I have a 2008 epiphone les paul standard that I want to upgrade so I can use it for just about everything from jazz to fusion and blues rock. I don't have any interest playing stuff with loads of distortion but I do like joe bonamassa's style/sound. In short, I want to replace ALL the electronics in my guitar and start from scratch. the duncan jazz neck and JB bridge look like the right choice as far as pickups but I have no idea what else I'll need. Any reccomendations for tone pots, wiring kits, etc? Feel free to suggest other pickups too
Thanks
personally I'm not sure if you will notice a huge amount from changing the pots and wiring... but I dont know what your guitar is like... any problems with it?
---
Last edited by Robfreitag at Nov 21, 2011,
Maybe take a look at a new amp first if you're serious about improving your tone
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Robfreitag- no problems with it at all, just looking to improve the tone. i figure that if i get new pups then i might as well get better tone pots too. and they dont cost much so its not a problem. The wiring i've read can make a difference in your sound though, atleast coming from something that was carelessly mass produced.

Paddy McK- my amps are great, ive got a Vox AC4 and a Marshall 40w Haze
Quote by UseYourThumb
Robfreitag- no problems with it at all, just looking to improve the tone. i figure that if i get new pups then i might as well get better tone pots too. and they dont cost much so its not a problem. The wiring i've read can make a difference in your sound though, atleast coming from something that was carelessly mass produced.

Paddy McK- my amps are great, ive got a Vox AC4 and a Marshall 40w Haze

update your sigg man

op well if your your rewiring everything why note add a bit of versatility like adding a coil tap or something its not difficult to do and look in the seymoreduncan site for wiring diagrams

good luck
Quote by supersac
update your sigg man

op well if your your rewiring everything why note add a bit of versatility like adding a coil tap or something its not difficult to do and look in the seymoreduncan site for wiring diagrams

good luck

haha i've tried, can't figure it out

and yeah I thought about that for a bit but i've tried out les pauls with coil splits and i dont like them all too much. if i was going for a single coil sound in my les paul it'd definetly have to be a P90

on a side note: your dancing banana goes along perfectly with Guthrie Govan's Fives
Quote by UseYourThumb
haha i've tried, can't figure it out

and yeah I thought about that for a bit but i've tried out les pauls with coil splits and i dont like them all too much. if i was going for a single coil sound in my les paul it'd definetly have to be a P90

on a side note: your dancing banana goes along perfectly with Guthrie Govan's Fives

i spent many a minutes listening to fives afeter you said that
...your right
can anyone reccomend decent electronics? cmon I know there's people out there that do this stuff often
If you are brave enough to enlarge the holes for the pots I would upgrade to CTS pots, however alpha pots would just drop straight in and are of reasonable quality.

Look around for LP style wiring kits to get all the components and hookup wire in a reasonably priced bundle.

Its always worth playing around with cap values too, on a Les Paul style guitar I tend to go with a 0.010mf neck cap which rounds off the tone of the pickup without going too dark and a 0.022mf for the bridge position.

Dont get caught up in all the talk of the perfect vintage capacitor, the signal passing through them is going to ground so the contruction is much less important than the value. Having said that, I like to use orange drop style caps as they are solid, chunky components with strong legs and they just look sort of right in a guitar cavity.
Last edited by sic6505+ at Nov 23, 2011,