For years, I have been a huge fan of dream theater. Recently licklibrary released this new video on to their channel, showing a preview of Andy James's new lesson. The preview they had put up had one particular part that caught my ear.
If you listen at 1:10 it goes into a few really melodic sounding runs. How would I create something similar to this?

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xFkSnein65c#t=70s
The technique is string skipping arpeggios.
Find the Key and chords. And arpeggiate the notes.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Drawingbankai
It's simple really, you just have to be superhuman.

Andy James sure is a superhuman
Nameless742 is right, its arpeggios.

That is simply take the notes of the chord and play them on at a time. What he is doing here is that he is playing arpeggios in 3 octaves i think. 1 on the lower e, one 2 frets higher on the d and then on the high e.

You should really look into arpeggios, easiest way to sound very melodic.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Nameless742 is right, its arpeggios.

That is simply take the notes of the chord and play them on at a time. What he is doing here is that he is playing arpeggios in 3 octaves i think. 1 on the lower e, one 2 frets higher on the d and then on the high e.

You should really look into arpeggios, easiest way to sound very melodic.

I know a lot of different arpeggios actually! For whatever reason I didn't recognize them in the video.
Quote by ATWFAleadguitar
I know a lot of different arpeggios actually! For whatever reason I didn't recognize them in the video.

things sound incredibly different when one string skips like crazy :P
makes scales not boring at all :P

isnt using a hair band "cheating" ? (by no means i am trying to discredit Andy , he is awesome) im asking seriously..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 21, 2011,
Yeah he was playing STRING SKIPPING arpeggios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqWTz2qDhm8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0x6FMGIQk

This is Paul Gilbert, very big on string skipping and a BIG influence on Andy James.
here's some lessons.

Edit: Slash. He is using it for purposes of demonstration.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Slashiepie
things sound incredibly different when one string skips like crazy :P
makes scales not boring at all :P

isnt using a hair band "cheating" ? (by no means i am trying to discredit Andy , he is awesome) im asking seriously..

Nah man it just cleans it up for recording.
Using a hair band is cheating. You should be able to play it without one. (Which I'm sure he could.)

String skipping arpeggios. Paul Gilbert is now your best friend.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
In my opinion, you cannot cheat on the guitar. You will still need to have technical skill to play, it just makes the muting a bit easier, especially for tapping.

If it gets the job done and makes playing easier for you, why not use it?
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
In my opinion, you cannot cheat on the guitar. You will still need to have technical skill to play, it just makes the muting a bit easier, especially for tapping.

If it gets the job done and makes playing easier for you, why not use it?

This ^^^
I think you should probably transcribe that bit by ear or just buy the DVD, I mean, it is a promo for a product and you seem to like the teaser.

Cheating as in, getting better musical results for less effort? That just sounds smart.

Obviously you should be able to play without it - and I know from personal experience that Andy can play like that standing up, drunk and without the hairband!
I have nothing to add to this discussion.

But thank you, TS. I haven't heard something that has made me go "H-h-holy shit, what was that?" in a while.