a heartbeat but it's up to you man.

He bought a TSL. See post #21. That is what we are trying to help troubleshoot.

Quote by kyle62
My mate switched from a TSL122 to a JVM210c and his tone has really suffered for it. Thin, lifeless and totally lacking in dynamics. Maybe it's the speakers Marshall put in their combos, I don 't know.

+1

I get the same impression from the heads. just. does. nothing. for. me. I mean I've heard great clips and I know you have to crank them to sound good but damn o'mighty I think that amp sucks