I know that many famous people (not necessarily good) use cheap guitars like Avril Lavigne. But many of them have their own models so I guess its ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdpx7rvv3dw

2:05 in this vid caught my attention because Chester, although he isn't good, seems to be using a PRS SE Custom. They're not bad but why when the other two guitarists use Custom 24s and Custom Shop strats? Anyone know a particular reason?

And are there any other artists like this? I haven't been paying much attention to guitars when I watch people play
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Just because they have the money to afford a luxurious X-Thousand dollar guitar, doesn't mean they're obligated to own or play one. Everyone, Famous or not, should play the guitar that they themselves feel right with, and which they themselves choose. Purposely playing something other than your own personal choice just seems like selling out to me.
Look at SRV's Strat. Thing was a beaten up POS when he got it, yet he liked the way it played so much, he used it up to his death. If it feels good, and allows you to do what you want with the guitar in an efficient way, why go for something new? That's something I constantly need to remind myself whenever I'm GASing. lol
Quote by JMKAM
Just because they have the money to afford a luxurious X-Thousand dollar guitar, doesn't mean they're obligated to own or play one. Everyone, Famous or not, should play the guitar that they themselves feel right with, and which they themselves choose. Purposely playing something other than your own personal choice just seems like selling out to me.

C'mon, all of the cool kids are doing it.
an off genre metal band I saw once were using customshop First Acts..

and...we had a thread on this a little while ago..but I can't find it..so nvm..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
One thing could be that it doesn't cost that much to trash a cheap guitar on tour. Expensive stuff gets stolen too.
i'm a bit of an LP gear nerd, so i'm gonna point out thats actually one of mike's guitars, but yeah, what JustRooster said is exactly right.
Quote by Controlpanel
an off genre metal band I saw once were using customshop First Acts..
Plenty do. High On Fire, Mastodon
Tom Morello and Jack White are both known for using really cheap guitars. They're both kinda famous. Just proves that you don't need a $2,000 guitar to sound good. If you like the feel of the guitar, and the neck plays nice... You really don't need the AAAA flamed maple top and gold plated pickup selector switch. Not that those things are bad, but some musicians feel that it distracts from what's really important.

Plus you can't be punk rock with a $3,000 guitar.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Jeff Healey used Squire Strats and got a fantastic sound. Being blind, he constantly knocked them around, getting dings and nicks in them, and so he decided not to play expensive guitars. I think he used to put OBL pickups in the Squire's though, and I guess his guitar tech set them up for him.

But it shows that expensive gear is most definitely not needed for good tone and musicianship. Posing perhaps, or trying to impress somebody, but not good tone and musicianship.
A lot of times it's just a matter of bands not being as filthy rich as you assume they are. Getting a $500 Epi instead of a $2000 Gibson means a lotttt of money leftover for pb&j sandwiches while on the road.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
I saw Ben Weinmann playing a beat to death LTD last night...how that thing stayed in tune was beyond me
Os Abysmi Vel Daath
I was reading about some well known band that was looking for the right sound for a song, tried a million guitars, and wound up using an Epi Wilshire ($350) because it just sounded right to them. One of the guys in Kings of Leon uses a Sheraton II simply because that's what he grew up playing. Heck, John Lee Hooker used a Sheraton II and if it worked for him....
Some people prefer flattops to carved tops but may also still want the PRS scale and neck contour. So that's why sometimes you'll get people using a PRS SE when they could have a full PRS instead. Basically the same reason why Gibson Les Paul Juniors are still popular.

The funny thing about OP mentioning Avril Lavigne is that there's no way she plays her Squier models on stage. All of the Squier artists Fender has actually play MIA Fenders that have been branded as Squiers. Gibson have done it with their Epiphone and Kramer lines too and ESP have done it once or twice with LTD. It doesn't cost these companies anything to put their lower-level badge on a headstock, it makes the lower guitars look better because it looks like an established act is using them but the act gets to keep playing a MIA or MIJ guitar which will hold up properly when touring.
Not only that... But PRS dont make a single P90 Single Cut in an MIA version.

Hence why chester plays that one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Some do it because of their endorsements.

For example, almost anyone who has a signature Squier guitar. They'll use it on various occasions with loads of press, or for photoshoots, which is why it seems they choose the cheaper guitar over the easily accessible expensive alternative.

Of course this isn't to knock Squier, but almost anyone who can afford a Fender will choose that over Squier (not talking about the Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified - Low end Mexican grey area here.)

But if we're talking choosing a low end Prestige Ibanez over a J-Custom or an LTD over an ESP, sometimes it really is about preference.