Hi there,

I recently bought this Japanese copy of a Gibson Marauder,

http://db.tt/Pd78QMzk

It plays pretty well, nice ation and feels pretty solid.. Pickups are ok although there is quite a volume difference between the humbucker and the single coil..
It has a 3 way selector instead of the rotary 'blend' pot on most Marauders... so I purchased a 500k blend/balance audio pot... DO you think that will work in place of te switch?

Also thinking about the pickups... I'm a big fan of the P90 type sound so the humbucker is a little muffled for me when distorted... I have seen original Marauder single coils on Ebay recently - do you reckon swaping it out for one of those would be worth it sound wise?

Any suggestions, ideas ec?

cheers

Steve
Last edited by MrBitey at Nov 22, 2011,
Using a blend system would definitely help more to balance out the volume difference with the pickups.

As for replacing the pickups, you could get a humbucker-sized P90 pickup. Do you not like the single coil? Because if you like it, I don't see a reason to replace it.

I don't know what your budget is but you can get humbucker-sized P90s from GuitarFetish to Bare Knuckle, depending on how much you're willing to spend.
Try raising/lowering the pickup height of each to equalize the output. I'm sure swapping out the cheap pickups in the guitar would be worth it, though paying the price of vintage Gibson pickups is up to you. Personally I'd find a nice strat single coil and drop in it, assuming the shape is the same. It looks like the pickup in it is quite a bit bigger than a tradition single coil though..

I'm pretty jealous of your Marauder find btw
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Thanks for the ideas guys,

interestingly the humbucker s a little wider than standard 7.3cm as its encased in a thick resin.. If I popped a regular humbucker sized P90 in there there would be a gap of around 2mm all around... The single coil is a fair bit wider than a standard strat type too...

There is a place on Ebay selling the bridge pups...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Gibson-NOS-Parts-Black-Lead-Marauder-Pickup-/250934522367?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a6cdcf1ff#ht_1870wt_884

not a bad price... and I think black pups would definitely look better...
perhaps I should get a custom scratchplate made with a smaller neck hole (although by this time I will have spent as much on bits as on the original guitar outlay (£122 inc p&p)

Steve
That's a pretty good price for a NOS Gibson pickup, I'd pick it up since finding a single coil to fit that slot is gonna be a challenge. Good luck with upgrading it
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]