So I'm slowly but surely working through Music Theory in Practice, and I'm on Grade Two. There's a bit that I'm on now that I need help with. It's about the keys of A, D and E minor, and it gives a short extract of the sheet music of a piece and asks you to identify the key.
I want to ask about one of them. It starts with an A, leading me to believe it's A minor, but there's a Bb in it, which would be in D minor. There's also a D#, but that's an accidental. So, is it in A or D minor?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
So there's no key signature?

No reason to assume that D# isn't diatonic to the key you're in, without more information.
No, I have to identify the key and write in the key signature.

It wouldn't be though, because it's only either Am, Dm or Em. I just can't tell if it's A or D.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
well, how do you know the D# isn't the leading tone (raised 7th) in Em, and that Bb is not the accidental?
Quote by mrkeka
well, how do you know the D# isn't the leading tone (raised 7th) in Em, and that Bb is not the accidental?

oh damn, that's it. I forgot about that damn raised seventh. Thanks for reminding me.

MDC, I'll try to find it, it's just that it's in the book. It's from Handel's Messiah (thou art gone up on high) if that helps.

EDIT: Oh, bloody hell, it's a C#. I guess it could still be E minor if that's the raised sixth? Or possibly D minor if that's the raised seventh.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by lfcagger at Nov 21, 2011,
you are welcome, by the way... lol

if you can post a picture or a scan, this would be a lot easier tho
Quote by griffRG7321
Bb and C# screams D minor, especially for a grade 2 music theory in practice book.

no doubt about it now, the C# is the raised 7th in D minor
Thanks guys, that's it cleared up. Feel a bit stupid now, but now I get it. Cheers!

My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by lfcagger
There's also a D#, but that's an accidental. So, is it in A or D minor?

Just out of interest, what notes are surrounding the D#? They could make it either a passing tone, or auxillary note.
It's the last note, but preceding it are Bb, A and D.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube