Hi, I was thinking of taking advantage of black friday deals and buying a new laptop since my desktop is pretty much dying on me. With all these tablet computers around, especially that new Aseus Transformer Prime coming out, I really want one. I'll admit that it's mostly because they are "neat". Seriously, laptops just seem more efficient for now. I may just be technologically ignorant, but it seems like tablets do the same thing as my smartphone, only with a bigger screen :/ What does UG think about tablets and laptops?

Are there any major advantages that tablet computers have over laptops?
Tablet's are more mobile. That's pretty much it. They are basically big smart phones, so if you just want to surf and run apps, cool, but if you really need to type a lot and such, get a laptop.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
My brother has an iPad. My Macbook Pro can do more, but it is still pretty cool. If I had the money I would get one.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by The_Sophist
Tablet's are more mobile. That's pretty much it. They are basically big smart phones, so if you just want to surf and run apps, cool, but if you really need to type a lot and such, get a laptop.

This.

Im thinking of getting one too tbh since I have some spare cash coming in, but only for surfing, watching a few vids and messing about with random apps. Thats all they are good for really.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
no advantages. unless you count looking like a rich technologically illiterate **** an advantage.

tablets generally us OS's similar to mobile phone ones. and you can't compare the 2 spec wise. all in all they are not a replacement for an actual pc and you shouldn't think that. at the moment they're more a gimmick. like an oversized phone, with out the phone part.
Quote by jsync
no advantages. unless you count looking like a rich technologically illiterate **** an advantage.

tablets generally us OS's similar to mobile phone ones. and you can't compare the 2 spec wise. all in all they are not a replacement for an actual pc and you shouldn't think that. at the moment they're more a gimmick. like an oversized phone, with out the phone part.

This guy just about nails it right here.
I want something mostly to work with photoshop, edit videos, store music and movies, and work with recording software for my band. Tablet commercials make it look like they are best for these things but I'm leaning towards a new laptop.

EDIT: Wow I thought this thread was gonna be split more 50/50. I guess I was right about them being large smartphones
Last edited by sticksause at Nov 21, 2011,
The only way I see myself using a tablet is if I sat down in the morning to drink a cup of coffee and read the news on my tablet like I'm in the future or something. Pretty nice to have since its portable, but not really something critical at this point.
Quote by sticksause
I want something mostly to work with photoshop, edit videos, store music and movies, and work with recording software for my band. Tablet commercials make it look like they are best for these things but I'm leaning towards a new laptop

definitely get a laptop then.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by sticksause
I want something mostly to work with photoshop, edit videos, store music and movies, and work with recording software for my band. Tablet commercials make it look like they are best for these things but I'm leaning towards a new laptop

uuuuh... do you know what a tablet can actually do. pretty much... none of that. if you want to use some sort of touch screen for photoshop, then get a wacom monitor.
Quote by sticksause
I want something mostly to work with photoshop, edit videos, store music and movies, and work with recording software for my band. Tablet commercials make it look like they are best for these things but I'm leaning towards a new laptop.

EDIT: Wow I thought this thread was gonna be split more 50/50. I guess I was right about them being large smartphones

Yeah, tablets are a bit underpowered now for you to be able to do much of that. A laptop would be better for what you want to do.
Quote by jsync
uuuuh... do you know what a tablet can actually do. pretty much... none of that. if you want to use some sort of touch screen for photoshop, then get a wacom monitor.

Yes, a touchscreen monitor would be far better.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by sticksause

If you are serious about it, save up for a desktop.
A decent laptop can suit you're needs, but will become obselete in under a couple of years. Depending on which/what kind of desktop you get/build at least it will last you a lot longer than laptop, let alone a tablet.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。