hello folks,

i found a pretty nice guitar body from a friend and he luckily didnt want it
so i wanted to start building my first guitar on my own

a few first questions from a newbie (so pls dont flame )

is it reasonable to take off the lacquer? ( i actually like the heavy natural relic, the colour is blurred naturally at many parts, but there are also some scratches and you can see the pickup holes are damaged)

and do i have to put clear coat on it, or in general have to renew the lacquer anyway?? im kinda confused

and because i have to buy nearly everything (neck, tremolo bridge etc..), could you recommend me good quality guitar parts? thx in advance here

i guess there are still many things (and maybe questions and answers) open, but as i said i have no knowledge, but i would love to achieve some knowledge, because i like to craft things on my own
Attachments:
8001114201140002471.jpg
Last edited by c0rn1x at Nov 22, 2011,
cool thx for the weblinks

but now for example how do i know what neck passes best to this guitar body?
Looks like an Ibanez body. You'll probably want to look at Floyd compatible necks, at least if you want a Floyd on it. It was most likely a 24 fret neck with a 25.5" scale length.

Also keep in mind that it has an AANJ, all access neck joint so you need to be careful choosing a neck that fits it correctly. You might want to hit Ebay and find a used Ibanez neck from a 500 series or higher.
Last edited by poppameth at Nov 22, 2011,
yea i actually prefer a floyd rose bridge..

Quote by poppameth
Also keep in mind that it has an AANJ, all access neck joint so you need to be careful choosing a neck that fits it correctly. You might want to hit Ebay and find a used Ibanez neck from a 500 series or higher.

does it make a difference of which ibanez neck i take? how do i recognize if its a floyd compatible neck??

thx a lot.. anyways!
The great majority of RG style necks are Floyd compatible. If it's a used Ibanez neck just look for a locking nut on it or a cutout for a locking nut. They are much larger cutouts than a standard nut would be.

Take a look at this one:
Super Wizard Neck

It's not a bad price considering it comes with all the hardware. My only concern would be that it has some stress cracks around the locking nut mounting screws, which is common on the ones that mount from the back.
omg thanks dude!

i was desperately searchin for ibanez necks.. didnt find anything on ebay, not even floyd rose compatible ones on warmoth etc.. but maybe im just stupid-.-

im from germany btw. i guess shipping from usa costs me a fortune.. sigh
It looks like $42 to ship to Germany. That one is offered for international shipping. Look at the shipping options.
yea i checked it.

what about pickups? i would love to have a cool metal sound
Whatever you pick, make sure they are F-spaced. They'll fit the guitar better. Dimarzio makes the OEM pups for Ibanez and their full product line tends to have good matchups for Ibanez guitars. You could look at Super Distortion for the 80s/90s metal sound or maybe Deactivators or X2N for a more modern metal sound.
Quote by Pac_man0123
That didn't have a floyd, it had a wilkinson-esque, two-point trem. You could fill the cavity and place a fixed bridge on it.

That is correct. I should have looked closer at that. A Gotoh / Wilkinson would also fit it with minimal modification. I just retrofitted an old RX170 with one. That makes me wonder on the scale length, but I'm pretty sure all RG series guitars have 25.5" scales. The one I have with a Wilkinson is a 22 fret but it's still 25.5" scale. If you want to take a look at how I did that project go to http://gideond.wordpress.com

Can you tell what the body is made of? Solid wood or plywood?
so now after you discussion, i guess the guitar body needs now at least a:

25.5" scale neck with 22 or 24 frets and a two-point tremolo

is now placing a two-point trem better than a floyd rose? (for the first guitar i dont mind having less work so i dont make so much things wrong)

to your question about solid wood or plywood.. how do i recognize?? sry im a newbie and i dont want to make wrong statements

Quote by poppameth
If you want to take a look at how I did that project go to http://gideond.wordpress.com

will have a look at your project, thx
Last edited by c0rn1x at Nov 23, 2011,
looks like a two point trem, hsh setup, pickguard...looks like an ibanez. do you know the serial number or the brand at all? go check with you friend
If it's an RG it's probably not plywood. It's probably Basswood. You'd see the layers showing if it were plywood. I personally like the Wilkinson style trems better than Floyds but it all depends on playing style. Floyds are better for a lot of dive bombing and pulling back on the tremolo. The Wilkinson doesn't have much room for pull ups, only dives. You could still put a Floyd on it, but you may have to fill the post holes and redrill new ones if they don't space correctly for a Floyd style bridge. You'll also have to route out a recess on the top for the bridge. Floyds have a recess below them for more room to pull up. On the same blog, look at the RG470 project. That one shows what you'd be going through to put a Floyd style Gotoh trem in.
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
looks like a two point trem, hsh setup, pickguard...looks like an ibanez. do you know the serial number or the brand at all? go check with you friend

Based on the neck pocket, I'd say it's definitely an Ibanez. The serials for them are usually on the head stock unfortunately.
Quote by poppameth
Based on the neck pocket, I'd say it's definitely an Ibanez. The serials for them are usually on the head stock unfortunately.

yeah that sucks...but all he has to do is measure everything and go to warmoth and order him a custom neck to his standards. worry about the electronics later
Quote by cheseagrinwh0re
yeah that sucks...but all he has to do is measure everything and go to warmoth and order him a custom neck to his standards. worry about the electronics later

ok , can you tell me what i have to measure?

and i guess you can forgot that floyd rose, seems like too much work.. i prefer it easier at first.. maybe when i have more experience etc..

edit: and my friend isnt really into guitar and all that stuff. he doesnt know anything about it, i guess i have to ask him where he got that
Last edited by c0rn1x at Nov 24, 2011,
It's hard to measure without having a bridge on. You have to kind of guess at where the saddles would line up. Regardless, take a look at these pages.

http://www.ibanez-rg-review.com/ibanez-necks.php

http://www.ibanez-rg-review.com/ibanez-necks-part-2.php

Some good info on Ibanez necks. The chart in the second link shows all listed RGs as having the same scale length of 25.5"

Also, it's hard to see in that photo, but I would say it had a 24 fret neck originally. Look how close together the pickups are and see how the neck pocket basically runs right into the neck pickup route. This indicated that the neck was run further into the guitar than a standard 22 fret Strat neck would go, meaning they were squeezing the extra 2 frets on it.
Last edited by poppameth at Nov 24, 2011,
Quote by poppameth

Also, it's hard to see in that photo, but I would say it had a 24 fret neck originally. Look how close together the pickups are and see how the neck pocket basically runs right into the neck pickup route. This indicated that the neck was run further into the guitar than a standard 22 fret Strat neck would go, meaning they were squeezing the extra 2 frets on it.

ok i made now some more detailed pictures and with a ruler next to it

edit:

i first want to repaint the body.. can someone tell me what i have to buy?

grit 60 and 120 (members on forum said when only repainting the body, 120 will do it)
of course the colour.. thinkin about candy apple red, my fav colour
primer (same here and if needed.. i guess i have to first check colour, but which one )
sealer (what kind and which brand, im absolutely clueless, and i would hate myself if i buy a wrong one! )
Attachments:
IMG_6366.JPG
IMG_6367.JPG
IMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6370.JPG
Last edited by c0rn1x at Nov 25, 2011,
That looks fine to me. It has the AANJ style heel and is the correct scale. Reverse headstock is a matter of preference. The only thing you might want to consider is that it is fitted with a standard nut not a Floyd nut. That will work fine with the kind of trem we have been discussing though. If you end up going with a Floyd trem you'll have to cut the slot out larger to accommodate the locking nut.

Also I'm not sure what country of origin the neck is from. The Japanese necks are the best ones. Koreans are decent and the rest are from the really low budget models. They don't show the back of the headstock so there is no way to tell without asking and you obviously don't have time for that.
Last edited by poppameth at Nov 28, 2011,
i just asked him. it was made in indonesia.. but still the price is fairly low
True. For that price it may still be worth a shot. The Indonesian model probably has a higher chance of needing some fret work done to it. All my Korean models have needed the frets leveled. The better Japanese models often come with a pretty good fret job from the factory.
ok typical for ebay.. last minute someone shot up the price, didnt get it.. i guess i still have many chances to get one..

so i maybe first start tuning up the body, because ibanez necks are rarely found on ebay (not counting overseas, only germany)