I just recently got moved into a new house and finally have the space for my studio, and my friend let me have his copy of presonus studio one for my laptop to boot. but It's the hardware that's bugging me. I'm looking for a sort of all in one machine or package or something for less then 500 bucks.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/4155/Guitars/Guitar_Effects/Line_6/POD_Studio_KB37.htm

I saw this and thought it was an elegant solution, but i saw allot of mixed reviews. Is there any sort of interface like this one in that price range? or is that line 6 one really good? what are your thoughts/opinions.

Cheers, AJ
If you give a man a fuzz, he will fuzz for a day; if you teach a man to fuzz, he will fuzz for his lifetime...
buy an audio interface for 60 bucks, buy a keyboard for 30. Sorted.

Yes you've got two bits of hardware instead of one and it doesn't look as cool but your saving a whole lot of cash.

Oh and buy second hand cos it's cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280771116789?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_885wt_1344

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evolution-MK-149-Midi-Keyboard-/300623553831?pt=Midi_Controllers&hash=item45fe8f6527#ht_500wt_1361
Last edited by Tune my fork at Nov 21, 2011,
for a good studio setup you'll want; a decent computer, an audio interface (with as many inputs as you'll need), decent monitors for mixing, and a good daw to work with. they're all pretty much the same, find one that you like.

if your going to be micing an amp or drums you'll want the appropriate mics and stands.

how much you spend all depends on what you want to achieve in the long run.

you can pretty much get by with just and interface and a daw to work with and have quality recordings, it all depends on what your looking to do within the studio.

if your computer has decent specs i would just get an interface, you can get them for a couple hundred or even cheaper depending on quality, and spend the remaining on a pair or monitors or microphones, whatever you need more.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Ok, I assume you've got a fairly modern computer?

I would go with the following:

Studio Projects B1 $110
This is your large condenser mic, your main jack-of-all-trades, for vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion, whatever you want. the B1 is a cracking mic for the price, there's very little else in the price range that can touch it.

M-Audio AV40 $120
You need monitors to accurately hear what you're mixing - PC speakers won't cut it. 'Real' studio monitors that give you a very accurate representation cost thousands, but at the budget end the AV40s are pretty damn good. You won't be mixing top 10 singles on them, but they're good enough not to hold you back for a few years while you're learning recording. They're simpler and more convenient than pro monitors (they plug directly into the PC).

Amplitube 3 FREE
For electric guitar and bass, you can plug your guitar straight into the PC using your interface and use amp modelling software to get studio-quality tone. Getting it set up so there's no delay is a bit fiddly but it's incredibly handy.
Amplitube 3 is one of the best modellers out there, and now has a full-featured free version (not a demo), which has enough amps and pedals to cover pretty much everything. You can buy individual amps and pieces of gear from their shop too, which is quite a neat touch.

Roland TriCapture $130
You need an interface to get your mics, guitars etc into the PC. There's a ton of good ones out there around the $100 mark, such as the Lexicon Lambda, M-Audio Fast track etc. The mic preamps probably aren't the best in the price range, but the reason I'd choose it is twofold:

- Good, reliable ASIO drivers
- Comes with Sonar X1 LE

Sonar X1 LE is the only one of the 'LE' bundled programs that I would actually use as my main recording software. It's got a fantastic interface and very few restrictions compared to the dtripped down versions of Cubase, Oro tools etc.
I learned to mix on Sonar, I've worked with Cubase, Pro tools and Studio One but I still return to Sonar. It's probably the most user-friendly and has a gentle learning curve (Studio One is even better, but their LE version doesn't support VSTs so that's an instant no!).

---
OPTIONAL EXTRA: Samson Q7 dynamic mic for recording guitar amps ($40)
---

So you've got a high-quality microphone, monitor speakers, a USB interface, a virtual guitar/bass amp and pro-level recording software, at a total cost of around $350.
Last edited by kyle62 at Nov 21, 2011,
Well, I don't really need to mic my amps, or worry about isolation boxes or anything. I have a very awesome sounding emulated balanced DI out on my amp that I've used on a couple recordings at a friend of mine's studio. And my computer is definitely a bit more than fairly decent, its a bit lacking in the graphics department, but it shouldn't be a problem. And I have a access to presonus studio one which is a kick ass DAW I've worked with in the past. But what about interfaces? I guess I'm sorta looking for the industry standard, like the SM58 of audio interfaces =P not totally expensive, but never has any bad publicity. Is there anything like that? same with studio monitors, and my other question was about using headphones over studio monitors for mixing and monitoring, is that a bad idea?
If you give a man a fuzz, he will fuzz for a day; if you teach a man to fuzz, he will fuzz for his lifetime...
Wow, outside of the post from Kyle, every answer was vague and gave no input on what to buy.

The one thing thats going to hinder you is your budget. For $500, you're going to have a tough time recording more than 4 inputs simultaneously. If you plan on recording drums, I recommend an interface with 8 inputs and thats going to set you back $300-$400 (A Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on Ebay). If you don't plan on recording drums, the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 is a solid one to start with. Pro Grade pres and some sweet plugins to go with it.

For studio monitors, you're not going to find much good in a pair till about the $300 range which eats your budget. Pick up some AV30s or AV40s. They're about $100 for a pair but you're gonna wanna upgrade as soon as you can since most people including myself will say they're overpriced bookshelf speakers. They work but they can be better.

And that pretty much gets you going

Since you don't plan on micing an amp, you can invest in a good condenser for vocals. Either the Audio Technica AT2020 or the Studio Projects B1 are great ones for around $100.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
If you've got access to Studio One that's awesome, don't get the interface I listed then! I'd probably go for the Lexicon Lambda if it was my money. I don't know why, it just looks nice.

You could also look at the Presonus 1Box, which is a kit with condenser mic, interface, headphones and Studio One for $199 (on offer). I can't comment on the quality of the mic but it'll probably be comparable to other cheap condensers ie. more than usable but a little unrefined. I've heard those headphones are actually quite nice.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753811-REG/PreSonus_AUDIOBOX_STUDIO_AudioBox_Studio_Set_.html

I would definitely recommend the Zoom R16 if you can stretch your budget that far; it's an interface with 8 simultaneous inputs, works as a standalone hard drive recorder, and you can use it as a mixing console to control Studio One.

The emulated line out on your amp is handy, and of course you can still run that through cabinet emulation or Amplitube etc to enhance the sound if necessary.
Yes im thinking I'll find a presonus audiobox package and an SM58 would be a good idea. And right in my price range plus I get everything. Thanks bro.
Quote by sinodira
Yes im thinking I'll find a presonus audiobox package and an SM58 would be a good idea. And right in my price range plus I get everything. Thanks bro.

An SM58? What for?
If you need more than two inputs, I bought one of these a few weeks ago just to try out and use as a mobile interface and I'm pleasantly surprised:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-us-800-usb-audio-midi-interface

Not as good as my studio setup, but it's also significantly cheaper. You can't beat 6 inputs and Cubase LE5 for $100
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Not sure why reaper hasn't been mentioned yet $40 and I easily prefer it to Cubase
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Not sure why reaper hasn't been mentioned yet $40 and I easily prefer it to Cubase

Almost anything is preferable to Cubase.

It hasn't been mentioned because TS already has Studio One. No need to toss out another $40 from an already limited budget. Plus, most starter interfaces come with a DAW anyway.
Quote by sandyman323
Almost anything is preferable to Cubase.

meh... I've been using Cubase for over ten years now. I love it, but it ain't cheap.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
meh... I've been using Cubase for over ten years now. I love it, but it ain't cheap.

CT

Aye, it can be a pain in the arse for some things and it's starting to lag behind a little, but there's still so much it does well.
Quote by axemanchris

CT

+1, <3 Cubase.

Anyone wanna trade their copy of Cubase 5/6 for PT9?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just thought I'd say the monitors Kyle listed are on sale on Amazon for $89 for black Friday.
Obviously Fassa.
Quote by kyle62

I would definitely recommend the Zoom R16 if you can stretch your budget that far; it's an interface with 8 simultaneous inputs, works as a standalone hard drive recorder, and you can use it as a mixing console to control Studio One.

I disagree with this statement whole-heartedly. I own the Zoom R16 and I have to say it's not worth the money. Yeah it has a whole bunch of cool features but its pre-amps aren't very good.

Also, I've had mine for around 1-2 years. It's sat in the same spot on my desk since i've had it and somehow it's bugging up. Seriously, haven't moved it at all and it's giving me digital feedback when I record. The outputs start bugging out when I have stuff playing through them 50% of the time.
Quote by BloodReverence
I disagree with this statement whole-heartedly. I own the Zoom R16 and I have to say it's not worth the money. Yeah it has a whole bunch of cool features but its pre-amps aren't very good.

Also, I've had mine for around 1-2 years. It's sat in the same spot on my desk since i've had it and somehow it's bugging up. Seriously, haven't moved it at all and it's giving me digital feedback when I record. The outputs start bugging out when I have stuff playing through them 50% of the time.

What else in the price range is remotely comparable though?
Quote by kyle62
What else in the price range is remotely comparable though?

You mean in terms of features? Probably nothing, but who's really going to use EVERY feature this thing has? Honestly, either get a quality interface or a quality mixer. The R16 is a cool CONCEPT but it just doesn't deliver when it comes to sound quality. Not to mention I'm questioning its reliability at this point.

I've been nothing but disappointed by the results I've been given with it. Let's just leave it at that.