So I plan on auditioning for the William Paterson Popular Music Studies program next semester. I have never have a guitar lesson in my life and I know nothing about music theory in the classical sense. These are the minimum requirements:
Minimum requirements for all instruments including electric guitar and electric bass (except voice and percussion):

1.Perform the following scales: C major, G major, Bb Major, and C harmonic minor. (Keyboard players must perform with two hands simultaneously.)
Perform an unaccompanied solo piece in any style.

I know that I will be able to perform the scales with no problem if I just find the right source to show me what notes are played. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? I've tried looking on the internet, but came across many different ways to play each. I just want to learn the right way if I am going to learn.

Thanks!
Well, do you know the intervals in a major scale?
Edit: or better yet, how to construct a major scale?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Last edited by vampirelazarus at Nov 22, 2011,
Do you know if you have to play the scales in more than one octave? There are many places to start but if it goes up two or more octaves than your choices are slightly narrowed.
And your profile says your last date online was back in 2009. Where have you been?
Quote by bigteets922
So I plan on auditioning for the William Paterson Popular Music Studies program next semester. I have never have a guitar lesson in my life and I know nothing about music theory in the classical sense. These are the minimum requirements:
Minimum requirements for all instruments including electric guitar and electric bass (except voice and percussion):

1.Perform the following scales: C major, G major, Bb Major, and C harmonic minor. (Keyboard players must perform with two hands simultaneously.)
Perform an unaccompanied solo piece in any style.

I know that I will be able to perform the scales with no problem if I just find the right source to show me what notes are played. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? I've tried looking on the internet, but came across many different ways to play each. I just want to learn the right way if I am going to learn.

Thanks!

Is there one "right" way? I dont think so.

If lessons arent an option, maybe go buy a guitar scale book?

Best,

Sean
As another route to travel if you can't do lessons, I'd recommend picking up a book called The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. As you learn how to construct the major scale, you'll be able to apply it in any key all across the neck. This was, regardless of the number of octaves or the position you have to play it in (I got asked for a couple different ones, personally) you'll have the knowledge to do what you need to.