What are the biggest differences which justify the huge leap in terms of price between the two?
Literally everything. Wood. Hardware. Electronics. Build quality, fitting, finishing, quality control, the sheer time spent on them, how much is done by machine vs hand made. And so on.
The difference, in a phrase, is that the person making your Custom Shop guitar probably gave a shit about how it turned out.
Get a mid 90's USA deluxe Roadhouse/Lonestar. I've played several and they crap on the newer models. Better quality wood available then as well. I've played several custom shop strats and a few have been dogs.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
Get a mid 90's USA deluxe Roadhouse/Lonestar. I've played several and they crap on the newer models. Better quality wood available then as well. I've played several custom shop strats and a few have been dogs.
That's most likely because the current Roadhouse and Lonestar guitars are MIM though, which is a whole other level. You've got your custom shops, then your MIAs, then MIJ, MIK and MIM are kind of on-par, the new MICs are unknown at this point and then you've got your Squiers which vary wildly between firewood trash to about MIM level.
I mean they crap on the newer USA standards and Deluxe models. I had a Roadhouse, and it was every bit as good as my PRS DGT, although wildly different.
I got offered a custom shop strat for quite a good price, but it was garbage. Warped neck, dead spots on the neck even after extensive setting up. The standard is higher on the custom shop stuff, but they still vary a lot.

I haven't even played the newer Roadhouse/Lonestar models, and nor would I want to.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

A semi pro friend of mine also has a Lonestar that he's had for 15 years, and I would take it over anything the custom shop are putting out. Brilliant guitars.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

I doubt you have played any real CS guitars then, the proper CS ones are awesome.

Fender CS - Made in America by Americans who really care.
Fender MIA - Made in America by Mexicans who arent so bothered.
Fender MIM - Made in Mexico by Mexicans who dont care.

Take your pick.

2nd hand CS go for sensible prices in the states.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I doubt you have played any real CS guitars then, the proper CS ones are awesome.

Fender CS - Made in America by Americans who really care.
Fender MIA - Made in America by Mexicans who arent so bothered.

Take your pick.

2nd hand CS go for sensible prices in the states.

I'm sorry, but what the **** do you know?
I've played 2 heavy relic custom shop strats with bridge humbuckers, 1 masterbuilt and a few SSS models.

Both the heavy relics were pretty good, but not worth the money in my opinion. Nothing on a Suhr classic.

On paper, you're right, but there were some real gems made around '95 - '98. I've played 4 deluxe strats from that time which were superb.

So when you know what the **** you're talking about, come back.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Well. You basically just called me a liar.
I've had some pretty serious kit myself, and don't like to base advice off of repeating a common assumption.

I've had: 1 Custom Suhr Modern, 1 Musicman Luke Limited Edition, 1 standard Musicman Luke, PRS DGT, 1997 Roadhouse Deluxe, Boogie Mark 2, Jcm900, Cornford Hellcat combo, Hiwatt Custom Studio Stage head and cab, Orange Tiny Terror combo.

So the fact that I'm not massively excited about a CS strat is understandable. Some are very good indeed, but even then a lot of money for what they are.

Some are dogs.

I'm not a rude guy, but you called me a liar, and I take offense to that.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
Well. You basically just called me a liar.
I've had some pretty serious kit myself, and don't like to base advice off of repeating a common assumption.

I've had: 1 Custom Suhr Modern, 1 Musicman Luke Limited Edition, 1 standard Musicman Luke, PRS DGT, 1997 Roadhouse Deluxe, Boogie Mark 2, Jcm900, Cornford Hellcat combo, Hiwatt Custom Studio Stage head and cab, Orange Tiny Terror combo.

So the fact that I'm not massively excited about a CS strat is understandable. Some are very good indeed, but even then a lot of money for what they are.

Some are dogs.

I'm not a rude guy, but you called me a liar, and I take offense to that.

Bothered?

I have good stuff too, want to measure cocks next?

I dont even like Fenders, but for you to say that a lower end guitar ( although still MIA and a solid guitar no doubt) is definitively better than a full on CS guitar is daft, it might feel better to you, but that doesnt make it better on paper or in reality to a guy in that States who can get one for the same cost as a MIA over here.

I have played well setup Squiers that felt better than MIA Fenders, does it make the Squier the better guitar?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Nov 22, 2011,
I was merely demonstrating that I'm not an angry forumite with a Bugera and some sort of LTD.
I still stand by what I said. In the last ten or so years, the quality of wood used has got worse. There are far more restrictions. A 1997 deluxe is more likely to be a lighter, more resonant guitar. That to me is better.

But we are all entitled to an opinion.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

"What the **** do you know?" is a completely idiotic question. You don't know what he knows. Tom probably flips more gear every few months than you've owned in your life.

Insulting someone because you think your gear is better is petty and stupid. Make your point without being an asshole, people might actually respect it.
i got my third strat recently, a custom shop deluxe. i still have my first strat, an american standard.

is the custom shop worth the extra? it's all down to personal preference, but to me it is worth it for the build quality, materials (ash body, birds eye maple neck), pickups (masterbuilt). the tone is amazing and for once on a strat the tone controls are actually usable.

one slight disappointment was the original set up, that could have been better but i've fixed that.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Roc8995
"What the **** do you know?" is a completely idiotic question. You don't know what he knows. Tom probably flips more gear every few months than you've owned in your life.

Insulting someone because you think your gear is better is petty and stupid. Make your point without being an asshole, people might actually respect it.

Excuse me?

he called me a liar. I wasn't trying to show off.
If he'd been a little more respectful in the first place, I wouldn't have said anything.

Did you somehow miss that?
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

if you really want a high quality strat without paying CS prices then get one of the late 80s ones. many of them were made by the guys who now run the custom shop. my 88 Strat Plus Deluxe is every bit as good as any strat i've played. i have played a few custom shop strats and do have to say not a dog amoungst them. all great guitars. would i pay the money well probably not but i wouldn't pay that much for a Suhr either (at least not a standard SSS style strat).

as with any guitar take some time and play as many of that style as you can before buying you'll find gems with a little patience without having to spend a fortune.
Fair point here also. I've played 2 strat plus guitars and they've both been great. One with quite a nice grey top, and one pink.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
Excuse me?

he called me a liar. I wasn't trying to show off.
If he'd been a little more respectful in the first place, I wouldn't have said anything.

Did you somehow miss that?
He made a reasonable assumption. Very few people outside of Fender employees will have had enough hands-on experience with a large enough number of Custom Shop guitars to be able to really speak of the line in such definitive terms as you did. Meanwhile you made much wilder assumptions both about the guitars being discussed and also about other peoples' knowledge.

You feel you know a lot, good for you. So do lots of other people and nine times out of ten they don't know half as much as they think they do. It's common on here to have to call people out on bullshit claims, over-explain things and repeat the same thing over and over because of the huge amount of misinformation that spreads around. It's nothing personal to you, suck it up and don't get your banana hammock in a twist.
Please let us not hijack the TS thread with a flamewar. You two can settle this like men: pistols at dawn at the town square.

TS, you really have to want a top-notch fender (or else be made of money) to go for a Custom Shop creation. Sometimes you can find them at slightly less than nosebleed prices, but for the most part they are very, very expensive. The selection of woods, components and the TLC that goes into the build are all second to none from Fender, and that's what you're paying for. It is rather ironic that so much hand work goes into recreating a guitar that was designed to be made almost entirely by machines in interchangeable components, but that's how it is.

If you get a CS Fender, you'll probably love it. Whether you'll notice a few thousand dollars' difference between it and an American Standard or an American Deluxe is debatable. You'll have to try a few and find out for yourself.

Bring money.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I never called you a liar.

Just said I doubt your opinion based on the experience you listed. I havent played many CS Fenders ( about 4 or 5 ) and they all surpassed my experiences with the MIAs of which I have played over 100 of the things.

They are better guitars, hardware, wood choice, care during the construction, quality control and just all round nicer guitars. Just because you dont get along with them doesnt mean you can tell a guy in the states, who could get a full on CS model 2nd hand for similar prices as we can buy a MIA Standard here in the UK is just sill and that is what I took issue with.

Sorry, but I mean, your a tad touchy.

Also, there isnt a few thousand dollars differecne between them, for example...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=985657

I nearly bought this myself.

Comes to about £1300 all in, some MIA Deluxe Strats go for more than that, when you consider what your getting, they arent that pricey.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Nov 22, 2011,
I'm not mate. I just try to be polite people, and can't help but take it personally when they don't return the courtesy.
I have my opinions and they're not necessarily right, but I have NEVER based anything I've said off here from what other people have told me. I would say so if that was the case.
I spoke from my experience though, and not from what other people have said, or some Blackstar bandwagon.
But yeah. I'm leaving this.

Peace and love...
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

there are some videos on the fender site that goes into what the Custom Build is all about. From what it seems they really work with you and make the guitar perfect for you.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
This arguement will probaby make tom have a custom shop fender for a day or two at least. GAS is bad innit
I bet that new job will help you out with gas. Not being around pretty guitars all day..
hispanic peoples work at the fender custom shop too.

there's this guy named Cruz that makes some of the greatestest strats evar.

i know, i played a couple. they are teh secks.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 22, 2011,
I guarantee you not a single guitar leaves the FCS with a warped neck. What happens afterwards isn't their fault. I've played dozens and the number of crap guitars is pretty low, all of the crap ones were used.

For the record, I own a FCS Strat and 2 Suhrs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by coolstoryangus
This arguement will probaby make tom have a custom shop fender for a day or two at least. GAS is bad innit
I bet that new job will help you out with gas. Not being around pretty guitars all day..

We don't have any custom shop Strats at work...

Though I saw a gorgeous Swamp Ash blue CS Strat the other day on TGP for $2100 that I want oh so bad..

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

I'm not so sure about this. I've played several MIM teles at various shops, and I own a MIM jaguar and Duo Sonic that are great. I've also heard loads of good things about the MIM guitars on other forums. Maybe you've just come across a few lemons.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Pssssst.... its sarcasm

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Just because a mexican doesnt care doesnt mean he doesnt build a great guitar once in a while. It just means he doesnt care if he makes a pure dug!
Quote by Tom 1.0
Pssssst.... its sarcasm

Pssssst... sarcasm doesn't translate into text.

Quote by coolstoryangus
Just because a mexican doesnt care doesnt mean he doesnt build a great guitar once in a while. It just means he doesnt care if he makes a pure dug!

Based on all of the MIM guitars that I've played I would say that it's more than just once in a while.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
there is nothing wrong with MIM fenders.

they are a good build for the price point.

once you start throwing money into them, you could have bought a USA fender.

once you start throwing money in a USA fender, you could have gotten a custom shop fender.

but for the $300 a used MIM fender goes for these days, tough to beat really. great stuff at that price point.

/theMIMbashing.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
there is nothing wrong with MIM fenders.

they are a good build for the price point.

once you start throwing money into them, you could have bought a USA fender.

once you start throwing money in a USA fender, you could have gotten a custom shop fender.

but for the $300 a used MIM fender goes for these days, tough to beat really. great stuff at that price point.

/theMIMbashing.

My $300 MIM was probably $500 after cheap upgrades(GFS pups/electronics/brass block, Fender locking tuners, graptech nut). It's pretty a pretty decent guitar, but I played a Highway one strat in GC for $450 and a MIJ mustang for $500, and they were both so much better than my MIM, I was sick.

What did I learn? A better guitar with stock pickups/hardware is better than a cheap guitar with upgrades. And I thought I had a damn good MIM strat too