Well, since I cannot have a medical advice thread I figured this one would be okay (inspired by the science/math topic)

Go ahead and post questions related to the topic, whether for homework or just because you want to know and I'll do my best to answer.

Please remember that nothing of what I say (directly or indirectly) is nor can be considered medical advice.
If only you'd made this thread 2 days ago, I had a final yesterday

I'll be back.
cat
i have a feeling this thread will be one of the least popular school help threads

of course, my feeling has been wrong before

like when i figured the blue pills must be aspirin
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by guitarxo
If only you'd made this thread 2 days ago, I had a final yesterday

I'll be back.

I got one of those in three weeks.

Quote by Drakathan
i have a feeling this thread will be one of the least popular school help threads

of course, my feeling has been wrong before

like when i figured the blue pills must be aspirin

Perhaps so but I've seen a lot of people who want to know this stuff just for the hell of it. And, they're more like college-level subjects either way.
What tendons are located near/would refer pain to the elbow?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Lord Kamina
I got one of those in three weeks.

Perhaps so but I've seen a lot of people who want to know this stuff just for the hell of it. And, they're more like college-level subjects either way.

college=school
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Would an occlusive dressing be used for anything other than a sucking chest wound?
I've got an apparently almost irreversible jaw condition: on the right side of my fae, my bottom jaw goes over my front jaw, and on the left side it's normal.

Apart from causing pain when I eat sometimes, I'm sure that it's making my face a bit crooked, hard to explain how.

Is this just something I see, or is it possible?

And, is it as visible to others as it is to me, and is there anyway I can stop it? Like exercises and stuff to make my face more symemtrical?
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by add_g
Would an occlusive dressing be used for anything other than a sucking chest wound?

Possibly cover a gaping wound in the abdomen with no intestine protrusion? Not sure. Why do you ask?
Quote by Drakathan
college=school

In here college = university.

Quote by Dreadnought
What tendons are located near/would refer pain to the elbow?

For elbow pain, the two most classic pain syndromes are the Golfer's elbow (medial epicondylitis) and Tennis' elbow or lateral epicondylitis. In both it's usually not really the tendons themselves that are inflamed but the point of the humerus where they insert at.

In both cases, it's caused by overuse of wrist musculature, in the case of the Tennis elbow, it's due to overusing extensor muscles (located mostly on lateral and posterior sides of the arm, think of extending to hit a tennis ball) and the Golfer's elbow is produced by overuse of the flexor muscles, located mostly on the anterior and medial sides.

Additionally

Injury to the extensor carpi radialis brevis muscle (ECRB) (felt at tip of lateral epicondyle) and occasionally the extensor digitorum communis muscle (EDC) (felt just posterior and distal to tip of lateral epicondyle) constitutes lateral epicondylitis. Injury to the pronator teres and flexor carpi radialis muscles, which originate at the medial epicondyle, causes medial epicondylitis.

Finally, pain in that region may be caused by entrapment of different nerves supplying the hand itself, the Ulnar or Cubital nerve being the most common. (Supplying principally the pinky, ring fingers and inter-osseus muscles)
These syndromes are usually accompanied by other symptoms beside the pain like paresthesias (tingling) or sensory/motor deficit.
Last edited by Lord Kamina at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by Krieger91
I've got an apparently almost irreversible jaw condition: on the right side of my fae, my bottom jaw goes over my front jaw, and on the left side it's normal.

Apart from causing pain when I eat sometimes, I'm sure that it's making my face a bit crooked, hard to explain how.

Is this just something I see, or is it possible?

And, is it as visible to others as it is to me, and is there anyway I can stop it? Like exercises and stuff to make my face more symemtrical?

This is WAAAAAY out of my area of knowledge (you should ask a dentist) but a sort-of informed guess would lead me to think you might have either some kind of bruxism (teeth-grinding during sleep) or maybe it's some actual deformity in the facial bones which might be corrected with braces or surgery.

I've heard that chewing gum can strengthen the muscles in the jaw and temporomandibular articulation but I have no clue whether it'd actually help your case.
Quote by add_g

Quote by Dreadnought
Possibly cover a gaping wound in the abdomen with no intestine protrusion? Not sure. Why do you ask?

This, but I believe they can be used to cover wounds with protrusion too (or at least a modified version of the classical occlusive dressings.

I also think that a modified version of them might be used to cover burn superficial burns.
Quote by add_g
okay, thanks

Also, some kinds of pressure ulcers without exudate. Basically, just about any wound where keeping a moist environment is beneficial.
Depends on what type of occlusive dressing you're talking about. HALO dressings you would not use to cover protruded organs or superficial burns as they are 100% adhesive
Quote by Lord Kamina
In here college = university.

lol college is merely a form of school

school means that you go to classes and learn stuff

but whatever, we'll drop it
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Quote by add_g

Yup, everyone pretty much summed it up in here. In then field, we slap one on any open injury to the thoracic cavity just in case. I happen to be learning needle decompression soon so I'ma feel like a baws.
And by the way, AED pads work very well as an occlusive dressing, just remember to cut the cord and write on it that it is one.
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
Last edited by DangerPat 00 at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by Lord Kamina
This is WAAAAAY out of my area of knowledge (you should ask a dentist) but a sort-of informed guess would lead me to think you might have either some kind of bruxism (teeth-grinding during sleep) or maybe it's some actual deformity in the facial bones which might be corrected with braces or surgery.

I've heard that chewing gum can strengthen the muscles in the jaw and temporomandibular articulation but I have no clue whether it'd actually help your case.

Ok thanks..

Basically, what caused (from what I've understood) is this:

When I was a kid, one of my front teeth started growing backwards, and at the time no one in my family had the money for braces, so there was nothing to be done.

In time, that tooth, every time I've been closing my mouth, has been pushing my jaw slowly sideways, thus causing the crooked jaw.

So there you have it, I've basically received it up the ass.

Now the dentist said I'm too old to be able to do much 'cause of bones not being as flexible as they were when I was 11.

I was just wondering if that could cause the face to be slightly crooked on one side, you know, just another side effect..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Could be but I can't say for sure.

You might want to consult another dentist (maybe a maxilofacial surgeon) because I really think something like that can be corrected with a few years of braces followed by surgery (supposing it's annoying enough that you'd go through that, obviously)

I mean, you're still pretty young.
Quote by DangerPat 00
Yup, everyone pretty much summed it up in here. In then field, we slap one on any open injury to the thoracic cavity just in case. I happen to be learning needle decompression soon so I'ma feel like a baws.
And by the way, AED pads work very well as an occlusive dressing, just remember to cut the cord and write on it that it is one.

Needle-D isn't too exciting lol

By your mentioning of AED and also your mentioning of learning needle decompression soon, my guess is that your in an EMT course higher than Basic?
What happens if I eat too much vitamin C?
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Reported are fake-positive stool guaiac tests; abdominal bloating and diarrhea and in some reports increased risk of calcium oxalate lithiasis; this one is contested as it seems at certain doses it increases the risk and at other doses it decreases it.
I'm a second year biochemistry major at UBC Okanagan, hoping to get into UBC Vancouver next year for the BSc Pharmacy program. Methinks this thread will be helpful. Stickied.
Quote by Dreadnought
Needle-D isn't too exciting lol

By your mentioning of AED and also your mentioning of learning needle decompression soon, my guess is that your in an EMT course higher than Basic?

Yup, going for my EMT-P. We get excited around here for anything slightly invasive, NYC's got incredibly strict protocols (No more cric's of any kind ) so sorry for the over zealous attitude about it all
I'm learning on a national level so the skills are there, they just can't be performed in the NYC field by most medics.
I'm pretty sure you're in the army, correct me if I'm wrong, but what's the level of training you have from them? I hear some of the medics there can do plenty, some of which I'm told us civilian medics could only dream to have/do.
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
I'd figure that's the case; from what I know it's the Americans and Israelis (and particularly their armies) that are responsible for the development of the most emergency and trauma protocols.
Do you think there will ever be a 'cure' for noise induced tinnitus? (I'm aware it's just a symptom)
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I don't think you can have a cure for tinnitus, I'm sure we're just a few decades (maybe less) from a cure to deafness, though. There's already amazing advance with cochlear implants and whatnot.

You know what helps, though? Earplugs; seriously. Wear them at concerts; wear them if you're playing loud.

I got an awful tinnitus after seeing Motörhead in the front rows back in April (I'm somewhere around in the new live DVD they're releasing, in fact)

After that, I had to see Maiden the following day and I decided to wear plugs to the concert. At first I thought I'd have to answer to a lot of smart-ass comments. I was pleased to reach the third row and see Bruce wearing bright orange earplugs.
Quote by DangerPat 00
Yup, going for my EMT-P. We get excited around here for anything slightly invasive, NYC's got incredibly strict protocols (No more cric's of any kind ) so sorry for the over zealous attitude about it all
I'm learning on a national level so the skills are there, they just can't be performed in the NYC field by most medics.
I'm pretty sure you're in the army, correct me if I'm wrong, but what's the level of training you have from them? I hear some of the medics there can do plenty, some of which I'm told us civilian medics could only dream to have/do.

Well I'm not a medic (EMT-B with other medical training, ie TCCC). And yeah, some can do plenty. It depends on the unit you go to and your subsequent training. Our medic's are super ****ing good, as well as most of the medics in the other special operations units.
I saw anatomy questions and help in the title, and thought this would be something like:

"Yo my left arm is shorter than my right arm is this normal!!!!1!11???"

Ashley
A 35 year old man is experiencing abnormal jaw growth in addition to growing hands. You think you know what the problem is, but you want to be sure. What do you believe the problem is and how do you go about checking your diagnosis?

No using internet as a cheat sheet.

Also, would you rather your daughter take rotenone or antimycin A and why (in detail)?
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Last edited by CrunchyRoll at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by CrunchyRoll
A 35 year old man is experiencing abnormal jaw growth in addition to growing hands. You think you know what the problem is, but you want to be sure. What do you believe the problem is and how do you go about checking your diagnosis?

No using internet as a cheat sheet.

Also, would you rather your daughter take rotenone or antimycin A and why (in detail)?

I imagine it is due to a HGH imbalance for the top one.

as for the second question: no idea...
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----