Page 1 of 2
I'm after a new workhorse. In the last few years, I've had a JCM900, Cornford Hellcat combo, Hiwatt Studio Stage MKII and currently a 1978 Boogie Mark IIA.

I want something that can cover all bases, as I do a lot of covers work and deps. Size/weight isn't too much of an issue. I'd rather go second hand to get the most for my money.

Considerations: Marshall 6100 (I've played one with 6l6's and liked it very much, although they're quite hard to come by).
Orange Rockerverb - I really would prefer a MKII with the separate EQ's, but they're a lot of money.

I'm after a 100 watter. Had issues with headroom before - especially on el34 type amps.
I like a hot blues rock/classic rock tone, but my amp must be able to cover everything, and have a normal (non +4) fx loop.

I played a DSL earlier, which was alright.

Budget of £1200 includes a cab, although I am likely to purchase both head and cab second hand.

My main guitars are a PRS DGT, and a Musicman Luke.

Thanks.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Would consider a Lonestar too, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered with another heavy combo.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

i haven't tried them, but splawns spring to mind. might be too dear, though.

your budget's kind of inbetween the mid-range and higher end stuff, and as such, i'm really struggling to think of things...

koch multitone, maybe?

EDIT: bogner shiva?

EDIT #2: or you could even get a martamp orion or something like that, he'll voice it how you want. i haven't tried it, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 22, 2011,
Dave you beauty! I haven't been on here in ages and you're the first to reply.
Played a Multitone actually. Not quite my thing. Shiva looks amazing, but almost surely out of my price range. Will check out the Martamp.

Cheers fella!
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Check out Matamp as well while your at it. They do some great work.

Maybe Weinbrock amps too? Nice stuff but it's pricey so you'd have to see how you feel about them.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Matamp don't seem to have a dual channel 100 watter. I tried a Weinbrock at a jam last week actually. Was pretty nice. reminded me of the Hiwatt I used to have.

To be honest, I'd like something that I can pick up second hand in the UK. Going to sell the Boogie to fund it, and probably the Luke (which I acquired from one of the LickLibrary contributors, so will hopefully fetch a good price!)
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
Dave you beauty! I haven't been on here in ages and you're the first to reply.
Played a Multitone actually. Not quite my thing. Shiva looks amazing, but almost surely out of my price range. Will check out the Martamp.

Cheers fella!

yeah it probably would be over budget... i actually wasn't blown away by the shiva (i preferred teh ecstacy, but then it's even dearer again ), but it'd probably do what you want.

no worries about the koch, i mean any amp is liable to be liked or not mainly based on personal preference

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I own a 2 channel 100W Matamp, so they could probably sort you out with something if you give them a call. Not sure if they will or how much it'll cost you. But it'd be super worth it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

You OBVIOUSLY need a Marshall MG100H and 20 MG 4x12 cabs...

You will look BAD. ASS...

Or, on a more serious note, you checked out Laney VH100 or the Ironheart?

Not three bad amps at all
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Last edited by MickAlmighty at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by MickAlmighty

Or, on a more serious note, you checked out Laney VS100 or the Ironheart?

Not three bad amps at all

You mean VH100R?

How about:

Hughes and Kettner Coreblade
ENGL Blackmore
Orange Rockerverb 100H MK II
EVH 5150 III
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
y'know... thats EXACTLY what i meant

think i got abit into the dodgey 'Marshall' mindset
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
The Engl and the Rockerverb are likely to be out of my price range... and even a Blackmore seems to be voiced a bit modern for me.
The clips of the Shiva sound really fat, but maybe it won't cut it live? (like a JVM!) haha.
I'll have a look at a VH100 and Ironheart.

Maybe a dsl50 head running stereo with another head? Stereo madness!
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Or...Or...or....you can buy my Mesa F30 and then have enough money left over to buy a cab to run off it aswell

On a side note - where are you playing where 100 tube watts isn't loud enough?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
SLO clone looks quite nice... hard to test out and questionable resale value though.

Very tempted with a 6100 head, but I'd have to wait for one to come up on ebay.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
SLO clone looks quite nice... hard to test out and questionable resale value though.

Very tempted with a 6100 head, but I'd have to wait for one to come up on ebay.

What about the EVH? Seems like it would do everything you asked for and more.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm not so sure a EVH 5153 or Splawn or Mesa are going to be good values in Essex

Also, the SLOs, Marshalls, Oranges, H&K, Laney, are kind of all over the board a bit.

Let's take a step back. You say you need an amp that can cover everything. Really?

So you play jazz, country, surf rock, bluegrass, blues, hot blues, classic rock, punk, prog, heavy metal, hair metal, doom/ sludge/stoner rock, shoegaze, alternative, hardcore, death metal, black metal, metalcore, mathcore, technical death metal, and jazzcore?
Not entirely everything. But I do a lot of covers and deps. I need a good clean, a warm country/americana sound. A good classic rock sound. A great lead tone etc.

I tried some amps out today:
H&K Switchblade - lots of features, but uninspiring sound. Lead channel does feed back nicely though.

Rockerverb 100 - played one before, and it delivers the goods. Very good amp.

DSL 100/50 - Solid amps. Big sound, but shared eq. Good, but nothing special.

EVH 5150 III - Wish I hadn't tried it. Amazing, amazing amp. The first channel will do warm and sparkly cleans, through to a lovely classic crunch. Channel 2 is a great hard rock crunch. Channel 3 is a fat slightly compressed PERFECT lead sound. The matching cab is great, and they look gorgeous in ivory. Seriously considering selling my Musicman Luke as well as my Boogie Mark 2 and taking the plunge. Can't emphasize how great this amp is. Boggles the mind why people spend the same or more on a Mark 5 which has none of the character.
Just wow.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

If you're looking at 5150's, you might want to look at 3120's, i'm selling one atm (shameless plug i know), but if you're looking for something a bit marshally and still like 5150's it might be worth a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epu50XwI80c
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
To be honest mate, I've played the Peavey 5150's, and they're not my cup of tea. This has much more of an old school voicing. At heart, I'm an old fart and don't want an aggressively voiced amp.

But cheers anyway :Cheers:
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Any more input? I'm seriously considering the 5150 III.... just a lot of money.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

never tried one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You need to save up more. You wont get anything useful in that price range.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
A 5150 head and matching cab will run me near enough £2k.....

Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

I went out today and came back with something...
It's big, it's loud, it killed the Bogner Shiva and ecstasy I played... and it has 3 channels.

So happy.

Cheers guys
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Laney VH100R
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ fail

what did you get?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh, he bought a Bogner? Fair enough. I was trying to rec an amp that was very versatile and aimed more towards what genres he initially said he wanted most.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
nah he didn't say what he got (unless he's made a NAD thread that i haven't come to yet).

I agree, the vh100r is great (though with £1200 you could possibly do better- the laney prices have shot up recently ), just it was funny that you recommended something after he'd already bought something
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's getting late. I missed that he'd got something already.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
haha no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
5150 Mk III
with the matching cab.
****ing amazing!!
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll try and get some pics later. It sounds amazing with my DGT. It has a lot of gain on tap, but it's voiced pretty warm. I don't use it for anything brutal at all. Only dilemma is whether to use channel 3 for leads, or use channel 2 with my Creamtone in front. I expect either will be totally tits anyway!
Can't wait to take it out at the weekend
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Hey guys i´m new here, i´m Portuguese so i think my English is a shit! So lets whats really important, I have a Hughes and Kettner head amp and i what wanna know if i can plug any amp in this head! Thank guys!
^ don't plug anything into anything until you get better answers than i can give.

your best bet is to make a new thread, you'll get better answers there than posting in an existing thread.

fwiw, your english seems pretty good to me
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No no, i dont plug anything yet until i get some answers
Im gonna get some sleep, so tomorrow i´ll put right ref. of the amp and maybe somebody gave e some answers. By the way thanks anyway!
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
2 channel 100 watt head??

you could buy my 2 channel Recto off me for £1000

other than that i'm pretty sure you could find a Stiletto Deuce for around the £1200 mark, everything else that i can think of has already been suggested. The ENGL Blackmore is not THAT modern sounding IMO

EDIT: just read a post i skipped near the end, 5153 is VERY nice hope youre enjoying it
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Dec 1, 2011,
Page 1 of 2