I got two sort-of related questions:

First, ever heard of the limited-edition Spinal Tap amp that comes bundled with a certain release of the movie? I understand it's very small but I was actually wondering if it was usable as a real amp and if so, what its specs were.

The second, I could swear that on the first episode of "Metal Evolution" when Sam goes talk to the guys at the Marshall factory, they show an honest-to-god Spinal Tap amp. Does this actually exist? Where can I get it and how much does it cost?
The small amp was probably a little Marshall MS-2, a little belt clip amp. They're pretty bad, but they'll amplify a guitar.

A "real" spinal tap amp? So, just a plexi with "11" painted on? You can't buy one from Marshall like that directly but it wouldn't exactly be the hardest thing in the world to add to an amp.
An 11 and the Spinal Tap logo painted on?

I really doubt they designed and tooled an entire line of amps for the movie. I'm thinking it's just a one-off panel on a regular plexi. Plenty of places could make you custom faceplates like that.

http://www.amparchives.com/album/Marshall/Parts/Replacement%20Faceplates/Nardis%20Custom%20Amplification%20-%20Glaskow,%20KY/JCM%20800%20SPINAL%20TAP%20PLEXI%20FACEPLATE%202203%202204/index.html
Well, yeah. The thing is they had this thing in the Marshall amps headquarters and the guy showing it to Sam was the CEO or one of the owners. Obviously it could be possible that they made a custom faceplate for an amp to have on display themselves but I don't know how that makes sense.
Why doesn't it? It's a fun piece of Marshall history that it was in the movie. It's probably the one used in the movie that they made a custom faceplate for anyway, so they went ahead and made a backplate for it too. Makes a lot of sense to me. What are the alternatives? There was never a Spinal Tap production line, of that I'm certain.
Quote by Lord Kamina
Well, yeah. The thing is they had this thing in the Marshall amps headquarters and the guy showing it to Sam was the CEO or one of the owners. Obviously it could be possible that they made a custom faceplate for an amp to have on display themselves but I don't know how that makes sense.

It makes more sense that they have an entire line of amps which are based off a parody movie yet have no presence whatsoever on the internet? Are you an expert on the History Channel's series "Ancient Aliens"?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
It makes more sense that they have an entire line of amps which are based off a parody movie yet have no presence whatsoever on the internet? Are you an expert on the History Channel's series "Ancient Aliens"?

If I could find them easily on the internet then I wouldn't be here asking you, would I?

I was just thinking that maybe they had had a very limited run way back or were planning to release one eventually.
Nope. The internet is unabridged. I don't believe in things not on page one of a google search.

Roc8995 is most likely correct; that that amp is likely the exact one from the movie so they made it into a promotional kind of deal for the lobby. The company I work for recently had one of our products used in a movie and that exact one is now mounted in their corporate HQ in a similar fashion.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Nope. The internet is unabridged. I don't believe in things not on page one of a google search.

Roc8995 is most likely correct; that that amp is likely the exact one from the movie so they made it into a promotional kind of deal for the lobby. The company I work for recently had one of our products used in a movie and that exact one is now mounted in their corporate HQ in a similar fashion.

Well, dreaming is free!

Either way, not always everything is on the internet (it should) but there's exceptions here and there.
I'm actually pretty sure that amp was made specifically for the band (to celebrate something). It isn't a limited edition or even different from a a stock Marshall. The only difference is the front plate and back plate.
The story I heard was for the movie, a Marshall employee picked a particularly nice (sounding or looking? Not sure.) Plexi off the assembly line and put a new faceplate on it. I don't know if the one at the factory now is the same amp or not, but I bet the process would be similar for a 'commemorative' amp in the same vein.
pbbt... i mean, shit, new fender devilles go to twelve anyway

so did some of the old fenders
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 21, 2011,