So I've had a metalzone for a few months (bought it used), and I'm now noticing the tone has gotten quite fuzzy and I'm rather perturbed by it. Is there a fix, or do I gotta suck it up?

My EQ, in case it's needed:

Level: 12 o clock
High: 3 o clock
bass: a little under 3 o clock (meaning towards 4)
Mid and Mid Frequency: Both ~10:30
Distortion: 5 (all the way up)
My guess is that your ears have gotten better and notice good tone finally.
Aw.

Guess I'll get a tube screamer?

And no, I can't turn down the distortion. I play very heavy stuff. I need it all. It sounds so hollow without it.

And I can't turn down the gain on the amp... cause... well... there is none.
Quote by jeleopard
Aw.

Guess I'll get a tube screamer?

That won't give you a metal tone at all!

If I had to choose a metal distortion pedal, I'd probably go with the EHX Metal Muff.

There aren't many pedals that do it for me when it comes to metal, to be honest.

My second choice would be a Hardwire TL-2, however, that sounds kind of synthetic to me...

Bear in mind, I don't look at many metal pedals. When it comes to metal, I find that amp distortion is really the best way to go about it.
Last edited by Kevin19 at Nov 22, 2011,
Okay, well. I have an amp that has virtually no gain. I only say virtually because there's still the natural gain of turning the volume up. Of course, with my amp, you turn it to 3 and you have to shout. It's pretty loud.

But I need a pedal that can give me a nice, heavy, "BR00TUL" tone.
Quote by jeleopard
Okay, well. I have an amp that has virtually no gain. I only say virtually because there's still the natural gain of turning the volume up. Of course, with my amp, you turn it to 3 and you have to shout. It's pretty loud.

Buy my RAILhead TUA. $130 shipped its yours
Quote by jeleopard

Well, even if you could turn it up all the way, there's no way you could get a metal tone out of it.

Anyways, DON'T get a Tubescreamer just for metal. That would get you enough gain to play some Blues-Rock (Bear in mind, many metal guitarists do use them to boost their solos). There are nice metal pedals out there, however, do a good amount of research, as many sound very synthetic and digital (even if they are analog)!

Also, wait for some others to respond as the research I've done was about a year ago when i was obsessed with metal, and newer, better pedals may have come out since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3900Exbb4P0

^I just decided to do some more research, and found that. It might help you decide (I thought that the Metal Muff and the Trimode had the best balance between tightness and high-gainness). To be fair, however, none of them sounded amazing to me, but I understand you can't just go out and buy a new amp for this.
Last edited by Kevin19 at Nov 22, 2011,
Sounds like the metal zone is working the way it was designed.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
You need a new amp. Bin the metalzone or try and sell it.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Turn the gain down.. Seriously.

It's a common mistake to use too much.

also, you're using an amp not made to handle high-gain.. And of course you're using a pedal that most don't like.

Sorry to tell you, but you're gonna definitely have to change amps to achieve any type of "brutal" tone.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Turn the gain down.. Seriously.

It's a common mistake to use too much.

also, you're using an amp not made to handle high-gain.. And of course you're using a pedal that most don't like.

Sorry to tell you, but you're gonna definitely have to change amps to achieve any type of "brutal" tone.

Agreed. With everything.

I had a Metal Zone for a long while, and never turned the gain ("distortion") up over half way, and that was still moderately too much. With the right attention to the eq'ing, you CAN get a decent metal tone out of it. But you need a better amp to complement it in the first place...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by jeleopard
That I have now? 1970's Fender Champ Amp. 5 watt. LIKE A BOSS.

Yeah the Fender is a great amp! Your problem is you are putting a shit pedal in front turning it into the Insane channel of a Line 6 Spider.

If you have to have metal tones, you need to sell the Boss and get some actually nice distortions or get an amp that actually handles metal tone on its own.

Watch some Youtube videos of these...

Okko Dominator
Wampler Triple Wreck
Wampler SLOstortion
Toneczar Openhaus
Weehbo Morbid Drive
try a boss power stack...... it might do u some favors
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
try a boss power stack...... it might do u some favors

try a boss nothing
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
try a boss nothing

oh cmon now :P

i do hate most boss pedals but that one in particular is pretty good sounding for a quick and good metal sound
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
oh cmon now :P

i do hate most boss pedals but that one in particular is pretty good sounding for a quick and good metal sound

I gotta agree with this one.

Although, shoving it in front of his current amp won't help much..
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Google some mods for that bad boy. The boss pedals are fun modding platforms. They don't make a huge difference, but they are noticeable, cheap, good experience, and you can actually tighten up the sound.

I used to own a Metal Zone and had the Robert Keeley mod done to it. Definitely cleaned up the sound, and the pedal finally had some balls to it.

At any rate though, there are much better pedals out there. Once I got the AMT Distation, there was no way I could go back to the Metal Zone. Night and day difference.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
This advice goes for amps as well as pedals...

Turn your gain down. Really. Just try it. Gain knob wrapped to the stop usually results in a fizzy, buzzy mess. I've heard it described as sounding like a can full of angry bees. I have to admit I was guilty of it too until pretty recently. I always thought I needed more gain to play heavier stuff, but found that it had more to do with EQ than gain. If you EQ the amp properly and use the right pick attack, you can get some seriously heavy sounds and chuggy palm mutes with the gain MUCH lower than you'd think you need.

Which leads me to my next point... Your amp sucks for metal. Sorry, but it does. Even with a pedal. If you crank that thing up to try to keep up with a drummer, you're going to start hitting power tube breakup very early on a 5W amp. If you're trying to get your tone from a pedal, then you want your amp to stay clean even at very high volumes. Most people want a nice tight sound for metal, and the champ is very unlikely to give you that when you crank it.

Not sure if you're gigging or not, so the above may not apply. If it's just for home practice you may be able to get away with it at bedroom volumes.

As far as pedals go, I've really never used one I thought sounded good, so can't help you there.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
This advice goes for amps as well as pedals...

Turn your gain down. Really. Just try it. Gain knob wrapped to the stop usually results in a fizzy, buzzy mess. I've heard it described as sounding like a can full of angry bees. I have to admit I was guilty of it too until pretty recently. I always thought I needed more gain to play heavier stuff, but found that it had more to do with EQ than gain. If you EQ the amp properly and use the right pick attack, you can get some seriously heavy sounds and chuggy palm mutes with the gain MUCH lower than you'd think you need.

Which leads me to my next point... Your amp sucks for metal. Sorry, but it does. Even with a pedal. If you crank that thing up to try to keep up with a drummer, you're going to start hitting power tube breakup very early on a 5W amp. If you're trying to get your tone from a pedal, then you want your amp to stay clean even at very high volumes. Most people want a nice tight sound for metal, and the champ is very unlikely to give you that when you crank it.

Not sure if you're gigging or not, so the above may not apply. If it's just for home practice you may be able to get away with it at bedroom volumes.

As far as pedals go, I've really never used one I thought sounded good, so can't help you there.

pretty accurate assessment here. the Champ was used to record some of classic rocks finest moments but it just plain isn't a metal amp. if you are trying to get modern metal sounds an 8" speaker isn't even close to ideal. turn down the distortion, past a certain point you get mush period. sounds like you need the extra gain to cover bad playing techniques to me. it also has a very basic EQ set up which doesn't help your cause.