Okay, so my family owns a vacation place, and for practice here I use a really cheap $99 Washburn X9 electric guitar and a Peavey Vypyr 15.

Normally, a digital modeling amp doesn't bring out the differences in guitars/pickups and pretty much sounds the same with everything, but not in this case. When I first got my Vypyr and tried it out at home with my regular guitars, it sounded great. But with this guitar, all the amp models sound the same, there's no clarity whatsoever, and I can't get a single good sound out of this setup because the pickups on this guitar are really that bad.

Now I don't need a new guitar altogether, as this guitar works fine for random wanking, and getting a supremely splendid pickup would be a waste of money to just use with a Vypyr 15.

So, can someone recommend a decent, mid-high output humbucker pickup that is reasonably cheap? No more than $40, please.
Maybe just go on ebay and get an Epiphone humbucker or something? They're unspectacular, but you'll get one for a low price and you'll definitely end up with something useable
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
go to your local music store and see what they got used.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Irongear "hot slag" Cheap, and cheerful
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Try a GFS pickup:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html

Right in your price range, nice sound, sturdy, RIDICULOUS array of variations to choose from. I use their Retrotron Hot Nashville humbucker set in one of my guitars and it's my all-time favorite. Some people worry they sound "cheap" compared to Duncan, DiMarzio or even Gibson pickups, but I haven't noticed that at all.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
Try a GFS pickup:

Right in your price range, nice sound, sturdy, RIDICULOUS array of variations to choose from. I use their Retrotron Hot Nashville humbucker set in one of my guitars and it's my all-time favorite. Some people worry they sound "cheap" compared to Duncan, DiMarzio or even Gibson pickups, but I haven't noticed that at all.
Damn, $20-$30 for pickups of that quality? That's a steal!

Would the Crunchy Rails be too hot for a Vypyr? Reason I want that one is its similarity to the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in my Strat, thus giving me a remotely similar sound to what I usually use. If not, I might get myself one of those.
Quote by sonic_777111
Try a GFS pickup:

+9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Love GFS

/fanboy
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have had a lot of success with Wilkinson single coils. I actually run two together at the bridge configured as a humbucker and was very surprised at how good they work. I haven't tried their humbuckers but if the single coils i have are anything to go by I would think they would be quite acceptable. They are even cheaper than GFS.
So if you want something even cheaper that will get you out of trouble they would be worth a run.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Try some GAS pickups
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Can anyone here speak for the Seymour Duncan Liberator pot? Is it actually worth it and does it work? We don't have any good soldering equipment out here, so that pot would be ideal.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Can anyone here speak for the Seymour Duncan Liberator pot? Is it actually worth it and does it work? We don't have any good soldering equipment out here, so that pot would be ideal.

It works. A soldering iron and solder are MUCH more "worth it" than the Liberator though IMO. It ends up being cheaper to buy an iron than a few of the Liberators.
Get a GFS Crunchy Pat or Fat Pat. I wouldn't recommend rails with a 15W modeler. You don't want anything too hot with such a low wattage modeler.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X