Anyone ever backpacked or done extensive travelling? I am looking towards doing it.

Where would you suggest is good to go? Any tips?
I wanna go travelling so bad, just don't have the money. I will be going to Italy next year though.
It's not really backpacking, but I'll be living in Amman, Jordan for a month starting in about a month.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by guitarxo
I want to visit every country in the world before I die.

Holy shit this
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by guitarxo
Me too.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by guitarxo
It'd be sort of ironic if when you're 90 and think you had every country checked off the list -- you discover that a new country come about, and you're too old to visit it.
Quote by sam b
Tough

There's 196 official countries in the world right?
I've been to 16 so that's 180 I still need to visit. Make that 190 for places like Antarctica that aren't really countries.
Assuming I die when I'm 80, I still have 62 years left.
3 countries a year should do it

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
It'd be sort of ironic if when you're 90 and think you had every country checked off the list -- you discover that a new country come about, and you're too old to visit it.

gotta catch em all
cat
If you've got the money and cash to do it, definitely go for it. You won't be the same person returning.

I'm currently in Brazil and I'm really liking it. I've learned lots of things I'm going to take home with me to Sweden.

Quote by guitarxo

Same. I've visited a few already. It's gonna be a bitch to visit all the small island countries. Finland is going to be depressing to visit as well.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by guitarxo
There's 196 official countries in the world right?
I've been to 16 so that's 180 I still need to visit. Make that 190 for places like Antarctica that aren't really countries.
Assuming I die when I'm 80, I still have 62 years left.
3 countries a year should do it

gotta catch em all

Ok. Well have fun in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Syria, Pakistan, Lebanon, Congo, Libya (I assume you're American.. good luck even getting in there), Sudan etc

Also, I've been to every continent and around 24 countries if I've counted correctly and well.. they all look the same. Other than landmarks, it's very easy to see we're all on the same planet and the earth isnt that big
Last edited by sam b at Nov 21, 2011,
My first excursion outside of the United States (besides Canada) was to New Zealand. Yeah, I decided to go big right off the bat. What a gorgeous little country. I'd move there if an American law degree meant anything.
Hi, I'm Peter
Russia
Italy
Hungary
Vietnam
Singapore
Japan

They're the countries I want to visit anyway.

Any tips?
Probably read a guide book on the country before you visit and travel light.
Walk for long distances around your town/city first. Then imagine that on camping food and with a heavy backpack.
I think it would be awesome. I don't think I have the resources to do so though I've been thinking about taking a break from school and "finding myself," but I don't know. If I do take a break I'll have to start paying back my loans....
I loved south east asia. First country I've been too where It was significantly different to how I lived at home. You can do the whole culture thing and have the best parties ever.

Place rocks.
It's quite easy to end up just mooching around on tourist trails rather than 'experiencing different cultures', because you're just that, a tourist. Almost every exotic country you'd think of has catered to millions of backpackers in their early 20's doing the same thing, so if you do want to experience something a bit more special - try and find a project or less well-known destination.

However If you just want to do some proper trekking I can help you out. This last summer I did the Camino De Santiago, which is a popular pilgrimage trek across Spain.
It was an amazing trip, and you meet all sorts of great people all doing the same trek. You feel like you have a goal rather than just sight-seeing. The best thing I've ever done.

Here's some info: http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/camino-frances/
This might sound a little stupid but what is the difference between 'travelling' and 'going on holiday'? Other than where you stay and how you get about.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by sam b
Ok. Well have fun in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Syria, Pakistan, Lebanon, Congo, Libya (I assume you're American.. good luck even getting in there), Sudan etc

I want to go to all these places. As dangerous as it might be.

OP: Go for it. Europe or South-eastern Asia are good starting points if you're not used to travelling.
Quote by loose bowels
This might sound a little stupid but what is the difference between 'travelling' and 'going on holiday'? Other than where you stay and how you get about.

Normally people go on holiday to one country, or one town, or maybe just stay in the hotel. The idea of travelling is to 'travel' to various places. You might stay in one place for only up to a few days at a time.
Quote by ButtHurt©
Normally people go on holiday to one country, or one town, or maybe just stay in the hotel. The idea of travelling is to 'travel' to various places. You might stay in one place for only up to a few days at a time.

K...I still don't get the appeal.
OUT OF ORDER