Poll: New Amp or Upgrade Two Guitars?
Poll Options
View poll results: New Amp or Upgrade Two Guitars?
New Amp
27 93%
Upgrade Guitars
2 7%
Voters: 29.
My gear: Les Paul with Seymour Duncan JB in the neck and Dimarzio SD in the bridge or a Les Paul in C standard with EMG Selects (shitty passive EMGS) into either a JCA20 or Blackstar HT1R.

(That's the only gear that matters for this).

NOW! I can upgrade those two guitars or get a new amp and lose my old two.

Option ONE: I absolutely adore the HT1R, BUT I'd like it to be louder and have more headroom, so therefore upgrade to the HT-20 (don't go on some awful "IT'S NOT ALL T00BZ, IT IS TEH SUX0RZ!!!" rant on me. I love the way it sounds, I don't care if it's tube or solid state if it sounds good, which this does) by selling off the two current amps.

Option TWO: Get a set of EMG JH pickups for the Les Paul with already good pickups (I've listened to them and compared against the EMG 60/81 combo and they sound GREAT) and put the JB/SD pickups into the Les Paul with the EMG Selects to upgrade two guitars.

Those are the only options, don't suggest something else, don't suggest something else like a new amp or different pickups.

EDIT: THIS IS MY 1000th POST!!!
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Nov 21, 2011,
Amp more important. So, amp.

Oh, AND YOU CAN'T TELL ME WUT TO DO!

BLACKSTAR R TEH SUX0RZ, NOT REEL TUBE. n00b, GET REAL AMP.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Amp absolutely. Amp is of greater importance to tone than guitar or pick ups. Your LP has GREAT pickups in it already. Get the right amp and you will be really happy with your tone.
Quote by mespinos
I voted Amp before I read it was an HT-20

this
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Your pickups are already great on one guitar, and at least halfway decent on the other, but you want a louder amp. Obviously go for the new amp.

Also, don't ever come to GG&A and ask this question. If you're reduced to doing that, save yourself the time and just go buy the new amp. You will ALWAYS be told to buy a new amp on here. Unless you've already got a SLO or Diezel, in which case you should just buy the other. In fact, you'll probably just be told to buy a worse amp so you can upgrade it

Honestly, though, I would definitely upgrade the amp, and go you for sticking up for your choice in amp. If you think it sounds great, then stick with it.
New amp, so what's your budget?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
My budget is either buy the HT-20 or EMG JH pickups. Those are the only two options I want. I am closing out all other options, I've decided one of those will be what I want. If I get the pickups, it'd upgrade the pickups slightly on my main, and heavily on my downtuned. If I get the amp, it'd be... an amp upgrade.
Quote by Wisthekiller
My budget is either buy the HT-20 or EMG JH pickups. Those are the only two options I want. I am closing out all other options, I've decided one of those will be what I want. If I get the pickups, it'd upgrade the pickups slightly on my main, and heavily on my downtuned. If I get the amp, it'd be... an amp upgrade.

Too narrow minded for my tastes, but go with the amp.

/thread
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Too narrow minded for my tastes, but go with the amp.

/thread

Too narrow minded? Maybe I've just listened to sound samples of all products I was interested in and narrowed it down to those two. I started out with many more, but went down to which I preferred.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Too narrow minded? Maybe I've just listened to sound samples of all products I was interested in and narrowed it down to those two. I started out with many more, but went down to which I preferred.

Or maybe you're narrow minded.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
In which ways? I know what I want. That doesn't mean I'm narrow minded. If you were presented with the options of having your dick chopped off or winning the lottery, which would you pick? If you pick the lottery, you're narrow minded because you know what you want.

See how much that makes sense? It's essentially what you're saying when you call me narrow minded.
Quote by Wisthekiller
In which ways? I know what I want. That doesn't mean I'm narrow minded. If you were presented with the options of having your dick chopped off or winning the lottery, which would you pick? If you pick the lottery, you're narrow minded because you know what you want.

See how much that makes sense? It's essentially what you're saying when you call me narrow minded.

Your logic is infallible.

..............However, if you asked "Should I chop off my dick, or squash one of my balls", anyone with 2 brain cells is tell you the maybe broaden your search a bit.

Besides, I didn't actually call you narrow minded, I just said "Maybe". Shesh. Kids these days.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
there is some idiocy in this thread that is unnecessary.

OP knows what he wants, he clearly stated that did not want other suggestions, that it was the pickups or the amp. he knows what he wants so respect that.

it not narrow minded, it is doing the research so you can upgrade your rig to the way it suits you best.

souperman08 back off. i am with you on some points, i don't think either option is the best case scenario, but you have to respect that he knows what he wants.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Very true man, but I inferred that the maybe meant you were calling me it too. And I was referring to the "chop off the dick" as the all the things not mentioned vs the "lottery" as what I wanted. I'd rather not be called narrow-minded because I narrowed down my search before hand and just happen to love the sounds of things that aren't well loved by all. Other amps are great, I know, but I can't afford a Splawn or decent Marshall, but the sounds of the Blackstar sound absolutely amazing to me. Not just for metal either, but the cleans and rock tones are great too. As far as pickups go, I thought the JH set sounded great (despite many people not liking EMGs, I love them) and figured that I could have great pickups in two guitars instead of great ones in one guitar and "eh" pickups in another.

I do believe I shall go with the new amp though...
Quote by Wisthekiller
Very true man, but I inferred that the maybe meant you were calling me it too. And I was referring to the "chop off the dick" as the all the things not mentioned vs the "lottery" as what I wanted. I'd rather not be called narrow-minded because I narrowed down my search before hand and just happen to love the sounds of things that aren't well loved by all. Other amps are great, I know, but I can't afford a Splawn or decent Marshall, but the sounds of the Blackstar sound absolutely amazing to me. Not just for metal either, but the cleans and rock tones are great too. As far as pickups go, I thought the JH set sounded great (despite many people not liking EMGs, I love them) and figured that I could have great pickups in two guitars instead of great ones in one guitar and "eh" pickups in another.

I do believe I shall go with the new amp though...

**i wasn't intending to call you out sorry if it came off that way i was intending that for the other guy above me.** however you could come up with better analogies.

its you choice, narrow minded people is not equal to the process of elimination that you have stated you have gone through. you are making an informed, researched well thought out decision. go for the amp since you say its best.

also everybody's ideal tone is different and it changes throughout time. what sounds good to somebody could sound terrible to somebody else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
**i wasn't intending to call you out sorry if it came off that way i was intending that for the other guy above me.** however you could come up with better analogies.

its you choice, narrow minded people is not equal to the process of elimination that you have stated you have gone through. you are making an informed, researched well thought out decision. go for the amp since you say its best.

also everybody's ideal tone is different and it changes throughout time. what sounds good to somebody could sound terrible to somebody else.

Bolded- True about the analogies though, I'll admit. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Underlinedand right now the HT series has a stronger "against" bandwagon around here because many people think that since it's not a "real" tube amp, it must sound like utter crap, despite the fact that if they heard one next to real tube amp they wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference at all.

Just throwing this out here-I'm on oxy from a surgery earlier today and it's late at night. Sorry if stuff doesn't make sense.
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by Wisthekiller
Bolded- True about the analogies though, I'll admit. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Underlinedand right now the HT series has a stronger "against" bandwagon around here because many people think that since it's not a "real" tube amp, it must sound like utter crap, despite the fact that if they heard one next to real tube amp they wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference at all.

i dont really bandwagon anything. i like my splawns, so that is about as far as it gets for the band wagoning, but again i don't really think too many people who play a Splawn with a proper setup walk away not liking it.

the whole HT tube or not tube is just a point to argue on. if you like the sound, whats wrong with it? if somebody else doesn't like it tough shit for them. you play it and you like it that's what matters.

i picked up this old true hybrid Ampeg. either one or two 12AX7's (dont remember atm) for $50. i seperate it into a head/combo and am building a few new cabinets for different speakers, etc. this ampeg is 70 watts and is perfect on the cleans, it lands right between a JC120 and a twin, there is some natural feeling to it and there are some dynamics, but still is a little sterile. perfect for metal to jazz. its got to be the best $50 i have spent. hell it even had an accutronics reverb tank.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Dude, everything I've heard from Splawn is awesome (I haven't heard much, but I played a few and listened to tons of youtube samples) so I'll agree on that one.

As far as my bandwagons go: I don't like Schecters. I'll speak against them, purely on my preference, but not that they are bad guitars. Same with Vypyrs. I kept hearing people on youtube getting great sounds out of them, but on mine, even with the same settings it always sounded awful. Jet City cabinets sound just generally muffled (like a blanked is over the speaker or you're wearing a bad earbud, but I'm the only one to speak against them it seems).

Thank you for your help, my fellow Tampon. I'll be sure to thank you in the NAD when the time comes (if I remember, which hopefully I will).
This is UG, man... The answer is ALWAYS new amp.

So, umm... I vote new amp.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
^ If you like the amp that is all that matters I guess. Also, good luck with your surgery.

Quote by Wisthekiller
Thank you for your help, my fellow Tampon.

This is UG, man... The answer is ALWAYS new amp.

So, umm... I vote new amp.
Agreed. I think.

On a side note TS, when you create a thread on a public forum, especially on a somewhat controversial topic, you have to just roll with the punches.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by Wisthekiller
Probably should've expected that. I was just drugged up and tired last night (now I'm... less tired).

And people from Tampa=Tampons. If you're born and raised here, you're a full-blooded Tampon.

I think I'm gonna be sick
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Do you gig?
Having a good amp is important either way, but a HT1 is a good home amp. A Ht20 makes no sense to me, as it's not really got the balls to keep up with a full band, and is too loud to get the most of at home.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I don't gig, but I jam with friends every now and then. And 20w is plenty for gigging and quiet enough to crank at home. I can turn my JCA20 all the way up with no problem, and really just want more headroom from the Blackstar as if it weren't for the low volume and low headroom it'd be MUCH better than the JCA.
i like Tampa's hockey team. don't like the football team. baseball team was good this year. this is only the second time i've heard tampa crossed with tampons. is it that common?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
@311ZOSOVHJH: The HT1s are fun little toys, aren't they? Sound great for not being "OMG! TEH ALL t00bZ!" right?

@ECistheBest: Your username is correct. EC is my favorite in the LTD/ESP line of guitars. Oh, and it's what I hear a lot of people call people from Tampa. Tampites? Tampeans? No, people from Tampa are Tampons.
lol im a big fan of martin st louis and if not for him i wouldnt know where tampa bay was
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well the Blackstar HT1RH is still a fun amp. I don't mind all the "solid state" help that other people complain about. The reverb sounds better than the real spring reverb in some old amp I may or may not still have laying somewhere. So the HT20H will be louder and therefore what I need. Thanks guys.

And remember, solid state isn't as bad people say. Just cause it's SS doesn't mean you should treat it like a Nazi.
I've heard that the JCA22 (not JCA20) is very decent for the price. I really want to try it myself
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~