Im looking for a low price tube amp that I can use at small gigs, practices and at home. I usually play clean bluesy stuff but I would need the versatility to go into some more heavy stuff, although I never really get into any metal. I have narrowed my search down into 2 amps the Vox AC30 and the Marshall Class 5. I was just wondering which you think is better, or if Im missing a great amp?
Im not too bothered about whether its full tube or only a tube in one part or another, as long as there is a tube in it somewhere
The AC30 is lovely for blues and clean stuff! Absolutely love that amp! And yes, it goes into nice distortion too, but not the heavy kind of distortion, but really nice AC/DC kind of crunchy overdrive.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
^ the vr isn't really an ac30.

I mean i haven't tried one (or the class 5), but yeah.

Quote by AcousticMirror
well only the class 5 is tube so that one.

Quote by Trobe78
Im not too bothered about whether its full tube or only a tube in one part or another, as long as there is a tube in it somewhere

that doesn't make a whole heap of sense. to really get the effect, it pretty much needs to be all-tube (or at least, a lot more tube than the ac30vr and most other hybrids are).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I thought that although the amp isnt full tube, the tube in it gives it some sort of tube sound? Otherwise why would they bother to put it in?
No. Amps with single preamp tubes are there so that you think it does something.

Why these amps? They are not good choices for what you are asking about.

The Class 5 is out. Stop thinking about it. It's not going to hold up at band practice unless your drummer fits in a suitcase and was made by a large Japanese corporation. 5 watts is not going to work.

The VR isn't really a great choice either. It's 30 watts solid state which isn't really the sort of juice you want for band use. Don't confuse it with an actual AC30.

A Vypyr tube or a Spider Valve mkII are probably what you want. Try those out, or at least explain why you aren't considering them.

but yeah i mean it's marketing. i haven't tried the ac30vr, but any hybrid amp i have tried which had a solitary preamp tube in there basically sounded like a solid state. Maybe it sounded slightly more like a tube amp, but even if it did, it was marginal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Only if you're miking up for band practice.

Spiiiiiiideeeeeerrrrrr Vaaaaaaaaalllllvvvveeeeeee.
Really? The DL4, probably the most popular full-featured delay ever? The PODs, which introduced competent modeling and recording to studios and singlehandedly invented a new category of gear? The M13 line, probably the best floor processors on the market?

Don't discount Line 6 because they make the Spider IV. They make plenty of very good products, and the Valve is one of them.
I agree with the guy who says a class 5 isn't enough for band practice or gigs. I have a 30 watt amp and I need to turn it up almost all the way to make it loud enough to play with my band. If you need clean sounds I would recommend something even bigger than a 30 watt amp.
Ok I will have a look at the line 6 valve but I still like the look and sound of the vox ac30vr, and the class 5!
Well that's all well and good but the VR probably won't cut it for volume, and the class 5 definitely won't. A real AC30 would do it, as would a marshall DSL401. There are tons of amps that would work for you, but you keep coming back to two that really will not. What amps other than the VR and the Class 5 have you tried?
the fender super champ XD, the blackstar ht-5
Im not playing any massive venues, only small bars and clubs
Right, but you're not going to have any clean sound if you're playing with a drummer and you're using a 10 watt amp. The VR might work, but you're really limiting yourself since it's the only amp you've tried that might be the right tool for your uses.

Try out a Vypyr tube and a Spider Valve.
I know that Im not going to be able to keep up with a drummer on its own, but for most gigs Im miked up anyway, so im looking for best tone more than best volume
this thread delivers
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you're buying the Class 5 new, you're better off saving up an extra $50-$100 and getting a JCM2000 combo.
ಠ_ಠ
I got a JCM2000 DSL401 last week, for only 480 euros (used amp, in a really neat condition), they retail for around 820 euros new here...

The amp is really good and is able to compete with drummers. It also sounds neat on little lower volumes, when jamming with the other guitarist and a bassist for example.

I think it's a tremendous amp for the price. Decent cleans, nice smooth overdrive and a really good metal sound. I wouldn't ask for more for the price.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Nov 21, 2011,
I think Im just going to look around my local shops and try as many as I can then choose which I like the most
Quote by Trobe78
I think Im just going to look around my local shops and try as many as I can then choose which I like the most

Bet idea you've had yet. You should do this for literally every decision like this.

If you're mic'd up, I see no problem with the Class 5 if you like it. If not, I would just go for the DSL. More headroom and volume, plus two channels as opposed to one. It really is a better choice.
If C5 is what you're looking at a Blues Jr or AC15 would fit the price range, do blues/cleans better, and be able to rock if you want. Doesn't sound like you have a cab, but if you do, Egnater makes some really flexible and affordable heads as well as a couple combos. They do blues and clean extremely well and turn into little monsters when you crank the gain. They also come with some cool features too. Just thoughts. Give it a try.

http://www.egnateramps.com/Start.html

I'd stay away from digital modeling amps (that's probably what you heard about Line6, the pedals are amazing! not the amps)... IMO an amp shouldn't have features on it to make it sound like this or that. It should sound like itself and be good at it. Otherwise you have the Jack of all trades and the Ace of none.
Quote by Trobe78
for $100 more than a class 5?

A brand new Class 5 will run you $400, a used JCM2000 combo costs about $450-$500 usually.
ಠ_ಠ
Don't let people tell you that because the AC30VR is hybrid it "basically sounds like a solid state". As an owner of the AC15VR I can say that it is the most tube sounding hybrid amp I have come across.
::::::Cherry Epiphone Les Paul Standard Custom Shop With Bigsby:::::
::::::Vox AC15VR::::::
Quote by iTim
Don't let people tell you that because the AC30VR is hybrid it "basically sounds like a solid state". As an owner of the AC15VR I can say that it is the most tube sounding hybrid amp I have come across.

Sense does not make.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If you can find a DSL401 that you can afford snap it up. They make a mighty fine blues amp and are mighty loud. They have a power amp very similar to an AC30. Crank the suckas up and you can get some real blues power amp distortion. Now I'm not saying they sound like an AC30 but they have a similar type of power amp breakup when cranked.
Out of all the amps recommended here I'd take a DSL401 any day. Run one through a 1960 with a tubescreamer in front and you can get into real Gary Moore territory. Pretty tasty little amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Haven't played the VR. Wouldn't play a 30 watt solid state amp with a drummer either.
The Class 5 is a really nice amp, but it won't hold up to a drummer.
And don't narrow your search down to two amps that don't fit your needs... that won't help mate!

Check out a second hand Classic 30 combo. Good, versatile and affordable.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

An AC15C would probably cut it if you don't mind a little breakup at band levels. All tube. None of that valve reactor nonsense. Putting a 12AX7 in a modelling amp for "warmth" is a marketing gimmick. That's like putting a solar cell phone charger in your car and calling it a hybrid.

You could probably find a used AC30 for the price of a new AC15.

And you never specified a budget. Hard to suggest a good fit when we don't know what you're willing to spend.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I'm not at all familiar with the used gear market in the UK, but if you can get a brand new AC15C for around 450 GBP (looked it up on thomann yesterday), then I'm assuming you could find a real, used AC15 or AC30 within your budget. That's what I would do.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Trobe78
Ok I will have a look at the line 6 valve but I still like the look and sound of the vox ac30vr, and the class 5!

Save up more money then.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90