NO, you're not allowed. If you try to use this progression the police will arrest you for criminal use of chords.
In all seriousness, there's no 'right' and 'wrong', just what sounds good to you and what doesn't
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
you're in trouble dude... music police is gonna come and arrest you! run for your life!
lol

Hey man, as long as it sound how you'd like it to sound, go right ahead.

Btw, I'm at work so I can't hear it, mind naming out the chords so I can know what this is about?
As long as you don't use that as the actual title, I don't see why not.
I am the meek.

And I shall inherit the earth.
There is no "wrong" or "right" in making chord progressions. Just do what sounds good to you. Imho this chord progression is nothing special but at the same time it doesn't sound bad. The only thing that sounds a bit strange is bar 11(Amaj)-12(Bbmaj7), but still you can do whatever you want.

Edit @mrkeka: Fmaj7, Bbmaj7, Fmaj7, Bbmaj7, Fmaj7, Bbmaj7, Fmaj7, Bbmaj7, Gm, Em7b5, Bbmaj7, Bbm, F
Last edited by Fozzaken at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by mrkeka
you're in trouble dude... music police is gonna come and arrest you! run for your life!
lol

Hey man, as long as it sound how you'd like it to sound, go right ahead.

Btw, I'm at work so I can't hear it, mind naming out the chords so I can know what this is about?

Chords are Fmaj7 - Bbmaj7 - G minor - a chord that is 7878 (from 5th string to 2nd string) - A major - Bbmaj7 - Bb minor - F major
Last edited by WhenStarsDie at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by Fozzaken
There is no "wrong" or "right" in making chord progressions. Just do what sounds good to you. Imho this chord progression is nothing special but at the same time it doesn't sound bad. The only thing that sounds a bit strange is bar 11(Amaj)-12(Bbmaj7), but still you can do whatever you want.

Hmm , so can a chord proggression become that "special" ? I mean there are lot of epic songs with simple chord proggresion. Thanks

Btw , it seems that youre a DT fan, Im not a big fan of DT but I love Pink floyd, so, do you know what chord proggressions are good for that genre? Proggressive rock ?
Last edited by WhenStarsDie at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by WhenStarsDie
a chord that is 7878

I can't hear the song unfortunately, but in the contet of the progression up to this point, that functions as a rootless C9.

It sounds nice, too nice for the title...

Yes, I - IV - ii - Vb in F Major. I 'd like to be able to hear it for those other chords though.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by WhenStarsDie
Hmm , so can a chord proggression become that "special" ? I mean there are lot of epic songs with simple chord proggresion. Thanks

I think special was not the right word in my post...

I was just expecting some weird progression with a lot of chromatism but this progression is mostly diatonic so there's not much that you could do wrong with resolving and stuff.
And I never said that songs with simple chord progressions couldn't be epic. The chord progression is not the only thing that defines the music.

And to your edit: Of course I cannot possibly know which kinds of progressions fit to a genre since there are no rules. Not every pop-punk song must have the I-V-vi-IV progression and not every prog song must have weird and crazy progressions.
Quote by Fozzaken
I think special was not the right word in my post...

I was just expecting some weird progression with a lot of chromatism but this progression is mostly diatonic so there's not much that you could do wrong with resolving and stuff.
And I never said that songs with simple chord progressions couldn't be epic. The chord progression is not the only thing that defines the music.

And to your edit: Of course I cannot possibly know which kinds of progressions fit to a genre since there are no rules. Not every pop-punk song must have the I-V-vi-IV progression and not every prog song must have weird and crazy progressions.

So do you think i can use this progression for a prog rock song? like for example just a part of the song ? And yeah is mostly diatonic except for the A major and Bb minor I think.

Any tips for improving this? thanks
Quote by WhenStarsDie
So do you think i can use this progression for a prog rock song? like for example just a part of the song ?

As previously stated, music has no rules. You are free to do anything you like.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by WhenStarsDie

Btw , it seems that youre a DT fan, Im not a big fan of DT but I love Pink floyd, so, do you know what chord proggressions are good for that genre? Proggressive rock ?

Pink Floyd - OOOH yeah!!!!

They use all sorts of progressions.

Some are very very simple progressions using just the I IV and V chords (goodbye cruel world) or they throw a vi chord in as well (Wish You Were Here), A simple progression in a minor key is Another Brick in the Wall which uses i IV V bVII chords. The chords for Mother or Comfortably Numb are very simple.

Even some of the more dreamy sounding songs use some simple chords - Julia Dream is some straight forward chords.

Some of their songs are more "exotic" utilize chromatic root movement, strong rhythmic patterns, and modal improvisation. (Interstellar Overdrive). They are all Major chords for the main riff so nothing really fancy but what a mind blowing song.

Others still use some extended or altered chords such as "Don't Leave Me Now" or "Nobody Home" (the Wall) in which you might find augmented chords, m7b5, 11th chords among others.

I think it's a mistake to think you need to use complex chord progressions to make interesting and creative songs.

Learn some of the songs that you really like and think about what they are doing that makes the song interesting. Then try to play around with the concepts you identify to create something new and unique.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Nov 23, 2011,