Has anyone ever experienced this before? A Fender strat with some metal pick ups in the bridge?

I was contemplating getting a fender strat and poppin some X2ns in the bridge. Nice stratocaster sound on the neck and middle pickup but flip it to the bridge when i wanted to get my metal fail on.

Anyone done this before and wanna enlighten me?
It's pretty much the most common mod in the world. In fact it's barely even a mod any more, loads of Fenders have come with high output pickups right out the factory. Iron Maiden rely on it.

There's really not much to say because damn near everyone has done it at some point. If you've ever listened to more than two metal albums then chances are you've heard a Fender Strat with a Super Distortion or a Duncan Custom or an EMG thrown in it. When you look at most super Strats they follow the same build as a regular Strat, just with the sorts of pickups in them.
Couldn't you just get a fender start with a floyd rose....which has all of that
All you need to do is just change the bridge pickup
No need to deal changing a single coil to hum bucker pickup
Quote by Highelf04
Couldn't you just get a fender start with a floyd rose....which has all of that
All you need to do is just change the bridge pickup
No need to deal changing a single coil to hum bucker pickup

I have a guitar with a floyd rose floating bridge and its a real pain in my arse, so i kinda wanna steer away from the floating bridge for my next guitar. Also, some strats are able to fit a humbucker in the bridge arent they?
Quote by Dead Sea
I have a guitar with a floyd rose floating bridge and its a real pain in my arse, so i kinda wanna steer away from the floating bridge for my next guitar. Also, some strats are able to fit a humbucker in the bridge arent they?

Yes. Some come with a humbucker in the bridge already, but nearly every strat is routed so that it can take HSH pickups. Some of the cheaper ones have the "swimming pool" route which can take any pickup config you can think of; you just need the right pickguard.

As grohl1987 said, it's incredibly common to install high output humbuckers in a strat. Heck, that was basically the entire original purpose of Charvel - hot rodding their customers' strats.