Hey guys, I need a good distortion pedal for metal and similar genera (think KSE, coheed, maylene and the sons of disaster...) but Ill be using my bass amp head and 4x10 cab.
I know this probably isnt the most recommended high end set up, But I cant be arsed to buy a whole amp right at this particular moment. Ill just be using it for jamming and maybe small gigs if I get that far.

Any recommendations for a good sounding pedal? My guitar is a Schecter omen 6 (diamond series ) with upgraded pickups, the Wylde signatures which I think are just an 81 and an 85.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Yore better off buying a cheap guitar amp.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
But I really cant afford to spend that much money. And is it really that needed just to jam a bit and do some small giging?
Whats your bugdet?

Wampler Triple Wreck or Barber Dirty Bomb would be fine then maybe just up the Mids and Treble

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
My budget is around (preferably under... way under) 100 USD, and, of course, Ill be buying used if I can.
There is no telling what this is going to sound like. Bass amps, specifically bass speakers can sound like godknowswhat. My own experiences with using bass-rigs for guitar range from "mediocre" to "unusable". Unless you can borrow a bunch of pedals and run them through your rig to see what it'll do, you're screwed.
Quote by c3powil
My budget is around (preferably under... way under) 100 USD, and, of course, Ill be buying used if I can.

Save up, buy new amp.

/thread
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Ive used some guitars through my amp before and the mediocre distortion I have on my recorder sounds almost better than it did coming out of a guitar amp. It has a horn and a fair bit of high end to it. Im confident it will sound okay, at least.
Best possibility I can think of is getting a modeller with speaker-simulation along the lines of a POD or Tonelab and running it straight into the PA (if available) or if there is no other way, into the bass-amp's line-in. The latter is probably not ideal (again, depends on the rig), but it's got a better chance of getting you decent results than a distortion pedal.
How about the Peavey Vypyr, then? I hear its the jack of all trades.
Quote by c3powil
Ive used some guitars through my amp before and the mediocre distortion I have on my recorder sounds almost better than it did coming out of a guitar amp. It has a horn and a fair bit of high end to it. Im confident it will sound okay, at least.

Horns are the last thing you want for guitar. It's counterintuitive, but the main problem I've encountered with using bass speakers for guitar is too much high-mids and treble. It's not so bad clean, but it gets painful with some overdrive. As a rule of thumb, anything above 5kHz needs to be turned down, and anything between 1kHz and 5kHz needs to be watched closely.

EDIT: Get a used Vypyr 30 and you're good.
Used vypyr 30 eh? Alright, thanks guys. Maybe I can sell my bass head.
a 4x10 cab will sound fine for guitar don't let that scare you. back in the day (80s) i used a mid 70s fender bassman head through a 6 x 10 cab with a pro co rat for distortion sounded suprisingly good. that was tube however not sure how well that would work with a solid state bass head
If you had the choice, would you chose the 30 watt version or the 75 watt version. I can get the 75 watt version for only 50 bucks more than the 30 watt version ans was wondering that would be worth it.
You aren't going to get a good quality Metal Distortion pedal for under $100 unless you go used. However, i can definitely recommend the DigiTech Hardwire TL-2. I have it and have used it through many amps and even through PA's by itself, and it's a great pedal for the price. As a plus, it includes a Mid-Frequency knob that might help a good bit since you're using a bass setup.

Other than that, other good options are:
Blackstar HT-Dist
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff

You also might check out the Rocktron Third Angel Distortion, but I've heard somewhat mixed reviews about it. The Unrighteous control might help you out though, like the Mid-Freq knob on the TL-2
Quote by c3powil
If you had the choice, would you chose the 30 watt version or the 75 watt version. I can get the 75 watt version for only 50 bucks more than the 30 watt version ans was wondering that would be worth it.

75, the 30 wouldn't be enough for an unmic'd gig.
At that price difference, more is better
I think if I'm going to have to spend over 1 0 bucks I might as well go all out. Vypyr 75 it is. Thanks fellahs.
You seriously could just run a POD into the bass amp and it would sound good. Bass amps are clean and perfect for modeling.
I have to disagree with everyone who is saying you can't get a good sound out of the bass amp.I honestly spend more time playing guitar through a bass amp than a guitar amp.Whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend a solid state bass head for metal,a bass rig isn't going to be as a bad as is made out.
If I were you,I would find a cheap,straightforward modeler pedal.At the low end of the scale,an analogue modelling pedal wouldn't sound too bad,compared to a digital modeller of the same price.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by monwobobbo
a 4x10 cab will sound fine for guitar don't let that scare you. back in the day (80s) i used a mid 70s fender bassman head through a 6 x 10 cab with a pro co rat for distortion sounded suprisingly good. that was tube however not sure how well that would work with a solid state bass head

Quote by Ian hawkins
I have to disagree with everyone who is saying you can't get a good sound out of the bass amp.I honestly spend more time playing guitar through a bass amp than a guitar amp.Whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend a solid state bass head for metal,a bass rig isn't going to be as a bad as is made out.
If I were you,I would find a cheap,straightforward modeler pedal.At the low end of the scale,an analogue modelling pedal wouldn't sound too bad,compared to a digital modeller of the same price.

*Sigh*

Like I said earlier, there is no way to tell how it'll sound. It comes down to the rig at hand. The problem is less the head and more the speakers. Yes, there is a tiny chance it'll sound fine, but there is a disproportionally larger chance it won't.

Yes, a modelling preamp has a good chance of doing the trick. But if he can get a decent amp for a similar price, that pretty much settles it.
Quote by TheQuailman
*Sigh*

Like I said earlier, there is no way to tell how it'll sound. It comes down to the rig at hand. The problem is less the head and more the speakers. Yes, there is a tiny chance it'll sound fine, but there is a disproportionally larger chance it won't.

Yes, a modelling preamp has a good chance of doing the trick. But if he can get a decent amp for a similar price, that pretty much settles it.

sorry but there is no reason to think that the speakers won't be fine for guitar. please give a reason why they won't. as for the head well that is most probably optimized EQ wise for lower frequencies so that may indeed be an issue. both fender bassman and concet amps have a 4x10 option and both sound fine with a guitar. ask SRV if he had an issue using speakers that were intended for bass.
Quote by monwobobbo
sorry but there is no reason to think that the speakers won't be fine for guitar. please give a reason why they won't. as for the head well that is most probably optimized EQ wise for lower frequencies so that may indeed be an issue. both fender bassman and concet amps have a 4x10 option and both sound fine with a guitar. ask SRV if he had an issue using speakers that were intended for bass.

I have personally tried several bass cabinets for use with guitar, with both guitar and bass heads. The results have been less than satisfactory - as I have posted earlier in this thread.

You may not be aware of this, but the amps and speakers we use for guitar have a very finely tuned frequency response, the speakers in particular aren't much like anything else you'll find in audio-engineering. Far as speakers are concerned, if they are not designed for guitar, they probably won't sound good for guitar.

There's a few, very few, exceptions to this. Which I have already pointed out. Twice. So I don't know why you think you're making a point by mentioning two of them.
Anecdotal evidence has the problem of being anecdotal. It doesn't imply that all bass-amps/speakers are useful for guitar.

As for detailed reasons: Guitar speakers typically have a dip between 1kHz and 2kHz, bass (or full-range) speakers typically don't. Too much going on in that frequency-range will sound tinny clean and downright harsh and unpleasant distorted.
Between 2kHz and 5kHz, you'd usually want a stronger response for guitar (peaks between 2 and 3k are typical), which will give you presence and make you cut through in a mix. Some bass-speakers won't have enough in this range. Some will have too much, or at the wrong frequencies. Some will be just right... rare, but it happens.
Above 5kHz, you want your speakers dead silent for guitar. This isn't usually a problem, except if you've got a horn and forgot to switch it off.

Also note that in the early days of guitar/bass-amplification, a lot of equipment was developed for both uses, which it was more or less suitable for. The Bassman combos, in particular, are laughable for actual bass-use. Don't know about the Concert, but if it was an open-back combo, forget about it for bass. Heads are a different thing though.

The biggest problem here is distortion - clean, most bass speakers will sound a bit excentric, but usable. But the more overdrive you use, the more problematic it can become. There's ways around this (like modelling preamps directly into a power-amp, or at least an EQ pedal somewhere in the chain), but seeing that half-decent guitar-amps can be bought for just as much, they're not that interesting.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 22, 2011,
I just bit the bullet and decided to order the Vypyr 75 watt for roughly 230 USD. It didnt seem like much of a deal, to me, if i were to buy a pedal that would wind up costing half of a whole amplifier, and even that pedal would be taking a chance on a decent sound. Im also selling a few things to make up for it, so, hopefully, it wont hurt me too much in the long run.