I have recently changed from size 12 strings, to 13 on my acoustic, and im loving it!

Anyways. It's buzzing now. It also buzzed when it had 12's on. Im not too worried about the buzz to be honest. Im just wondering. If I plug it into an amp, would the buzz sound come out of the amp?
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
Absolutley.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
Absolutley.

I was told it didnt? Its only because it's hitting another fret, if you know what i mean?
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
Quote by AdamDCMA
I was told it didnt? Its only because it's hitting another fret, if you know what i mean?

Yeah well, frets may cause the sound, but the string is what actually buzzes, so amplifiers are going to pick up on it without fail.
Quote by Koekoeksklok
Yeah well, frets may cause the sound, but the string is what actually buzzes, so amplifiers are going to pick up on it without fail.

Would it help if i raised the action?
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
Fret buzzing can be caused by.

Saddle too low

Nut being low or cut too deep

Saddle being to low

A raised fret

Worn frets

Curvature to the neck

A twisted neck

To diagnose the problem takes more info, does it buzz on a single fret, multiple frets, a single string, high or low on the neck, one side of the neck, ect.

In general if the strings are pretty close to the frets, then raising the action a little will take care of the problem, if doing so makes the fretting the strings uncomfortable, then it is caused by one or more of the possible problems I have listed.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Nov 23, 2011,
Measure the action at the 12th fret, you should have about a tenth of an inch clearance, bottom of string to top of 12th fret.

You do have to go through the guitar fret by fret, string by string, to see if you can localize the buzz to a specific string/ fret combination.

As to coming through the amplifier, I'm guessing the problem would be most likely to be heard prominently with a piezo under saddle pickup. With a magnetic sound hole pickup, perhaps a bit less so.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 23, 2011,
He mentioned that it buzzes with both gauges.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
He mentioned that it buzzes with both gauges.
I've already gone back and rewritten to post to reflect that. This before you checked up on me.

Quote by BlackbirdPie
Fret buzzing can be caused by.

Saddle too low

Nut being low or cut too deep

Saddle being to low

A raised fret

Worn frets

Curvature to the neck

A twisted neck
You mentioned the saddle being too low twice. Would that mean it could be twice as low as it should be?
Quote by Captaincranky
I've already gone back and rewritten to post to reflect that. This before you checked up on me.

You mentioned the saddle being too low twice. Would that mean it could be twice as low as it should be?

Ha! Actually it means I should proof read my messages before I send them. Unfortunately my bad net conection (thanks for nothing Frontier Communications) often limits my time to one or two minutes. So I race to send my messages.
I recently did a string change and tune up on a client's accoustic guitar. He had a mysterious buzz, and tuning stability problems. It turned out that the tuners were loose, causing buzzing everywhere. The top collar that screwed down onto the rest of the tuner was loose and vibrated when the string was played. I stretched and broke in the new strings, tightened up all the loose tuners, and the buzz was gone. Good luck.
i be thinkin' that you got 13's on a guitar that was probably designed around 10's or 11's. a professional adjustment may be in order. but that's my noob opinion. i be thinkin' a lotta noob thoughts .... like why do i like sitting home and stapling bologna to my face... hmm...
Quote by stepchildusmc
i be thinkin' that you got 13's on a guitar that was probably designed around 10's or 11's. a professional adjustment may be in order. but that's my noob opinion. i be thinkin' a lotta noob thoughts .... like why do i like sitting home and stapling bologna to my face... hmm...
Perhaps you could rub dog poop on your fingers to assist in quitting that behaviour!

Hey, legend has it that it was instrumental in providing helping find relief for people who pick their noses.....

Notice how I cleverly inserted, "instrumental" in that sentence. This facilitated in assisting the post fit in with the general musical theme around here....

On a more somber note, heavier strings would mostly raise the guitar's action, perhaps lessening the buzz.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 23, 2011,