Hi,

I was just wondering whether the exh big muff/nano muff/double muff is considered fuzz or distortion.

Maybe you could tell me?
Quote by phoenix_crush
Fuzz is a type of distortion. This is like asking if something is an apple or a fruit.

I meant is it considered a fuzz type of distortion or amp style/maybe boss DS-1
Big Muff is mostly a fuzz. It's just another type of distortion. Really depends what you're playing. Could be perfect for what you want, could be a terrible match.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
The Big Muff and Nano Muff are fuzzes. The Double Muff, on the other hand, is designed as a hybrid fuzz/overdrive depending on how you set it. "Muff" usually means fuzz (like, Smashing Pumpkins fuzz), but not all things with "Muff" on them are fuzzes. (The English Muff'n, for example, is a Marshall-in-a-box style preamp.)
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Muffs are actually very interesting. The "Pi" designation in the name refers to the the clipping circuit itself. There is a capacitor in that circuit along with the two back to back diodes (making it look like a pi symbol on the schematic). Diodes on their own cause clipping with a sharp knee, ie. fuzz. With the capacitor in there it smooths out the knee (because it takes time for a cap to charge and discharge) making it smoother and therefore more like how a valve clips. So it is a fuzz but it's not as harsh because the sharp knee is smoothed out by the capacitor. So you could think of it as a smooth fuzz.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification