I mainly play thrash metal and I'm looking for a new pedal, I was wondering which pedal would be the best for my style. I was looking at the MXR Fullbore, Boss metalcore, or the boss metalzone, any suggestions?
i dont know how good the mxr fullbore and boss metalxone are but the boss metalzone is RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MXR definitely. Boss distortion pedals are gutless wonders when it comes to tone. MXR Fullbore definitely has more meat to it, and a whole lot of versatility, which is always a good thing.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Quote by music_warrior
MXR definitely. Boss distortion pedals are gutless wonders when it comes to tone. MXR Fullbore definitely has more meat to it, and a whole lot of versatility, which is always a good thing.

and sounds like angry bees in a can
The mxr sounds really quite horrible to my ears. Each to their own I suppose, though. The Barber dirty bomb may be better.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by bogg808
and sounds like angry bees in a can

Pretty much how my Metalzone sounded to me.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Stay away from Metal Muff, Metal Zone, Metal Core and Fullbore Metal, they all sound like bees in a can, way too trebly, harsh, razor sharp in a bad way, I've tried all of them just for gimmicks, and they all sucked imo.

The Barber Dirty Bomb would suit you well, but then I'd say that I've tried it in the clean channel of a low gain tube combo, would be very dependant on your amplifier.

Also I would recommend Amptweaker Tight Metal, it's pretty versatile tone-wise and heavy gain, the guys from Misery Index use them in front of their clean channels.

But nothing would take the place of a well made high gain tube amp, don't forget that.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
IMO the Metal Muff is the best of the MXR, Boss, EHX price range, but it still is a bit bee's in can. It can be a fun pedal for just thrashing stuff out at home though, especially at really low volumes when I struggle to get a decent sound out of my amp.

The tight metal is a great shout. I've often been tempted by it.

To be honest, if your playing in a live situation it is worth spending the buck on a good amp that suits thrash, you won't really want to be getting your base sound with a pedal. A good call if you are prepared to save a bit would be a metal amp of some description and stick a tube screamer/bad monkey or something similar in front of it to tighten up the sound and get that hump in the mids.
What amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ragingben

Any of the pedals recommended will sound horrible through anything but a tube amps clean channel.

Any distortion pedal at all, in my experience. I know my V3 hates it when I try to use my DistStation in channel 1 or 2. Has to be clean. Same thing happened with my old Peavey 6505, although not with as horrible results.

Then again, I think that's the point of distortion pedals as a majority; they emulate the crunch of a much larger amp/head without actually having one. Of course, the sound of a true amp-based distortion and a pedal is night and day. I still like rocking a dist pedal because the crunch is more controllable and focused in my ears.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals