Hello all!

Happy hoiday's!

So, when I play guitar in my dorm room, I have two problems.

I think this propblem is really stemming from my amp (not my guitar plus I have humbuckers)....

1) I get bad humming Well, actually, it sounds more like "whooshing" as if you had put your ear against a sea shell.

Now, this is somewhat alleviated when I turn off the "boost/reverb."

2) (related to 1) I find I have to crank the volume up more than usual to get any sound...

What are some good ways to rectify this problem?

I've tried tinkering about A LITTLE with the surge protector. I.e, trying to take things off the surge protector and plug them into the outlet straight....

Is this because I have my pedal board (using one-spot power source....) hooked up?
I don't know much about amps, for your second problem. Sounds like your speakers dying perhaps?
Epiphone Les Paul with Dual Humbuckers.....Tech 21 Trademark 60 amp. Effects board using One Spot Power source....
I think you're talking about hiss, rather than hum. Hiss is not caused by power issues, hum is. So cross that off your list. First, remove all outboard gear and plug straight into the amp and see if there is less noise. If so, you may have noisy pedals or you're not setting them correctly. If the noise is the same, the amp may have a problem, or you're just running too much gain. Of course turning off the boost will reduce the hiss. Where do you have your guitar volume set at?
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance
Would the fact that I am using a Piece of plywood for a pedalboard be part of the problem?

I'm going from guitar into Tuner-->MXR classic Distortion--->Big Muff Pi--->Boss Japanese PHaser PH-2---->amplifier
Quote by Legsilver
Would the fact that I am using a Piece of plywood for a pedalboard be part of the problem?

I'm going from guitar into Tuner-->MXR classic Distortion--->Big Muff Pi--->Boss Japanese PHaser PH-2---->amplifier

no...