Hello there all,

I am currently in the process of considering buying a mac computer for my music room to do some recordings on. I am however, in need of some guidance. Firstly, i am mainly looking on ebay so most of the macs are fairly old so are the default sound cards on these any good? Secondly, how hard is it to upgrade the sound card on these computers?
You won't be wanting to use the default sound card of anything for recording - get an external audio interface.
Quote by TheBurningFish
"OH GOD OH GOD MUM MUM I PISSED MILK OH MY GOD OH MY GOD "

Something like that. All the while, his pants are still about his ankles and his semi erect sausage drips on the carpet as he runs around like a headless chicken...
Oh ok, so no need for me to mod it at all? So by this, any old mac will do?
If you're tech savvy, I'd build a Hackintosh instead. For the price you pay for old Macs, you could get 4 times the performance for half the price if you build it yourself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just make sure you get something with at least 7500 rpm and 500 gb of ram. If you get a good interface with that you will be set.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Quote by ultimate-rocker
Just make sure you get something with at least 7500 rpm and 500 gb of ram. If you get a good interface with that you will be set.

Wow, I didn't know you can get 500gb of ram in a computer. I've only got 16gb.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Wow, I didn't know you can get 500gb of ram in a computer. I've only got 16gb.

Pfft, I laugh at your puny 16GB. My IBM Roadrunner has 100TB of RAM!
Quote by kyle62

Pfft, I laugh at your puny 16GB. My IBM Roadrunner has 100TB of RAM!

Can you really have that much ram? Or are you talking about your Hardrive?

On topic,

Definitely get an audio interface. I have an M-Audio one which goes through USB. I record with Garageband and I can get some sweet recordings. You can also program some great instrument loops, and its really easy to use.

and a few Gigs of ram should be good enough for recording! I have 1G of RAM and 320 or HD space and it works. I'd like to upgrade to at least 2G of RAM, but its good for now.

If you want to see some of what I do with my white MAC, Garageband and my little USB interface, check it out here:
http://soundcloud.com/alexrguitar/amor-extra-o

Its not professional like ProTools but it can get close.
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Sorry 500 gb of space i ment to say
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
If you are getting a Mac you may be able to opt for a firewire rather than USB interface.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
If you are getting a Mac you may be able to opt for a firewire rather than USB

Quote by d.c.guitar
Can you really have that much ram? Or are you talking about your Hardrive?

The IBM Roadrunner is one of the world's fastest supercomputers....so yes, you really can, but only if you have a few billion dollars and about 200 quare feet of space under your desk....
I love how back to back, 2 people say buy a firewire interface. Do people read before posting?

Anyways. I'd suggest at least 4gb of ram, even with a mac. I have 16 just because I use a lot of virtual instruments (Like the only live tracks on some of my sessions are vocals).
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp