We live in a changing world. Cultures that have remained isolated for so long now see change never before seen in the history of mankind, ideas that have shaped families for generation after generation have now been replaced in the span of a single generation. We are surely at the dawn to a massive paradigm shift, where the cultural aspects of our society will surely be different tomorrow then they are today. As such, I ask you, the Pit to give your take on this.

Is cultural assimilation, a result of globalization, positive or negative? Why?

Also, please answer this short, 5 questions survey. (It is for school, and I didn't come up with the questions)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VBP8G8K
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Positive. People tend to be more biased towards their own cultures than others.. If we are all integrating surely it will lead to a big decrease in racism, eventually.
The only way I can see this negative is through the eyes of someone living today - who have seen the diversity and loved it.
This diversity does however pose a threat, as we see with terrorism fx, which is basicly rebellion against, mainly American, cultural imperialism. Assimilation, not when one culture is removed and replaced with another, but when two or more cultures clash and work in synergy is positive in every way for peace. Because then even the fundamentalists can see themselves in the society that is being build. However, this is a natural process and a product of globalization and not something that should be forced upon anyone and the western world should be more careful about how they work out in the rest of the world, because western understanding of business fx is not necessarily the same as chinese understanding of business - just as Christian moral isn't the same as Jewish moral - we can't force our believes on other nations - and with nations i mean people, not governments. We can't push democracy on a land who has never seen it before or had a taste of what it's like.

As much as I love diversity, natural slowmoving assimilation is just better.
Last edited by cheesecakes4 at Nov 22, 2011,
cool
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
^I have a problem with your argument. Isn't terrorism a consecuence of the lack of assimilation there is about different cultures?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Mostly positive. Cultural differences leads to pointless divisions and even conflicts among people.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Ostinattos
^I have a problem with your argument. Isn't terrorism a consecuence of the lack of assimilation there is about different cultures?

I'd argue that terrorism, and indeed all conflict, is a result of scarcity. People fight because they seek out the same scarce resources. (Collier-Hoeffler model)

The role the clash of cultures or whatever you'd like to call it plays is that differences allow lines by which to divide the populace, areas where cleavages emerge. The fact that they are different allows them to form coalitions to compete, it makes collective action easier. Ethnicity is probably the easiest way that coalitions are formed, but religion and cultural identity rank closely behind, as does class.

My point is that diversity doesn't create conflict, if it did there would always be conflict non stop and we could never hope for peace as long as people are different, which they always will be. However, the differences do play a role by making fighting over resources easier.

My 2 cents.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I voted positive in your survey, but it's a tough question to answer.

I think that is is a good thing that the world as a whole is becoming more tolerant and less divided, but it's terrible seeing cultures disappear, especially when they are replaced by Western culture. I don't think Western culture is a bad thing, but it's sad to see multinationals force Western products on people (and yes, I'm aware not all multinationals are Western), languages die to be replaced by English, etc. Plus, I'm a generic alter-globalisation supporter, so as a result of globalisation, I'd say it's mostly bad. I support some globalisation but the way it is happening deeply saddens me.

That being said, on a personal level, it's good. I could assimilate into another country much easier than a hundred years ago.
Quote by guitarage
Positive. People tend to be more biased towards their own cultures than others.. If we are all integrating surely it will lead to a big decrease in racism, eventually.

there is no scientific reason for racism anyway, despite our culture's, we are all one species.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
i think its an equilibrium sort of thing. the more advanced we get the more we will create our demise i some way and our population will drop and we will be back to square one. equilibrium
Quote by Harvey Swick
there is no scientific reason for racism anyway, despite our culture's, we are all one species.

For the fast majority of human history we have stuck to family groups for survival. It is only in recent history that we have begun to work together on a larger scale to create communities (the past 6,000 years or so) and even then we have stuck to our own 'race' for the vast majority of that time as well. When you live in family groups, you will develop an instinct to be hostile to those that are not in your family group. Unfortunately different skin color is the most obvious indication that somebody is not in your family group, so it's a very basic instinct to be mistrustful of them.

Now before some idiot jumps down my throat, I am NOT making excuses for racism nor am I advocating any behavior that may result from this primitive instinct. We are capable of higher thought and reason, and this gives us no excuse. We also have an instinct to attack someone when we get angry at them, but that doesn't mean it's ok to go beating up everyone that calls you an asshole.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 23, 2011,
Generally positive. Multiculturalism necessitates that people interact and begin to understand each other. Traditionally, a paradigm across all cultures has been a myopic view of everyone outside that culture as subhuman, as different, as an "other". Cultural assimilation breaks those barriers between people down through a constant interaction and sharing of values.

Perhaps unfortunately it does lead to a loss of culture. In some cases this is a good thing, such as in the treatment of women, but in other cases there are languages and arts and beliefs lost which, imo, would benefit us from whatever small presence they might have.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
'Cultural assimilation' means a completely different thing in Australia, and it's definitely a terrible, terrible thing.

Actual assimilation has both advantages and disadvantages. I'd say it's more positive in the long run.
Really appreciate you guys filling out the surveys, as I have enough for my part of the project.

Except the juvenile that put his occupation as "doing your mom."
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
Really appreciate you guys filling out the surveys, as I have enough for my part of the project.

Except the juvenile that put his occupation as "doing your mom."

Sorry son.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.