Poll: Is rising life expectancy a good or bad thing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is rising life expectancy a good or bad thing?
Good
68 53%
Bad
61 47%
Voters: 129.
Page 1 of 3
People are living longer now than ever before. The typical age of death in Ancient Roman times was 28. Most of the people here would be dead by now a few thousand years ago (and I'd be considered an elder). I understand most people want to live as long as possible, but considering the long term effects of this, is it really worth it in the long run?

Life expectancy just one hundred years ago (1911) was 50. Now, it is 78 and it may rise even further in our lifetime. Were people really meant to live this long?
I wouldn't want to live for too long. I'd just spend a bigger portion of my life as a vegatable.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 21, 2011,
Judging from the fact that the majority of my great-grandmas/aunties/uncles etc had to put into care because they couldn't look after themselves past 75, no, it's not a good thing.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Well, there are definitely bad things about it, such as the possible failure in retirement systems because people will get older while fewer people are born.

On a personal level, I think it's a good thing, but I'd rather not live past 80. And dying of old age sounds boring.

Edit: But it's only good if you can take care of yourself and want to live longer.
If nature doesn't kill me sometime in the next decade than I will.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Bad. Too many old geezers shuffling around.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
im not dying until i've destroyed 1 species of animal. i like the sound of giraffes.
Personally, I think life is way too long and I don't even see myself living past 40. Then again, Ozzy said the same thing and look what happened to him.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I plan on living forever.

So far, so good?

OT: I don't see it as being a good thing.
Calling it a bad thing may get me some funny looks, but it's sure as hell going to be detrimental.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Bad. Too many old geezers shuffling around.

This, except I mean it.
Quote by Afroboy267
Good. If people wanna live fast and die young let them, if people wanna live slow and die old let them.

Thing is, though, most of these people aren't naturally living this long. They are on all kinds of pills. Expensive pills. Who's paying for this? Oh yeah, we are.
people need to die. especially old people. how are we supposed to evolve if the old generations are still spreading their seeds?
Increased life expectancy doesn't matter as long as fertility rate is lowered in proportion.

Look at this picture:

When you are saying it's a bad thing for life expectancy to be increasing and death rates to be decreasing, you're forgetting that in the countries where life expectancy is increasing, fertility rate is decreasing at a pretty proportional rate. Most 1st world countries are in the 4th stage of that graph, and some(like Germany and Japan, whose populations are decreasing) are in a stage beyond that. In a country in transition from the 1st stage upwards, increasing life expectancy DOES create massive population growth, and it WILL.

The focus should be on getting all of the countries in the 1st stage to transition up to the 4th stage, and to get the ones "stuck" in the 2nd and 3rd stages out of them. Then population will stabilize. This is done with birth control and education of women(women in countries where proper education is available for them have almost half the number of babies compared to women in less developed countries).

So suck my dick, all you inhibitors of social progress.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Last edited by Ganoosh at Nov 21, 2011,
Dunno, it seems like a pretty grim final ten-twenty years for most people. :/
Quote by Ganoosh
Increased life expectancy doesn't matter as long as fertility rate is lowered in proportion.

So our civilization is going to run on old people?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Ganoosh

But then the old would outnumber the young. Who would be there to take care of them?
Quote by Dirge Humani
Oh, you're one of those people who cares more about money than people.

I'm done here.

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Dirge Humani
Oh, you're one of those people who cares more about money than people.

I'm done here.

yes, and we don't want to improve the life expectancy of these people. so... oh. ive confused myself now
Quote by The_Sophist
So our civilization is going to run on old people?

The key words there are in proportion.
Quote by jsync
yes, and we don't want to improve the life expectancy of these people. so... oh. ive confused myself now

I'm sure you people won't be saying that when you're old.
It's a good thing. When polled, the elderly state that their best years are their most recent, with it getting worse as they go back, so that their teens and twenties are the least fun times of their life. Therefore, living Futurama-istic lengths (like 150-ish) must be euphoric!
Quote by Ganoosh
The key words there are in proportion.

In reality, that's not going to happen. People are going to have children of their own weather they're going to live longer or not.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by slipknot5678
I'm sure you people won't be saying that when you're old.

no i agree with improving life expectancy. so long its not confused with prolonging life.
Quote by WCPhils
this

My great grandma lived to 94. The last 20 years of her life she would beg god to take her. She lost her hearing, sight, memory, I mean everything. She was hooked up to a machine the last 15 years and was pretty much a vegetable. She was a nice lady, but I knew she would have done anything to die.
Quote by Mudmen190
It's a good thing. When polled, the elderly state that their best years are their most recent, with it getting worse as they go back, so that their teens and twenties are the least fun times of their life. Therefore, living Futurama-istic lengths (like 150-ish) must be euphoric!

We must be talking to completely different types of old people then. My dad is only 51 and he hates the living shit out of it. I'll bet my right leg he would MUCH rather be 20 again.
pinga
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
In reality, that's not going to happen. People are going to have children of their own weather they're going to live longer or not.

If you refer back to my (edited) post, more educated people, and people in countries with higher standards of living, have less babies. It's a statistic. I'm talking about how to fix the problem, which is via making birth control available and educating women. So in reality, it could happen. It's going to take a very long time, but it's possible.
Quote by MiserySignals11
My great grandma lived to 94. The last 20 years of her life she would beg god to take her. She lost her hearing, sight, memory, I mean everything. She was hooked up to a machine the last 15 years and was pretty much a vegetable. She was a nice lady, but I knew she would have done anything to die.

My grandmother is 85 and still gets around great.

My next door neighbor is 96 and just cut down a goddamn tree in his yard last weekend.

Being old doesn't always mean it will be bad.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by The_Sophist
If nature doesn't kill me sometime in the next decade than I will.

I had this exact attitude when i started drinking like a pirate with a death wish as a teenager. Worst alcoholic of our whole group. Always drank the most, smoked the most, stayed up latest, cared the least about damn near everything. Guess which one out of our group is 32 now, has a severely enlarged liver, and woke up in jail two fridays ago on a dui charge with a wrecked truck? You'd better make damn sure you're prepared for the possibility you actually live through partying as hard as you want to for years and years. It happens.
Quote by Ganoosh
If you refer back to my (edited) post, more educated people, and people in countries with higher standards of living, have less babies. It's a statistic. I'm talking about how to fix the problem, which is via making birth control available and educating women. So in reality, it could happen. It's going to take a very long time, but it's possible.

It's worth noting that not meeting your replacement rate while increasing your average life expectancy will result in a greatly dwindling work force to support old people that can't work. For instance China is getting ready to face this problem.

I don't really see a problem with this, since I think increasing life expectancy is a good thing. We've just got to readjust society to more adequately take care of our elderly.

Quote by WCPhils
My grandmother is 85 and still gets around great.

My next door neighbor is 96 and just cut down a goddamn tree in his yard last weekend.

Be old doesn't always mean it will be bad.

Yeah I mean my great grandma is 100 and she does alright.
Last edited by due 07 at Nov 21, 2011,
Quote by Ganoosh

It may well be possible, but people are already being well-educated about birth control in schools and birth control methods are extremly readily availible in developed countries. People are aware of the risks of not using birth control. But in a large number of cases, people just don't think before they act when pregnancy wasn't the intention.
The other majoirty is when birth control fails.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 21, 2011,
I think if I am to live this long, I will need to move out of the city and into some remote countryside. Living in the city for that long sounds like hell.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It may well be possible, but people are already being well-educated about birth control in schools and birth control methods are extremly readily availible in developed countries. People are aware of the risks of not using birth control. But in a large number of cases, people just don't think before they act when pregnancy wasn't the intention.
The other majoirty is when birth control fails.

This isn't even an issue in developed countries though. Population growth rate is very slow in developed countries. The reason the world population is growing is because of the lack of education and available birth control in less developed countries, mostly because of cultural traditions and such.

And due, you're right, but the idea is that the population would stabilize and the fertility rate would be the same as the replacement rate, meaning...well...a stable population.
im topping myself when im no longer able to run for longer than 30 seconds. Who wants to live till they are an 80 year old vegetable anyway?
Page 1 of 3