Hey, so i have a rather large dillema and i would appriciate the imput of my fellow UGers. I own a 2009 Segovia Acoustic which i got for an incredble 75% off at my local music store's going out of buisness sale. Money is tight for me, so i cherish this baby like it was a human child... considering i'd never beable to pay the retail price of $1500. Since it was a closing sale and it was only on for 2 days i didn't have a chance to shop around or truly analyze my needs, once i played it i fell in love with it, you know the deal.

Because of my brash decision i didn't have time to think about amplification. The guitar is too beautiful to drill holes through and i play smalll rooms alot. I need a pickup that can be easily removed. I play a lot of acoustic songs in my band and our drummer likes to bash his drum skin like it was a 16 year old's hymen, so levels are an issue. We don't like recording multiple tracks so i need some thing that will let me play over at least medium loud drums.

I've done some research and i've heard goodthings about Dean Markley, their removable, good quality and reliable, so much so that even that Eric Clapton used them on stage. I've heard their pro mag single coil and artist series are crap, they produce a lot of hum and feedback. I'm leaning towards their promag gold which is a humbucker and supposedly is about as clear as i'm gonna get for under 200$.

The downside though is i've heard it has very low output and volume is a problem. I'm playing it through a 15w peavey amp as my 50w sounds like a tinfoil $h!t on clean.

So here are my questions;
Is this pickup worth the 70$? (noisy, poor sound quality, tone?)
Is there any other removable pickups for around a hundred bucks that are better?
If i do get this pickup will it be too quiet?
If so i looked around for some booster pedals and i found one from Electro-Harmonix simply title "power booster".
Is this pedal gonna rob my tone ? can it even play on clean without distorting it? Will it boost my volume sufficiently?
If anyone as any experiance with this pedal was it worth the buy?

Urggg too many questions and i got a battle of the bands in january so time is an issue. If you can share advice or answer any of my questions it would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks!!
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
I'm assuming this is a steel string guitar, but the brand, "Segovia" threw me off. He was, after all one of the immortals of catgut.

Generally, you should use an acoustic amp for acoustic electric guitars. However, as long as you don't have a full on thrash metal monster, you can get away with an electric amp. Provided that you use the clean channel, and back way off on the pregain.

Any of the sound hole pickups will not deliver the truest acoustic sound, as they're pulling almost pure magnetic input from the strings. They are microphonic to a small degree, but look forward to a hybrid electric sound, rather than the truer reproduction an under saddle piezo would give. Seymour Duncan also has a humbucker; http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-woody-hc-hum-canceling-soundhole-pickup/300957000000000 that gets decent reviews Can't testify, but I've been meaning to buy one for a shit 12 string of mine, that I'm hoping get rid of its acoustic sound.

An decent inline stompbox type preamp would help, provided you don't pump the gain up too far.

Here's a Berhinger: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHPB100

And an MXR: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MXRM133

I like the Berhinger since it's cheap and has tone controls. I used to have one of the MXRs, but I normally used a compressor instead.

I don't know much input gain the average stomp box compressor has, but it might be enough.

Good lord, remember turn the compression all the way down though, that would be an epic feed back disaster with an acoustic guitar.

It is truly unfortunate that this isn't an A-E guitar. I have two Ibanez' A-Es. and they both sound way better than my Ibanez ART 100 played through a Peavey Vyper 15.

One has a Fishman Sonicore, the other has a B-Band piezo. They both have onboard electronics.

Just saying, it may come done to drilling those holes, if you want to maintain a fully acoustic tonality.

It might help to rationalize the cost of the work needed against the, "would have cost", price of the guitar, rather than the bargain price of the guitar you paid. Most probably, you'll still come out ahead, just not quite as ahead.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 22, 2011,
THanks for the advice man i'll give that stuff a look!
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
OK so i've checked out some more stuff and it seems like no matter what pickup i use i'll need a decent preamp. Most the preamps i'm looking at are 50-100. Would it be worth just buying an acoustic amp? Do they generally have preamps built in? I found a cheap Behringer that looks like it might work if it fits those requirements. Behringer AT108 - Acoustic Guitar Amp thanks any help would be appricated
RIP
Well, this is to be expected, since most piezos are already supplied with "active electronics" which is just another way of saying they have built in preamps. My A-E guitars have more output than my stock electric.

I'm guessing that magnetic sound hole pickups don't have the output of after market pickups, because they're not trying to generate distortion with them at the outset. They're designed to maintain a clean signal path.

That said, after you decide which pickup you're going to buy, the Berhinger preamp is only a 25 dollar gamble. Surely this is a lot cheaper than buying an acoustic amp first, and finding out that you could benefit from a preamp anyway.

The whole idea is to bring the signal to as much as the amp input will take, without over driving it.

The alternative to all of this is to buy a true acoustic pickup system with onboard electronics, pay a bunch of money, and drill all those holes you don't want to drill.

Quote by Morello is god
...[ ]...be worth just buying an acoustic amp? Do they generally have preamps built in? I found a cheap Behringer that looks like it might work if it fits those requirements. Behringer AT108 - Acoustic Guitar Amp thanks any help would be appricated
I've been eyeballing this Peavey Ecoustic for some time, it has spring reverb, delay, and a channel for vocals. Look it over: http://www.peavey.com/products/instAmplifiers/specialamps/ecoustic//index.cfm/item/117426/Ecoustic%26reg%3B%26nbsp%3BE208.html It sells for about $180.00

I still think Berhinger's 25 buck preamp would be a good place to start while sorting out your sound.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 22, 2011,
Yeah thats what i ended up doing except i got the electro harmonix booster. Turned out to work great, and if i change my mind Long and McQuade gives me cash back so no loss. Thanks for the help guys!
RIP