1 13%
Yamaha FX370C
0 0%
Epiphone PR-5E
1 13%
Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat
6 75%
Voters: 8.
Well I'm a new player but I've been playing electric for about a year so I thought I could handle an acoustic at a basic level. I've played a Larivee, Cort, Guild, Yamaha and a Martin (never played a Taylor, I've been using friend's guitars and they don't seem to like Taylor) so I was thinking of these few guitars.
Epiphone PR-5E, Cort AD880CE, Yamaha FX370C or Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcats. Which one should I get?
go to a store, play all of them for a while, and then figure out which one you like the most, and is most comfortable for you.

then get that one.
i also suggest you play 'em if at all possible. if it were me who was buying one from the list you give, i'd go with the hellcat, but your preferences may be different.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
All of them are unavailable at the store so I can't really try them out, the thing is that I have to order the guitar....
Then go to a store and play everything they have in your price range and 10-15% over (haggle it down later). Find one that suits you. Those in your list may not be available at that store, but they do have many others. Don't limit yourself. Try as many as you can, you might be surprised at what guitar speaks to you. Happy hunting
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Then go to a store and play everything they have in your price range and 10-15% over (haggle it down later). Find one that suits you.

This.
Buying a guitar by on the basis of a public poll is not a wise course of action, especially since it is going to be your first and have no experiance with them, it's like having a vote on which brand of shoes are going to be the most comfortable for you.

As others have said, try out as many as you can in your price range.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Nov 22, 2011,
Thanks for your help, but out of these 4 which one should I get? I can always return it back to the store and get a different one, say I play all the guitars and I like one but I order one of the 4 and like it more, then I'd probably keep the one I ordered. But say I don't like the one I ordered, I can return it and get a different one.
the tim armstrong is bright, and clear for a lam b&s guitar. it's smaller than a full sized dread, which makes it much more comfortable. while i'm not always a big fan of bright, i did like it a lot. the cort is a full sized dread, and had what seemed to be a slightly metallic twang to me - i don't know a better way to describe it. the yamaha isn't bad at all, to me, it would be my second choice as even though it's all laminate, it's got some bass and is clear for an all lam. the epi would be my last choice.

but your taste may be totally different than mine...
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
the tim armstrong is bright, and clear for a lam b&s guitar. it's smaller than a full sized dread, which makes it much more comfortable. while i'm not always a big fan of bright, i did like it a lot. the cort is a full sized dread, and had what seemed to be a slightly metallic twang to me - i don't know a better way to describe it. the yamaha isn't bad at all, to me, it would be my second choice as even though it's all laminate, it's got some bass and is clear for an all lam. the epi would be my last choice.

but your taste may be totally different than mine...

I don't know a word to describe my taste. Maybe punk? (That makes me a noob doesn't it?) I like the balance and smoothness in "Good Riddance" but I also like that "crunch(or would it be crisp?)" sound. I've played the Yamaha FG401 and I was impressed, Cort Jade 2 had that smooth sound but not as much projection or crunch, Larrivee D-03 from the year 2000 which gave me the smooth sound but not the crunch or the projection (probably was the crack in the side thought) and amplified I like the sound (although it may just be the AWESOME new system) and a Guild GAD-50E which gave me everything (even the acoustic electric feature) but was still not as impressive as the Yamaha FG-401. I was thinking of the Yamaha FX370C and I was hoping it would be as impressive as the FG-401, although I saw a lot of posts saying that they were impressed with the Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcats though. I went on google and there was also good feedback with Cort so I thought I'd try that because I like my friend's Cort Jade 2. The Epiphone, I heard good things about the pickup and I really like that cutaway so I thought I'd also put it on there. I thought I'd just ask this question here so you guys (the experts) could help me out, or give me some advice based on experience.
doesn't make you a noob. i'm ancient and love A7X,hinder, green day sum 41 and shinedown. it's all in what "moves" you. that just means your opinionated and like your music like you... with attidtude. ever consider a D scale guitar? no having to tune down to play your favorites and just have to capo the second fret for the "normal" stuff.
Quote by stepchildusmc
doesn't make you a noob. i'm ancient and love A7X,hinder, green day sum 41 and shinedown. it's all in what "moves" you. that just means your opinionated and like your music like you... with attidtude. ever consider a D scale guitar? no having to tune down to play your favorites and just have to capo the second fret for the "normal" stuff.

yea! Sum 41! \m/d>.<b\m/!! Anyway, yes I have heard of a D scale guitar but I'm not a fan, I also dislike using a capo.
don't knock 'em 'til you try 'em koda. i don't have one...yet.i'm looking for a decent ovation ds768. can't wait to get my hands on one. i'm fortunate enough to own more than one acoustic so i can keep different ones tuned differently.Hinder's "nightmare" sounds amazing in D on acoustic.
Quote by stepchildusmc
don't knock 'em 'til you try 'em koda. i don't have one...yet.i'm looking for a decent ovation ds768. can't wait to get my hands on one. i'm fortunate enough to own more than one acoustic so i can keep different ones tuned differently.Hinder's "nightmare" sounds amazing in D on acoustic.

well after my $500 electric guitar gear, i feel fortunate to get an acoustic at all. well i kinda need an electric acoustic, haven't checked out ovations because i heard people don't like the rounded plastic back
most purists cringe at the thought of ovations. i don't understand everyone thinking they slide off your lap. never had that problem. i'm ex-military so i tend to think that way still. o's are virtually indestructible, have great tone. but anyway, we're getting away from D scales. i do like the idea of only having to capo the 2nd fret to get to E. much easier than having to keep retuning. there are a lot of manufacturers that make D's. just threw a D out there becasue you say you like "noob" music. a lot of stuff today is done in alternate tuning.
Quote by stepchildusmc
most purists cringe at the thought of ovations. i don't understand everyone thinking they slide off your lap. never had that problem. i'm ex-military so i tend to think that way still. o's are virtually indestructible, have great tone. but anyway, we're getting away from D scales. i do like the idea of only having to capo the 2nd fret to get to E. much easier than having to keep retuning. there are a lot of manufacturers that make D's. just threw a D out there becasue you say you like "noob" music. a lot of stuff today is done in alternate tuning.

I just checked the Ovation Elite D-Scale DS778TX Acoustic Electric. I don't like it. Maybe it's the long neck or the capo-ing of the second fret. Actually I don't usually drop tune unless I have to, and that's only with my electric. I don't think I'd get it even if I could afford it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxaBrOu3W7w

that sound is what I'm going for. obviously I'm not gonna get studio quality. Any guitars you've experienced sound like that? (i'm not good at english, I'm not canadian/american). Anyway that sound is what I'm going for. Not sure if it's warm or bright. Which acoustic guitar sounds like it? have you had experiences with the guitar?

Edit: which electric acoustic guitar sounds like this? I know that the (non-electric) Yamaha FG-401 sounds like that but more projected (I love it)
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Nov 26, 2011,
thats going into the realm of ultra expensive taylor koa series guitars. i have that same one. its a taylor K10ce. just a bit out of what your looking to spend. it took me almost 20 yrs of saving to get mine... sort of... long story . on the more affordable end, some of the taks have that warmth your looking for as do yamahas. patti or cranky can help more with what comes closest to that sound, i'm not much more than a beginner... sort of. My samick ASDM by greg bennett comes close to that i think.
Quote by stepchildusmc
thats going into the realm of ultra expensive taylor koa series guitars. i have that same one. its a taylor K10ce. just a bit out of what your looking to spend. it took me almost 20 yrs of saving to get mine... sort of... long story . on the more affordable end, some of the taks have that warmth your looking for as do yamahas. patti or cranky can help more with what comes closest to that sound, i'm not much more than a beginner... sort of. My samick ASDM by greg bennett comes close to that i think.

a bit over what I'm going to spend? haha that's like 10 times what I'm going to spend. i am having financial issues so I can't even get a lp standard. my next (and second last in the next 14 years) electric guitar is going to be an ESP LTD EC-10 which is around $150 and going to the philippines for a RJ lp (around $150). I'm planning on (hopefully) getting that yamaha fg-401 for $100 in the next 2-year period and one of these acoustic electrics. i'm having trouble in choosing over the Yamaha, Cort and the Fender.
wow... 2 years... just throwin' this out there mind ya... but, i think you got a few minutes to decide! you ever come to NY and your welcome to play the taylor.
Quote by stepchildusmc
wow... 2 years... just throwin' this out there mind ya... but, i think you got a few minutes to decide! you ever come to NY and your welcome to play the taylor.

2-year-period. I meant 1 for Christmas and 1 for next Christmas (or my birthday in January), sorry for not being specific. Also thanks for the offer, I'm in Canada though. NY stands for New York right?
Funny how people can have different tastes. I could never buy any other acoustic than a taylor. I have a cheap 114ce that i absolutley love. Give taylor's a chance!
Quote by pdjr1991
Funny how people can have different tastes. I could never buy any other acoustic than a taylor. I have a cheap 114ce that i absolutley love. Give taylor's a chance!

I heard rumours about taylors how they're not consistent in their quality. I looked at the 114ce and that's WAY out of my price range. I couldn't even afford a Big Baby. right now i'm looking at the Washburn WD10/20CE, Yamaha FX370C and the Cort AD880ce