Hello all!

Happy hoiday's!

So, when I play guitar in my dorm room, I have two problems.

1) I get bad humming Well, actually, it sounds more like "whooshing" as if you had put your ear against a sea shell.

Now, this is somewhat alleviated when I turn off the "boost/reverb."

2) (related to 1) I find I have to crank the volume up more than usual to get any sound...

What are some good ways to rectify this problem?

I've tried tinkering about A LITTLE with the surge protector. I.e, trying to take things off the surge protector and plug them into the outlet straight....

Is this because I have my pedal board (using one-spot power source....) hooked up?
Does the guitar you're using have single coils? Single coils pick up noise from anything with a high current passing through it, such as TV screens, fluorescent lights, laptops/computers, and sometimes the wiring in walls.

Also, what amp are you using? That would help us out a lot in determining the problem.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Thanks, Flux'd,
I have two humbuckers on my les paul, and I play through a solid state tech 21 trademark 60 amp
Hah, I actually have that exact same amp in my living room right now haha. I love the clean channel and the crunch has a nice British flavor to it with a somewhat loose bottom end.. perfect for rock and blues.

I've noticed when the reverb is up past noon on mine it gets that woosh you're talking about, but if I keep it below that it sounds fine. It's pretty irritating and I'm not sure why it does that.. As far as volume I find you only have to turn the drive knob to about 9 o'clock to get nice crunch and plenty of volume for home use.

You might try putting a patch cable in the FX loop and see if that helps the noise issue, or trying a different circuit in your house, such as in another room and see if the noise goes away.

EDIT: I just saw you're using a pedalboard with this, try running the guitar straight into the amp without anything in the FX loop and see if the sound is still there.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 23, 2011,