Hey guys,
I've got a beautiful Ibby RGA32 with a rainbow strap - you know, standard intermediate guitar - two humbuckers, bolt on neck, fixed bridge, strung thru-body.
I recently made it into the school Big Band and the cheap nasty Ibby active pups are not doing anything suitable for such a genre.
Anyway, I'm going to change the pups for passive nice ones, and I'm thinking of a nice clean jazzy pickup in the neck position and a high-output metal pickup in the bridge position.

First off, what do you think, and how would such a beast turn out?
Secondly, anything you would recommend?

I'm currently thinking of a Seymour Duncan Jazz thing in the neck and a DiMarzio X2N or whatever it is in the bridge.

Cheers

[EDIT] Just a few extra details: the pups in it now are LZ-3's powered by two AA batteries, and they really are quite pitiful for anything other than maxed out distortion. I've done everything with the amp EQ's to try and get it to sound smoother and jazzier, and obviously if I found something that worked well enough for me I wouldn't have made this thread. Mahogany body, maple/walnut neck I think, and I'm gradually teaching it to take 12's (it's in 10-52's now, will be in 11's in like a month). Thanks
Last edited by ruletheneck at Nov 23, 2011,
Try to avoid mixing pickup brands if you can. Can lead to added pain to get them to play nice (sometimes anyway).

Might as well go for a full seymour duncan JB/Jazz combo. Or even the SH-6 instead of the JB in the bridge. I can vouch for both the JB and Sh-6 being sweet. And same goes for their jazzy neck pickups (SH-2n, etc). Works great in mahogany too which is what I'm assuming the RGA is made of.

If you want to go for DiMarzios on the other hand then look at a D-Sonic/Air Norton or Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo. Both essentially entail an awesome, high output pickup in the bridge, and a smoother, clean neck pickup. Very highly recommended.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
If you really wanna go the pick-up route, I'd go JB/Jazz. However, I'm sure you can get a decent sound out of your ap just by messing with your EQ.

Also, Actives to passives is less nasty than passives to actives, iirc, but it is still a nasty conversion. Try and stick with your actives. I honstly wouldn't even try to switch out those 2 kinds of pups.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
AWACS the Ibanez active pickups (LZs or something) are pretty much awful.

But yeah you have a fair point about going from actives to passives. Granted even staying with actives but changing to blackouts/EMGs/etc might be a pain because I think the Ibanez pickups are powered with AA batteries, and not the standard 9v like other actives. >_<
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
i personally havent liked the SD Jazz in the two guitars i had it in. i would HIGHLY recommend the SD full shred for the neck. its got a very mellow, rounded off high end and it suits my playing very well. it does the john petrucci-type lead tone very well!

not sure about the bridge pups. at the least i can recommend you stay away from the dimebucker and the Custom 5. hear a sound clip of various SD pups playing the same riff through an axe FX and the full shred and duncan distortion bridge models were my favorite.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by Pac_man0123
Just be careful about getting two pickups at alternate ends of the spectrum... You could have some volume issues when switching between them.

i dont think i'll find myself ever switching between them in the same song, or ever using them together. pickup height can somewhat fix that sort of thing anyway

so aside from the sudden change in tone that confuses everyone in the band when i select a different pickup, is there really a 'legit' or scientific reason not to have such different pickups in the one guitar?

and it doesnt necessarily have to be a jazz pickup, honestly i'd prefer something more versatile that sounds good in every clean setting
thanks, everyone
I'd stick with the actives but replace the stock Ibanez one with EMG X active pickups. EMGs were originally designed for jazz you know. The 60, 60A or any of the dual mode ones will be good for jazz. Obviously the output is high so you have to be careful with your amp's gain and obviously you'll want to roll the tone knob back a bit but otherwise active pickups have a superb high-response jazzy tone. The X models of EMG have more headroom for a more natural tone if you don't want the full active compression.

In fatc if I was trying to get jazz and metal tone sout of one guitar what I'd do is put a 60X in the neck and a 81X in the bridge and replace the normal tone knob with an EMG SPC which gives a big mid boost to your tone as well as rolling off a little of the highs. That way you've got cutting metal tones and can roll in the SPC for smoother jazz tones and both positions work with it, instead of strictly having just one pickup for each kind of playing.

Quote by VVolverin3
Try to avoid mixing pickup brands if you can. Can lead to added pain to get them to play nice (sometimes anyway).
There's no problem with mixing brands except for Fender who for some reason insist on installing their magnets the opposite way to everyone else.

In fact I think more people would be happier with their pickups if they'd mix brands. Most people still religiously to one brand even when a pickup from someone else would be better. For my money DiMarzio make the best bridge pickups period and Seymour Duncan make the best neck pickups for normal budgets and The Creamery make the best for slightly higher budgets.
I think you could go with Dimarzio on both. Seymour Duncans ARE great pickups, but not as good as Dimarzio. Maybe a PAF or Air in the neck and a LiquiFire in the bridge? (I recommend against the Super Distortion here because it sounds really bright, even in an all-mahogany Les Paul).

Or you could go the EMG route, which I have been loving recently. The 60/81tw combo would be perfect so you could pull of any sounds you'd want essentially. They are MUCH more versatile than many say.
Quote by grohl1987
There's no problem with mixing brands except for Fender who for some reason insist on installing their magnets the opposite way to everyone else.

In fact I think more people would be happier with their pickups if they'd mix brands. Most people still religiously to one brand even when a pickup from someone else would be better. For my money DiMarzio make the best bridge pickups period and Seymour Duncan make the best neck pickups for normal budgets and The Creamery make the best for slightly higher budgets.

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

Although I personally have liked the DiMarzio Air Norton (neck) more than the SD Jazz (SH2n). Granted the Air Norton was in a better guitar than the SD is in so there is some bias there.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Lace Drop "N Gain. They will clean up beautifully for jazz, but have a monstrous output for heavier stuff. As well, the note definition is superb when playing heavier.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I bought a cheap Subani Garnet and put two Dimarzio DP159 Evolution Bridge Pickup in it, works great. Awesome for rhythm guitar through a valve amp
Quote by VVolverin3

Might as well go for a full seymour duncan JB/Jazz combo. Or even the SH-6 instead of the JB in the bridge. I can vouch for both the JB and Sh-6 being sweet. And same goes for their jazzy neck pickups (SH-2n, etc). Works great in mahogany too which is what I'm assuming the RGA is made of.

If you want to go for DiMarzios on the other hand then look at a D-Sonic/Air Norton or Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo. Both essentially entail an awesome, high output pickup in the bridge, and a smoother, clean neck pickup. Very highly recommended.

Um... No.
Sorry dude, but I'm fully for mixing and matching. I have a Duncan Distortion/D-Sonic combo in my LP and it's great.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
This is exactly what EMG pickups are made for. Jazz Cleans and high-output distortion. Prince has been doing this for decades.
EMG 81/60 combo

i swear if someone pulls this "they're actives for metal" BS im gonna flip

the 60 sounds great for cleans
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
thanks to everyone for the input
i've been up to my local shops and browsing and thinking, and i spoke to one of the guys about taking the bridge pup out of my ibby S (passive Ibby stock pickup) and putting that in my RGA bridge, replacing the neck pup of the rga with an SD jazz and putting an X2N into my S bridge, and he was all for the idea, so i reckon that's what i'll do
apologies for the wording, but you get what i mean.
cheers