So I've been playing guitar for a little over 6 years now. I never bothered learning how to read music, and my knowledge of theory doesn't go very far past knowing a couple scales and all the major and a few minor chords. My favourite bands are the likes of Trivium, Parkway Drive, and Metallica. All I've been doing to learn to play songs is Guitar Proing them, and learning what I can. However for the past 3 years, it feels like I've stagnated.

It feels like I haven't gotten any better and am NOWHERE near as good as I should be seeing how long I've been playing guitar for. So I want to learn to play guitar from scratch, getting lessons at the moment can't really be considered, as I'm a flat out broke college student lol.

Do you guys have any suggestions of where to start off? I know I need to "Practice, practice, practice!" But I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks alot

TL, DR: Has played guitar for years; sucks; wants go get better; doesn't know where to start
What are the scales you know ?

If they are major and minor then a good place to start would be learning them scales over the neck in a variety of keys and then using them to improvise over a backing track.

At the same time i think you should listen to the music that you like and try and work stuff out by ear before you resort to tabs. Learn their licks and riffs and then use them in your own improv and songwriting.

Learn how chords are constructed from the major and minor scale and learn to harmonise them.

Having a one off lesson with a good teacher would be a good idea so he can analyse you technique and tell you what you need to practice.

If you post a video of you playing then i'm sure everyone on here would me more than happpy to analyse your technique.
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

learn your open chords. there are simple formulas and patterns to learning bar chords. learn your intervals in scales you'll be able to make any scale in any key. may i suggest getting all your seventh chords minor seventh may seventh major and minor chords down.
It's very common for players to hit "wall" at your stage of development, that you recognise that your playing has become stagnant and want to seriously improve, shows that your ready to take the next step.

You can start by learning the notes on the frets, there are plenty of free online resources that can teach you to read basic music.

Assuming you know some Barre chord forms, finish leaning the minor chords and then move on to extended chords. Find some songs in a different genre that use the chords you are learning, blues may be the right level for this and is a good segue into jazz. Even if you don't care for that style of music the things you learn from it make playing other types of music you do like a whole lot easier and opens up a door of limitless musical possibilities. The whole idea is too keep the things you are learning challenging. Learning more than basic theory on your own without any one on one guidance is very difficult for most people.

Since you are a college student and have a limited amount of time, the preceding steps will probaly keep you busy, but will better prepare you for lessons after you graduate.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Nov 22, 2011,
Quote by kammy1221
So I've been playing guitar for a little over 6 years now. I never bothered learning how to read music, and my knowledge of theory doesn't go very far past knowing a couple scales and all the major and a few minor chords. My favourite bands are the likes of Trivium, Parkway Drive, and Metallica. All I've been doing to learn to play songs is Guitar Proing them, and learning what I can. However for the past 3 years, it feels like I've stagnated.

It feels like I haven't gotten any better and am NOWHERE near as good as I should be seeing how long I've been playing guitar for. So I want to learn to play guitar from scratch, getting lessons at the moment can't really be considered, as I'm a flat out broke college student lol.

Do you guys have any suggestions of where to start off? I know I need to "Practice, practice, practice!" But I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks alot

TL, DR: Has played guitar for years; sucks; wants go get better; doesn't know where to start

Just curious you play Metallica but don't use power chords ?
Quote by bast1981

did he say that ?
Thanks alot for the responses. Do you guys know if theres any lessons on UG where I can find a list of barre chords?
Quote by bast1981

??
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by bast1981

Fail troll is fail
Sorry for the double post. But should I learn a few scales and then intervals? Or should I take what I know from intervals then learn some scales?