Would it be possible for me to build an sg with a bolt on 25.5" strat neck? I have a friend that will lend me his faded sg to trace and make measurements of. I'm planning on buying the neck and cutting the neck joint on the sg to fit the neck that I buy. Will I have any trouble with the placement of the bridge or the intonation if I do this? I really want to make an sg junior but I don't really trust myself with making a set neck guitar and since this will be my first build I want to keep everything cheap and strat necks seem really cheap.
If you build the body from scratch you'll have no problems.
If you're buying a body, make sure it's one that doesn't have the holes for the bridge posts pre-drilled. The bridge will have to go slightly further back than normal or your intonation will be shot.
Don't listen to blaaargh; scale length is really arbitrary. If you know that you need a 25.5" scale for the neck, then you can just adjust the positioning of the bridge to suit that length. It will sit a bit further back along the body as whoomit said, but that's not a problem. If you want a detailed drawing of a Gibson SG, flick me a PM and I'll send it your way (it might save you some time).
My bad, I got this thread mixed up with the other one and thought he already had a body. It'll work fine if you get the bridge positioned right. Just know that it won't sound like an SG. That may be a good thing though, depending on what you want out of the guitar.
Quote by blaaargh
My bad, I got this thread mixed up with the other one and thought he already had a body. It'll work fine if you get the bridge positioned right. Just know that it won't sound like an SG. That may be a good thing though, depending on what you want out of the guitar.

That's funny, 'cause I got the other one mixed up with this one, and thought the guy in the other thread was just asking if it would work
would I move the bridge back 3/4 of an inch since that's the difference in scale length or is there some kind of weird equation, or alternatively, does anyone know where I can find a cheap 24.75" bolt on neck?
Yeah that's the one, it should measure 25.5" from the nut to the saddle. Just another thought: SG's have a neck angle of around 3.5 degrees to suit a ToM bridge. If you plan on using a Tune-o-matic then you'll want to angle the neck as well. If you're planning on using a normal strat bridge then a flat neck should be fine.
If you wanted to go with the 25.5" neck, you would put the bridge 12.75" from the 12th fret (half the scale length). If you want a cheap neck, look on ebay, although it might be tougher to find. Most guitars with 24.75" scale are set necks, iirc.
Would it be worth it to buy a used epiphone les paul special or junior for the neck and then sell all the other parts on eBay?
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by fuzzpedal
Would it be worth it to buy a used epiphone les paul special or junior for the neck and then sell all the other parts on eBay?

If you are gonna do that why dont you just buy an epiphone sg special and upgrade it? new pups, electronics, tuners ect.
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
Quote by fuzzpedal

I dont think so, just move the bridge. Its about a 3/4 inch difference. You might also be able to fiddle a little with where the neck lands in the body, which will of course change how much you move the bridge.