Hey,

I've had a problem with my strings going rusty since I started playing guitar. For some reason, after about 3 days my strings go all nasty and rusty; even after I've washed my hands and stuff. I've tried cleaners and different string brands but none seem to fix it.

Any ideas?
Buy some GHS fast fret and wipe your strings down with it after everytime you play.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
buy better strings. ernie ball for electric and martin for acoustic
Quote by captaincrunk
This isn't a guitar forum.

Try WebMD.

Quote by MH400
www.ultimate-guitar.com

Quote by Robbgnarly
Buy some GHS fast fret and wipe your strings down with it after everytime you play.

^This +100

Ever since I spent the $3 for that stuff four months ago, I haven't had to change any strings. It helps to wipe a little bit on the rag and apply it under the strings too. Otherwise, you might find that the top of the strings are perfect, yet the corrosion under the strings causes dead spots, buzz, disgusting sounding bends/vibrato, etc.
I know you said you tried different strings, but what brands/sets exactly?
Ernie Balls used to last me a good 2 weeks before rusting or wearing on me. Since I switched to D'Addario I've been able to have em stay good for about a month with proper string cleaning.
it could also be from humidity couldn't it?

my friend's room is in the basement of their house and it's really humid. Strings start to go bad after a couple days.
Quote by rickyj
it could also be from humidity couldn't it?

my friend's room is in the basement of their house and it's really humid. Strings start to go bad after a couple days.

yes. if you find that your strings, or hardware rusts easily,
then one issue might be humidity.

a help would be to leave the guitar in its case with
some silica packs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have the same problem, though not as severe. Elixir nanowebs work great for me. They cost about twice as much as EB's, but last about 4X as long, so
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Do they go rusty in specific spots on the string (such as where you touch them) or do they just go rusty all over at the same time?
Strings go rusty where I play. I'm low on fresh sets, so should I give the coated or w/e ones a try?

As for fastfret, yes I do use it. The strings still go rusty.
Maybe your body is just acidic or something. I honestly have never had this problem. D'addarios never rust on me, I only remove them when they start to sound old.
I use D'addario strings and I only need to change them once every few months. Granted, they aren't in pristine condition after a month or two, but they're certainly playable, and I don't even notice it until 3 or so months go by. My last change was the beginning of September and I'm only starting to remember that I need to change strings.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Quote by Spud Spudly
Maybe your body is just acidic or something.

This might be it. One of my teachers used to have to change strings every day when he was on tour because all he ate was fast food for a few months. He said the strings corroded in around 10 hours of playing. When he's back home and sticks to his regular meals he changes then every few months.

Acidity of sweat might be it, especially if its only rusting in the spots you play..........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I have very acidic skin I carry baby wipes with my guitar and before I play I use one. I find it helps some.
Quote by milahsdfwe
buy better strings. ernie ball for electric and martin for acoustic http://LNK.by/fjwcz

WTF!? How smart are adbots these days? Tricked me into clicking on the link....yeah, I'm an idiot....

*reported post*
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
got the same problem, get some ghs fast fret or the fret board spray and live with it. Dont bother with the coated strings they DO last 3x as long BUT they all cost 3x as much too... so to me it doesnt matter, i'd rather change strings more often, plus i can try diffrent wounds rather than keep one set on for 3x.
As mentioned before, your skin is acidic. Not a lot to be done about it but wipe them down after each use.

FWIW, I have heard it said that Rory Gallagher had the same problem.
Ibanez SR1200E
Last edited by pachap at Nov 23, 2011,
get a large bottle of silica beads, and get a small sack to store a small quantity of the silica beads. Leave it in your case. Replace the beads when they turn pink.

other than that, i've been using the blue dunlop formula 65. i've been using the same bottle since 2006-2007.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Nov 24, 2011,
Quote by JKHC
WTF!? How smart are adbots these days? Tricked me into clicking on the link....yeah, I'm an idiot....

*reported post*

It just copied a post of another user and added the link. But yea...... they are getting smarter. O_O

Back on topic, maybe try some coated strings? I heard they last longer. Haven't tried them myself though. :|
Go for Ernie Ball Strings. I need only 2 packs a year + I use Dunlop Formula 65 String Cleaner & Conditioner.
Apply it, wait a bit, wipe it off and your good to go. Never had problems with them.

Cleaned a set of 1 1/2 year old strings on my old strat (strings were rusty as ****, no shit)
After I cleaned them they were good as new!!
Quote by RaspberryPouncy
Go for Ernie Ball Strings. I need only 2 packs a year + I use Dunlop Formula 65 String Cleaner & Conditioner.
Apply it, wait a bit, wipe it off and your good to go. Never had problems with them.

Cleaned a set of 1 1/2 year old strings on my old strat (strings were rusty as ****, no shit)
After I cleaned them they were good as new!!

I don't think he needs this advice almost 4 months later >_>
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...