I regularly hang around the forums but this is my first post here, so I guess an ''Hello Everybody'' is a nice start

Anyway, I play lead guitar in an alternative/classic rock band, we write our own pieces and we're starting soon to play live.

I haven't a nice live amp, we usually practice in a rehersal room, and for my home practice I only have a roland microcube. I used to rent the amp in my previous gigs with other bands.

I'm interested in buying a valve amp, my budget is around 700-800 euros (937-1070 $$$), I need something that can give me both nice clean sound and mighty distortion, if necessary i can add 100 euros more in a distortion pedal.

Which amp and (if needed) distortion pedal will fit my situation? Thank you, sorry for my english D:

Edit: I own a Standard American Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul Studio, if that's useful
Last edited by Joeslash at Nov 23, 2011,
Sure.

This is a list of my influences, surely something is missing but i'm coming up with these right now:

Beatles, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Ac/Dc, Eagles, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Dire Straits, Gary Moore, Steve Ray Vaughan, Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, Foo Fighters, Alter Bridge.

Well a lot of people told me that a Jcm800 would be okay, but then a lot of people told me that it has crappy cleans. Haven't tried it yet.
The 800 would be excellent for the dirty tones you're looking for...but, as you say, it's not famous for it's clean sounds.

Having said that, most of those bands aren't famous for their clean tones either....
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
Check out the Egnater Renagde. Its amazing, and it's 999.99 normally but they have a rebate for $100 off right now. OD and Clean channels are to die for. I couldn't decide between it or the Tourmaster. I went with the Tourmaster because it was closer to my heart. Im still considering the Renegade, Once the Tourmaster arrives and I try it, if it doesn't meet expectations I'll definitely get the Renegade.

But seriously check the Renegade out.
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Last edited by d.c.guitar at Nov 23, 2011,
Peavey Valveking might do the trick. you should be able to find one fairly cheap and have money left over to replace the speaker and tubes. it has a really nice clean channel and the distortion channel will do much of what you want by itself. for added umph ad an overdrive and you should be good to go. i use one to play many of the older bands you mentioned and have had success getting reasonably close to those tones.
Quote by monwobobbo
Peavey Valveking might do the trick. you should be able to find one fairly cheap and have money left over to replace the speaker and tubes. it has a really nice clean channel and the distortion channel will do much of what you want by itself. for added umph ad an overdrive and you should be good to go. i use one to play many of the older bands you mentioned and have had success getting reasonably close to those tones.

I can find an used VK so cheap, and have it modded to decent specs under 500 dollars, easy. With a boost as well.

Don't recommend a cheap amp to someone who has 1k to spend
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Ok sorry, I forgot to mention Buckley into my influences. Part of our stuff is similar to his tunes style, so clearly I need a nice clean sound

Thank you everybody, I'll try out the Renegade the Orange and the Hughes.
Today a guy at the university told me about the Vox Ac-30, considering the prices there are a few models of it that would fit my budget. Could it also be a nice choice?
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I can find an used VK so cheap, and have it modded to decent specs under 500 dollars, easy. With a boost as well.

Don't recommend a cheap amp to someone who has 1k to spend

he's in europe where things are more expensive to begin with so he really doesn't have 1 k for american prices.

as for the rest of your statement it doesn't make much sense. if he can have what he wants for $500 as you suggest then why spend more? just because you have more doesn't mean you need to spend more. i went the VK route for that very reason.

i see you have a Mesa MK IV which admittedly is better than a VK but also even used would cost 3 X the figure you mentioned. not everyone has the spare money and honestly if you can get decent results for less why not go that route. spending more doesn't always translate into better results. as much as i'd love a MKV it will be quiet some time before i can justify the expense. in the mean time my VK delivers what i need within reason and is a keeper.
Quote by monwobobbo
he's in europe where things are more expensive to begin with so he really doesn't have 1 k for american prices.

as for the rest of your statement it doesn't make much sense. if he can have what he wants for $500 as you suggest then why spend more? just because you have more doesn't mean you need to spend more. i went the VK route for that very reason.

i see you have a Mesa MK IV which admittedly is better than a VK but also even used would cost 3 X the figure you mentioned. not everyone has the spare money and honestly if you can get decent results for less why not go that route. spending more doesn't always translate into better results. as much as i'd love a MKV it will be quiet some time before i can justify the expense. in the mean time my VK delivers what i need within reason and is a keeper.

I feel like since I put the MKIV in my gear list I have been treated like a rich snob

VK is nice, but for 1k he can pick up an used cab and an used head, which will be better in the long run.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I feel like since I put the MKIV in my gear list I have been treated like a rich snob

VK is nice, but for 1k he can pick up an used cab and an used head, which will be better in the long run.

didn't say you were a rich snob at all for all i know you saved every penny you had for 3 years to get it. i assume you live at home and are able to direct more of your income to equipment. i have a house to pay for and a family including 2 teenage girls.

once again keep in mind that prices in europe are way higher than they are here. his 800 euros won't go anywhere near as far as 800 bucks here in the US. we're lucky that there is tons of used gear to be had fairly cheap to next to nothing.

my other point is that sometimes the lower end item may be exactly what you need to get the sound you want. i use the VK for 70s style hard rock and blues rock both of which it excells at doing. the VK is very similar to the amps used at the time and honestly better in some cases. i had the money to spend on something more expensive but unless i spent over twice what a new VK costs i didn't find anything i liked better. even used didn't come across anything that was that much better for even close to the vk cost. also some of us like to use 1x12 combos and don't really need a head and bottom (even a 2x12).
Last edited by monwobobbo at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
didn't say you were a rich snob at all for all i know you saved every penny you had for 3 years to get it. i assume you live at home and are able to direct more of your income to equipment. i have a house to pay for and a family including 2 teenage girls.

once again keep in mind that prices in europe are way higher than they are here. his 800 euros won't go anywhere near as far as 800 bucks here in the US. we're lucky that there is tons of used gear to be had fairly cheap to next to nothing.

my other point is that sometimes the lower end item may be exactly what you need to get the sound you want. i use the VK for 70s style hard rock and blues rock both of which it excells at doing. the VK is very similar to the amps used at the time and honestly better in some cases. i had the money to spend on something more expensive but unless i spent over twice what a new VK costs i didn't find anything i liked better. even used didn't come across anything that was that much better for even close to the vk cost. also some of us like to use 1x12 combos and don't really need a head and bottom (even a 2x12).

I use to live on my own and actually make a bit to save for gear. Now I live with family and I am poor as fucccccck. Lol, which is usually the exact opposite for most people. Yay college, wut ev.

Alright, I didn't realize the market was that bad in europe, I thought their prices were relatively close to ours, and places like aus, israel, etc. Had jacked up prices.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90