Originally Posted by SenseS FaiL
everytime it thunders i have to be away from a window and outside, i saw a tv show where it showed me a lady getting thundered in the face by watching outside her car window and that scarred me for life i guess
musically i thought it was pretty good, but i think thats about it.

you should add more mids as everything sounds so scooped and harsh sounding.

wheres the bass guitar? i couldnt really hear it.

the drums were too loud in the mix for MY taste. seemed to drown out the vox.

i know this is just personal preference, but im not feelin the screaming. so many bands do it nowadays that noby has an original way of doing it. the only way i prefer it anymore is in the vein of Matt Heafy from Trivium.

keep on doing what you love though. i wish i had time for a band to play in so i could get up in front of people and rock out. im just a bedroom warrior at this point. haha!

on a side note, and this is in no way directed towards you guys, but screaming in music seems anymore like a way for frontmen with no actual singing ability to mask the fact that they have no sense of melody and/or decent singing voice. am i alone in this thought?
Did you record with a laptop mic?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
i couldn't make it far enough into the music to judge it because the recording quality was so bad.
yes people the quality isn't great. but theres very good material here.

money is extremely tight and yeah this was recorded with a 10$ wal-mart mic
seriously...it was.
but i know theres great material here

edit: the quality isn't un-listenable...
everytime it thunders i have to be away from a window and outside, i saw a tv show where it showed me a lady getting thundered in the face by watching outside her car window and that scarred me for life i guess
Last edited by Deathrow_Saints at Nov 22, 2011,
I like the guitars on one of the songs, but the drums kill it for me man.
If you get the chance, go ahead and re-record with some quality gear. You've got some good musicians, but I don't know if I did the screaming style.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
I like the guitars on one of the songs, but the drums kill it for me man.
If you get the chance, go ahead and re-record with some quality gear. You've got some good musicians, but I don't know if I did the screaming style.

thanks, just so everyone knows the drums are just something i tabbed through Guitar Pro,then recorded. everything else is me. i'm actually still looking for a band but have been writing material for years now, i am in no way a vocalist lol
People have touched on the recording quality... I've heard much worse :p So don't fret about that yet. You need to finish your line up. Get the rest of a group together, and carry on from there.

I think my biggest criticism, and most important one, is you need to tighten up. Some of your rhythm parts were off a bit, and your lead parts were a tad muddy in places.

My opinion is: when recording, never move to another part until the one you've been working on is PERFECT. It may take hours to nail out that 2 second sweep part, but do it right because you have all the time in the world to do it

The tunes are really well written, though. Good job there!

Add my group if you want! We have a few songs posted... see if you can pick up what I was talking about in our recordings

http://www.reverbnation.com/solidaritywindsor
Quote by westley23j

... screaming in music seems anymore like a way for frontmen with no actual singing ability to mask the fact that they have no sense of melody and/or decent singing voice. am i alone in this thought?

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
I listened to Under the Sky and Advent of Perdition.

Under the Sky had a lot of melodic potential. It was a shame to see it killed by the monster-like chanting. I was absolutely not a fan of it. If there was actual singing and a vocal melody that imparted any real range of emotion, then my like of the song would go up several notches. What I heard musically was something that wanted to take me to several musical destinations, but the vocal style told me I was on a one-way ticket to the shitter.

Advent was similar in that it had some very cool elements to it. It had some parts with a classical music vibe that I thought were nicely composed. One part that didn't work so well was the key shift around 1:00. It seemed like an upbeat change in mood (which I was cool with), yet it still had the demon chanting vocs. It ended up like hearing horrible news over happy music. Once again, I felt the vocals were killing what the song could've accomplished.

Have you tried singing in a melodic voice? It's a challenge, but you might surprise yourself. And like anything, it can be learned and mastered through practice.

Keep at it. You have some skill. And have you considered using Hydrogen to program your drum beats if you are going to be a solo project? There are other options, but Hydrogen is free and pretty easy to use.
Some very nice guitar parts man, and great musical ideas.

However, as has been said, being perfectly TIGHT is the ONLY way to sound pro. Sure, you can have great mics, but... nobody is going to take you seriously unless you can play 100% exactly in time. It just won't sound good :/

I know it's tough to perfect timing. BUT, there is something you can do about it:

Try clapping in time with a metronome! Set it to 80, and start clapping. If you listen very closely, you will be able to tell whether it's perfectly in time because the metronome click will DISAPPEAR! Your mind will then trip out a little and go out of time. hahah so once you can start hitting that sweet spot more and more it will become easier and easier for you to play in time. Practice like 5-10 minutes a day for a few weeks, and you will see massive changes in your rhythm guitar and timing.
I love the content, it's very cool. I do recommend saving for a real recording setup, though. A decent interface will cost you no more than $120 and I think all of your band members can pull that together. Also a couple of Shure SM57 or SM58 mics are fantastic and not too expensive. If that costs too much, simple $30 generic recording mics can suffice.

Now for the music.

Your band definitely has talent. A lot. I especially like the guitarist, however only one member listed on your ReverbNation, so I'm gonna take a guess that you're a one-man band. The drumming on Burn You Alive was simple. I was fairly unimpressed with it however it did fit into the song nicely. Luminescent Echoes didn't seem to have any sort of drums though, which disappointed me, since I love awesome drums.

I was very impressed with the intro on Bloodborne, however, I HATE screams, so I can't say I enjoyed it. The instruments are fantastic, and you finally picked up on the drums here! (listening as I type) Under the Sky sounded like it was recorded with a shoe, and the screaming was even more incomprehensible that screaming normally is. As far as screaming I've heard, sounded pretty professional. Instruments were not as awesome as other songs.

All in all, Burn You Alive was the best, Under the Sky was the worst.

Also, you may not be into my genre, but C4C? link in sig.
That was pretty bad. I think most people covered why. However, seems like you have potential.

Check out Fruity Loops. It used to be free. I used to use it quite a bit for my percussion a lot. I used to design my own samples or at least tweak sample, but there are thousands of free samples you can use. (keep in mind I haven't written anything really since 2003 and I think I was using version 3? at the time). I just downloaded version 10 and they have added tons of cool stuff. It appears that you can export files in the Free version, so that's cool.

Here's a couple tracks, snanics and New Times, I used Fruity Loops and 909 samples for all of the percussion:

http://www.reverbnation.com/asect9

They are pretty simple tracks that I used as fillers for a electro set I spun. Probably not your style, but should give you an idea of what you can do for your drums. Getting drum tracks to sound organic is not an easy task and something I never really perfected.

I also used to record my guitar directly to the computer. Patch cables aren't that expensive. Heck I have used Windows Sound Recorder (mostly for voice samples), then would use Sound Forge to clean and tweak before sequencing in ACID Pro.

ACID Pro is still pretty expensive, but looks like they have ACID Music Studio and is only like $65.
I suppose even this type of sound has it's fans. Not really qualified to comment. Been a gigging musician for over fifty years, and just don't understand why people are listening to this. No offence, not bashing, or criticizing, just can't get my head around it. Hope you do well and get what you want out of it.