Im looking to get a volume pedal? I dont know which would be a good buy. I was looking at either a Morley Little Alligator or a Ernie Ball. Does anyone have any suggestion or opinions on those pedals? I dont mind getting used.
Chris

My Gear-
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM, First Act VW GarageMaster
Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
The Morley I think uses active electronics, and it effects something, I don't remember

The Ernie Ball Volume pedal seems fine, has a large footprint though, not to mention, it uses a rubber band for the rack or whatever it is called. Would rather have hard plastic than a rubberband.

And I think for the same price as the Ernie Ball, you can get a Dunlop High gain volume pedal.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have an ernie ball volume pedal, and it's a great addition to your board. Solid aluminum housing and pedal. I think the part that operates the pot inside the pedal is cord... I could be wrong, but I thought it was Kevlar fabric woven into a string. Either way, it's way stronger than it has to be. Very smoothe operation, and has a tuner out so you can silence your rig and still have an output to a pedal or rack tuner. It's a passive pedal also, so no power required. Just plug the guitar into it, and you're set.

The morley doesn't appear to have a tuner out, and it's an optical pedal so it requires power.

I'd go with the EB, as they're the same price new, and the fact that it's one less pedal on your board that will need a battery or power supply.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
^^I've also been looking into getting a volume pedal, and specifically at the Ernie Ball pedals. Does yours have a smooth "ramp-up" from zero to full volume?

I primarily want it for volume swells, and when I use my guitar's volume knobs, especially when on overdrive, it goes from zero volume to suddenly a lot of volume instantly, no matter how subtly I tweak the knob ~ it'll be quiet and then all of a sudden quite loud, like plugging your guitar in when the amp is already on and overdriving - if that makes any sense.

I'd like something that will go from silence to barely perceptible sound to full volume when all the way on.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Nov 23, 2011,
It has a switch so you can select one of two taper profiles. One has a hump like you mentioned, and I think the other setting is a flat taper.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I had a Boss FV-500. Worked good, built like a tank, only the sweep wasn't perfect but I've yet have to come by a volume pedal with a perfect sweep.

If you want to spend lotsa money look at Goodrich.
So the morley's aren't as good as the EB. Im low on money right now so Im trying to go the cheapest but best route. I was thinking of seeing if I could buy some aluminum and make a EB case since you can buy the parts but idk. I had found a morley on ebay for real cheap though and I like how it has a min volume option.
Chris

My Gear-
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
The Morley's are great pedals. They use a electro-optical circuitry. This means a LED is shone through a shutter onto a light dependent resister. As you move the pedal forward or back this effects how much light is let into the shutter and then determines the volume. The great thing about the Morley's is that you can adjust the volume sweep to the way you like it. Here is the link to how they are built and how to adjust the volume sweep: http://www.morleypedals.com/ttvolumeadjust.pdf

I have a different Morley which is the mini-wah/volume and it is built like a tank it is solid and an excellent pedal. On top of this they are a little smaller so they don't have a big pedal board foot print. I wouldn't hesitate looking at the Little Alligator.

EDIT:Typo
Last edited by ibanart300 at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by ibanart300
The Morley's are great pedals. They use a electro-optical circuitry. This means a LED is shone through a shutter onto a light dependent resister. As you move the pedal forward or back this effects how much light is let into the shutter and then determines the volume. The great thing about the Morley's is that you can adjust the volume sweep to the way you like it. Here is the link to how they are built and how to adjust the volume sweep: http://www.morleypedals.com/ttvolumeadjust.pdf

I have a different Morley which is the mini-wah/volume and it is built like a tank it is solid and an excellent pedal. On top of this they are a little smaller so they don't have a big pedal board foot print. I wouldn't hesitate looking at the Little Alligator.

EDIT:Typo

I do second the little alligator
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I just recently got the Morley Optical Volme Pedal, and its pretty sweet. You can open the pedal and adjust the LEDs by moving them a little bit so you can tweak it and get the sound you want. It pretty simple. I like it.

They only problem with that pedal is that it doesn't have an On/Off switch, so it's always on when theres a cable in the input jack. So I have to keep it in the beginning of the chain and unplug it when I'm done playing.

I got it used at Guitar Center for $35.
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Quote by d.c.guitar
I just recently got the Morley Optical Volme Pedal, and its pretty sweet. You can open the pedal and adjust the LEDs by moving them a little bit so you can tweak it and get the sound you want. It pretty simple. I like it.

They only problem with that pedal is that it doesn't have an On/Off switch, so it's always on when theres a cable in the input jack. So I have to keep it in the beginning of the chain and unplug it when I'm done playing.

I got it used at Guitar Center for $35.

Or buy a 1spot
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Or buy a 1spot

Does the 1spot have an ON/OFF switch?

But I meant the unplugging the instrument cable from the pedal, not the AC adapter.
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Quote by d.c.guitar
Does the 1spot have an ON/OFF switch?

But I meant the unplugging the instrument cable from the pedal, not the AC adapter.

Just unplug the 1spot....

The pedal isn't going to blow up if it's left on.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yeah, I do have a chain for all my pedals, I'm just saying, when I'm lazy it sucks to unplug the instrument cable and plug it back in every time i want to play. But I suppose I can unplug the AC adapter to the chain. Blowing up never crossed my mind, but my electricity bill does! haha
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Morley Mini Volume. It's nice and compact, super cheap and doesn't suck highs like the EB. And it's smaller than both the EB and Little Alligator.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by d.c.guitar
Yeah, I do have a chain for all my pedals, I'm just saying, when I'm lazy it sucks to unplug the instrument cable and plug it back in every time i want to play. But I suppose I can unplug the AC adapter to the chain. Blowing up never crossed my mind, but my electricity bill does! haha

Yeah, just unplug it....

You sexy piece of ass.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I think I might get the Lil Gator...Im likin what you guys are saying about it
Chris

My Gear-