a carved top is raise in the middle of the guitar with the center sloping twards the edges. I dont think id does much of anything to alter tone, It just makes it easyier to play IMO.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Many guitar brands have carved tops on select models, like Les Pauls, higher end Ibanez, PRS, etc. It's a comfort feature.
Adding to what has already been said; Carved top guitars generally have an angled-back neck and a raised bridge, though that's not to say flat tops can't have angled necks and raised bridges, or that carved tops can't have 'parallel' necks and recessed bridges.

The difference it makes to your sound all depends on the wood, and not the shape. I have a carved mahogany top on a mahogany body, which sounds a bit different from the more standard carved maple of mahogany body.
Quote by Wisthekiller
I have a flat-top Gibson Les Paul with a angled neck and raised bridge, and a carved top Agile Les Paul style with a parallel bridge (Floyd Rose) and unangled neck so because of the post above me, I feel special!

I'm glad you posted too, because I would have found it hard to come up with examples if somebody called me out. I mean I've heard of and seen and perhaps even played a few, but only in passing. I've never owned one that is outside "the norm," (not that there really is one...)
Quote by Butt Rayge
I'm glad you posted too, because I would have found it hard to come up with examples if somebody called me out. I mean I've heard of and seen and perhaps even played a few, but only in passing. I've never owned one that is outside "the norm," (not that there really is one...)

Should I post pictures of a flat top Les Paul and a carved top one side-by-side?
Quote by Wisthekiller
Should I post pictures of a flat top Les Paul and a carved top one side-by-side?

If you like. It might help the TS, or it might not. He is asking about tone mostly, but It's a chance for you to show off you guitars, I suppose, and I know I'm itching to do that pretty often.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

On the left is an archtop, on the right is flattop. They are both 100% mahogany as far as wood is concerned. The main difference is (ignoring pickups, the flat top has better pickups) that the archtop has a lower and middier sound along with slightly more sustain due to the fact that it has more wood from the top (3 pounds more actually!) and I highly doubt the Floyd would help it at all.
I find carved tops more comfortable to play due to it not having such a sharp corner where your right arm rests. Other than that, it's pretty much just aesthetics.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes