Well here is a demo for a instrumental prog guitar song i wrote.

http://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thorkildsen

Please give constructive critisism on the song writing.
Post your music and i will reply on it!

Note:
What you hear is written in guitar pro 6, using rse ("real" sound clips, rather than midi. The reas on is that i dont have the money for recording gear. This is only a demo reply on my songwriting, rather than it is not recorded in the proper way. I still can play this on guitar...
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Nov 27, 2011,
I only have time to listen to the first track, and while I'm fairly certain you were not playing in these--as the user above seems to note, they sound like midi tracks--I'll still comment on what you have going on here composition wise. I really like the last breakdown, and you have some nicely written guitar stuff interspersed throughout. I wasn't too found of the SNES style slow calm part in the second-third of the song, but all in all though, I'd say this is a pretty solid composition. Now you just have to get a live version

Good luck, and keep rocking!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498001
-------

"So if 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', then isn't 'congress' the opposite of 'progress'?"
- John Stewart, Daily Show
Quote by SchmifftyFive
I only have time to listen to the first track, and while I'm fairly certain you were not playing in these--as the user above seems to note, they sound like midi tracks--I'll still comment on what you have going on here composition wise. I really like the last breakdown, and you have some nicely written guitar stuff interspersed throughout. I wasn't too found of the SNES style slow calm part in the second-third of the song, but all in all though, I'd say this is a pretty solid composition. Now you just have to get a live version

Good luck, and keep rocking!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498001

Cool i check it out soon!

Anyway this is written in guitar pro and i know it... However, this is just a demo and ideas. It will be properly recorded soon. Please comment on my songwriting skills and not my recording skills.
cool song i've actually heard some of your songs before and am already following you haha

anyways, the beginning was really nice, and reminded me a lot of the band Animals As LEaders.
the drums that come in could have been a lot better, especially if they build up (either in terms of volume or speed) to the riff. for the rest of the song, the drums are really good, and the guitar compositions sounds really nice, and the jazzy section at around 1:50 is really ear catching.
also, the dissonant, heavy chords at the end sounded ****ing brutal

the only other thing i want to say is that i really want to hear you play guitar, so but a line 6 pod or another direct input digital amp so that you can easily record!

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28574818#post28574818
There is a lot of variety in here, the track itself is very creative. The intro was nice and clean, and then you bring in a multitude of sounds for a pretty chaotic soundscape, but I think the entire track is very cohesive. I like the little theme and melodic riffs that you repeat, they are quite catchy. There are also some pretty cool chord progressions, one of which really reminds me of older video games, I guess back in the 16 bit era. The outro was quite alarming, and ended a bit abruptly. If you are still into this track I could see a little more going on after the endpoint.

Really nice work! I really liked the drum programming as well. I hope you can grab some decent recording gear and do this music some justice! It deserves a nice and heavy recording.
Quote by Braincheese
Cool =) I liked it when the faster parts kicked in, quite cool.
Really sounds like some SNES-music with this MIDI stuff

c4c: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJjKJ-_d4YQ

Hey dude, it says that your video is private. :/
It feels a bit schizophrenic because its only around 3 minutes long, but it flows together nicely like variations on a theme... It feels a bit like an overture. That ending I'd like to hear recorded live and then to be the basis on another song.

Now, I didn't like that it was pushing my headphones to the point of breaking up, and... Its in MIDI, so there really isn't much to critique besides what the song is. Get it recorded proper soon!
Sounds really sweet, if you were to play it with some good equipment it would be pretty awesome. The song writing is pretty crazy, I really enjoy this kind of stuff. Also the end is seriously mind blowing. Seriously get some equipment and record this. Good job

And thanks for the crit
Usernames suck,
Thank you for the review(s)! Now your song: sometimes the guitar sounds pretty real, and other times fairly unnatural. That's not to say unnatural is completely a bad thing. In a certain way it's interesting. Though I'm guessing I would like it better overall if it was well played with a real guitar. If you could do all the sweeps & whatnot (on real guitar), that would be impressive (I only sweep the garage). I think it would have a completely different vibe on real guitar (way less machine-like). Overall, I think the songwriting is good. Keep at it!
Cool stuff! I like the timing and harmonic language. It'd be nice to hear it with real instrumentation but of course the midi serves well enough. I feel like the melody needs to be more present and active for this to stand on it's own without vocals however. My opinion only, of course.

You're doing some really cool work for sure, keep it up!

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494117
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Cool stuff! I like the timing and harmonic language. It'd be nice to hear it with real instrumentation but of course the midi serves well enough. I feel like the melody needs to be more present and active for this to stand on it's own without vocals however. My opinion only, of course.

You're doing some really cool work for sure, keep it up!

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1494117

Oh my god, lot of respect to you dude! I clicked "liked" on it! I got the same feeling watching your video, when i heard "drifting" for the first time. Makes me really want to get an accoustic. What time sig is the intro btw?
This is a really interesting piece, critting as I go:

0:09-0:10: Maybe another harmony to the fill here. Diatonic 6ths would be my recommendation.

0:28-0:29: Transition was a bit sudden. Maybe modulate the previous theme into harmonic minor and focus on the raised 7th and the diminished chords you can construct with is.

1:37: All your transitions between melodic and dissonant sections are virtually non-existant. Adding in some sneaky melodicism or dissonance between each change in mood will really help this piece.

3:09: Volume swells to introduce the dissonant outro. Harmonised the same as the outro itself (Minor 2nds?).

Otherwise it's pretty good. Nothing wrong with each individual section but I really dislike the transitions.

C4C?
Quote by Usernames sucks
Oh my god, lot of respect to you dude! I clicked "liked" on it! I got the same feeling watching your video, when i heard "drifting" for the first time. Makes me really want to get an accoustic. What time sig is the intro btw?

Free bump for the OP

Thanks so much, it surprisingly works in 4/4. I have it notated as 3 16ths and an 8th, 3 16ths, 16th 8th 16th, and then 4 16ths. There's probably a better way to do this honestly but it fits into 4 bars that way and I don't count my own music. It would be hard for someone to read though,
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712