Hi, I need the wisdom/advice of real Jazz fans. I got this question thrown at me at school, and I can't make up an answer. The question:

How do you see the feeling of freedom/independence that lived/lives in the USA back in Jazz music?

I'm not an enormous Jazz fan, and I don't know much about the USA either, so i'm kinda stuck...

BTW, my first reaction was 'I can't think of a music genre that is more 'free' than jazz' but that wasn't enough. And we werent allowed to just give the history of america with that slavery and all that. I really don't know what he wanted me to say

If you don't want to answer, could you please give me an advice on where I maybe could find an answer. He said that anyone who could give him a sattisfieing (i dont know how you spell that) answer would get bonus point on the next test

thanks in advance
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Ok, so you want to find some jazz which conveys the sense of American freedom? Your post confused me a bit...
Are you talking about the instrumental aspect of jazz? You can't really convey an ideology through music without using lyrics.
I'd say that it would be the improv. In all forms of jazz, there is at least some form of improv soloing, especially in a combo context. During an improv solo, you can do whatever you want. Normally there are some constraints (style, key and such), but beyond that, they are free to play anything they want.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
It feels as if you were given an essay and the subject was to draw parallels between the civil rights movements and jazz music.

I'll just leave this here, Billy Taylor playing his composition ''I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free'' which became and anthem of the civil rights movements.
I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?