Page 1 of 2
Any one else sick and tired of them? I hate hearing that bands i love are coming to the uk, only to play at reading, leeds or knebworth. 1:i dont live anywhere near these places
2:i cant afford to pay £100+ to see them
3:i dont wanna have to pay to watch and hear bands i dont like.

Sorry about this rant, it just happens to ****ing much.
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

You forgot the jerks who go. Gym attendance goes up before festivals so jerks can walk around without shirts on. True story.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Get a job
Save up
Go to a proper festival where the bands are only half the attraction.

You don't pay for a week's camping and arena passes just to stand in a sweaty field for 3 days. Go to the bars, go on the rides, see the attractions in the tents, go shopping, meet some bands, get high....enjoy the damn atmosphere.
I'd pay £200 and happily not see a single band at Download. The festival atmosphere is just great. If you don't like it, just go to small gigs.
Quote by deadkenedy
You forgot the jerks who go. Gym attendance goes up before festivals so jerks can walk around without shirts on. True story.

What's wrong with being shirtless?
Quote by deadkenedy

I sense jealousy.
You're just mad because you haven't got aesthetics, bro.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by deadkenedy

Says someone with a macho DP.

And festivals are awesome. If you don't like the bands or can't afford it then don't go . Go see another band you like at a gig. If they're far away then earn some money and get a bus there.
Mate, you're in the UK. Everything's just down the road.

My nearest 'local' festivals are at least 2 hours away. I've driven/trained/bussed in excess of 20 hours to get to some. After that I kind of give up and fly.

And as Skepsis said, it's mostly about the atmosphere. As for not liking any of the other bands, do you actually dislike them? I'm betting you've just never heard of them and can't be arsed to check them out. If this particular band you like's been booked, chances are the rest of the bands that have been booked are pretty similar, and you'll enjoy them too. Seeing as the management like to work to a theme, so the punters actually want to see more than one band each. How One Plans a Successful Festival 101.

Pure gold is often found as you're walking past a marquee when someone you wouldn't know from your Uncle Fred's long deceased rottweiler's illicit progeny is on stage.

EDIT: Okay, so I've just checked out a map of England. Even if you live way down on the furthest point of that headland bit below Wales, it can't be more than two or three hundred kilometres to any of those places you mentioned. If you're in London town, some aren't even 40km out. Are you for real?
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
Last edited by miss_muso~ at Nov 21, 2011,
I've been to a bunch of music festivals. Not only are they a lot of fun, but they're my only opportunity to see a number of bands that don't normally tour through my area.

Even if it is a little pricey, you gotta look at what you're getting out of it. Depending on the type of music/bands, you can find once in a lifetime collaborations between artists. The whole party vibe can't be beat. You're bound to make some great friends. Hell, I've even met people again at other festivals or concerts that wound up moving states away to be with somebody that they fell in love with.

Festivals are great. I've driven 20+ hours to get to some, I'm pretty sure you could get from Cornwall to the Highlands in a day's time.

Go to a festival.

Do it.

Enjoy yourself.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
First world problems
Quote by Tango616
Watching a fat kid dance around in a white shirt....wow...Al Gore was right...the glaciers really ARE shifting.

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
It's because Fassa got banned

RIP Dime
F*ck you TS. Stop your whining and bitching and support live music.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Really nowhere is that far in the UK. Get a job, get a car, go to all the festivals. They're great. Except Reading. Reading sucks.
Quote by smb
Really nowhere is that far in the UK. Get a job, get a car, go to all the festivals. They're great. Except Reading. Reading sucks.

That's because books are fucking boring
Here's a list of things people in the UK are not allowed to complain about:

1. Things being 'too far away'
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan

2. Having good teeth
Quote by deadkenedy

I'm a skinny **** and I walk around shirtless almost consistently, even through most of winter.
Quote by StewieSwan

And this.
The jealousy I have of European gigs/festivals.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
You need to distinguish bands you don't know, from bands you don't like. Just because you've never heard any music from an artist doesn't mean you won't like them. Festivals are a great way to check out other bands, because while you are waiting to watch someone you like, you can check out some different stuff. So stop whinging and go, although they are a bit pricey, they are worth it. Get some mates and road trip it if need be. Good times for all!
I'm probably gonna get shit for this, but I kinda agree with TS, festivals are not my cup of tea.

Let's compare festivals to small shows.
Ticket Price - small show: free - $25 // festival: free - $300+
Drink Price - small show: free water, $2-$3 beer // festival $1-$3 water, $3-$10 beer
Ratio of bands you want to see - small show: probably 2 or 3 out of 4 // festival: probably 2 or 3 out of 50
The Crowd - small show: usually people who share similiar interest in music & venues // festivals: kids and parents
Opening Act: small show: usually plays about half a set // festival: usually plays about 3 songs (hope you don't like the opening act)

"Oooooooo but the atmosphere is just so magical at festivals", Yea I guess if you like feeling like cattle
Last edited by fassw8614 at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by fassw8614
Ratio of bands you want to see - small show: probably 2 or 3 out of 4 // festival: probably 2 or 3 out of 50

That sentence made it obvious you haven't been to a proper festival yet. The entire idea of festivals is to watch bands you like, but more importantly, bands you wouldn't have possibly heard of and you find awesome. THAT is the magic behind festivals.

Also the atmosphere is usually good. If you go to the proper ones that is.
Quote by devourke
That's because books are fucking boring

You should be in stand-up
Download was awesome the first few times i went but the last one was crap, the whole scene is full of cunts now so the camping has gone from random hilarity to "dont annoy the twats next to you lest they burn your tents down while you're asleep.

Also its shitloads of money, badly organised and the sound quality was absolutely shite.

Small gigs are much better.
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Quote by smb
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/ Check the last Glasto line-up - if you can't see at least 100 amazing things on that list then maybe you don't actually like music.

Seriously?? a festival that has the "artists": U2, Wu Tang Clan, Coldplay, Beyonce.........again BEYONCE, Big Boi, & Jimmy Eat World.

Have fun

Reason for Edit: to not seem cool
Last edited by fassw8614 at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by fassw8614
Seriously?? you will never see me at a show/festival that has the "artists": U2, Wu Tang Clan, Coldplay, Beyonce.........again BEYONCE, big boi, or Jimmy Eat World.

You have fun though

Ooh you're cool!

Don't worry, not a chance in hell I'd be there either
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by fassw8614
Seriously?? a festival that has the "artists": U2, Wu Tang Clan, Coldplay, Beyonce.........again BEYONCE, Big Boi, & Jimmy Eat World.

Have fun

Reason for Edit: to not seem cool

Ignore the headliners. They're to keep the morons out of the good tents
Quote by fassw8614
Rant

That's what I meant. Festivals =/= headliners. The smaller bands often are way better. Because they still have to prove themselves and they have the bollocks to do it too :p Headliners are often just a waste of money and time in festivals. A few exceptions apply of course
festivals are amazing, it's not just about the music - most of my best festival memories are from the campsites. And if you can only find 2 or 3 bands you like, you're at the wrong festival.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
festivals are amazing, it's not just about the music - most of my best festival memories are from the campsites. And if you can only find 2 or 3 bands you like, you're at the wrong festival.

This is so true.

Beside UK is very small, so stop bitching and start to walk
Try living in Perth Australia, then cry about your first world problems fagg0t
Quote by KTFM
Lol Perth. Try living in Adelaide. Bands just skip us on 'National' tours. ****heads.
I had to fly to Melbourne to see Muse cos they didn't play Adelaide last year...

Well, Avenged Sevenfold came for an australian tour then cancelled just the Perth leg this year. Second time they cancelled Perth in 1 year. <3 life
Inb4a7xhate
Quote by vayne92
Try living in Perth Australia, then cry about your first world problems fagg0t

*cue worlds smallest violin*
Quote by devourke
2. Having good teeth

Out of all the things you could choose to poke fun at us, you chose our not-dissimilar-to-any-other-countries teeth?

Quote by fassw8614

Already happened, saw Beyonce on the TV and she killed it. Just like Jay Z did when he was booked and nobody wanted him.
Graspop Metal Meeting (belgium) and Wacken Open Air (germany)

if you like metal/rock check these out, i promise you it's worth booking a flight for these 2.
massive fun and a shitload of top acts. it's not like those shitty american festivals.

it's not that expensive either for what you get to see.

you only live once dude
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Jay Z was fantastic at Glastonbury whatever year it was. I'm not a fan but he's good at what he does
Just gotta do other stuff while bands you don't like play. At Reading I just got high and drunk a lot, I think I saw 2 bands the entire time I was there (a bit of Ting Ting's (don't like them, not sure why I saw them) and a bit of Metallica), and the 2 bands I actually wanted to see (Slipknot and Avenged) cancelled.

Download on the other hand was amazing.
Quote by andyscoot
Out of all the things you could choose to poke fun at us, you chose our not-dissimilar-to-any-other-countries teeth?

Are you saying people should be able to complain about having good teeth?
Page 1 of 2